A440 wont go out of 1st, no reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
I got a 91 FJ80 today. It will go in 1st gear, but wont shift to 2nd and above or go in reverse. The PO dropped the pan recently and said there was no metal shavings, and the filter was clean. Any ideas on troubleshooting?

Is that why the PO dropped the pan? Would it help to check/adjust the cable at the throttle body, check shifter linkage?? IDK

You might want to drop the pan and take a look for yourself. I'd check the solenoids per the FSM. One or more may have went bad. You might as well replace the filter and clean off the magnets while you are in there too. I just got a filter & gasket at Napa for $36 the other day but it was for a '96.

I would check the trans. cable being stuck. Mike

Similar issue A440 reverse not working after Vaccum hose fix on a 1991 3 FE

Hi all,
I own a 1991 jf80 (3FE / A440) and am experiencing a similar issue, to the one described above.

Last week It would not sift out of first gear automatically while on drive position. But it would work partially ok manually on City streets.

SINCE I OWN THE TRUCK JUST RECENTLY and I found advices to change all the vacum hoses before any trany work. I work on this today. All of the vacuum hoses were replaced and or repluged on the correct places.

Then I took the truck for a test drive, it went up the hills, and down, and on flat lands perfectly. It*shifted *AUTOMATICALLY and the issue was gone. AFTER ONE YEAR DRIVIG IT THIS WAS THE BEST RIDE.

But ... :(

Once I got home and I shifted to reverse to park it. It wouldn't work properly. I had to push the pedal down to reach 2500 RPM to make it go back very slowly.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with my old lady?
Thanks a lot and greetings from VENEZUELA
Marco Salas

reverse is sketchy in my 91 until its warmed up for about 10 minutes or so. but cold, it takes about 1000 rpm to grab into gear then will slip out

I got a 91 FJ80 today. It will go in 1st gear, but wont shift to 2nd and above or go in reverse. The PO dropped the pan recently and said there was no metal shavings, and the filter was clean. Any ideas on troubleshooting?
any update on this situation. Having the exact same issue as of yesterday/
Drove 3 hours on Friday, then 3 more home on Sunday with no issues.
Now I cant get it to shift at all up past first.
fluid is within the Hot range when warmed and on flat ground.
was going to start with solenoids and a flush.
Rodneys party trick sounds hella fun, but I'll save that for the end if its still needed ( i actually dont even know if that works on this year)
1994 fj80
thanks in advance to anyone with help.

I bet it's a bad clutch pack No. 2. Reverse is mechnical plus the A440 is fully hydraulic anyway.

I spent a month and many hundreds of dollars trying to figure out a similar situation in my '94...

You can read all about it in my build tread.

There are 2 different transmissions being discussed in this thread.
The A440F sits behind the 3FE engine in a 1991 and 1992 FJ80. It is completely hydraulic and has NOTHING to do with vacuum lines whatsoever, so what was said in post #7 should be ignored.
The A442F sits behind the 1FZ-FE in a 1993-1994 FZJ80 and is electronically controlled with solenoids that are run by the ECU.

There are 2 different transmissions being discussed in this thread.
The A440F sits behind the 3FE engine in a 1991 and 1992 FJ80. It is completely hydraulic and has NOTHING to do with vacuum lines whatsoever, so what was said in post #7 should be ignored.
The A442F sits behind the 1FZ-FE in a 1993-1994 FZJ80 and is electronically controlled with solenoids that are run by the ECU.

For the related thread on the 94, go here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom