A440 to 4-speed question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm making good progress on my 4-speed (H42) swap into my FJ62. I'm about to mount the split case and am stumped. What goes between the tranny face shown and the first half of my transfer case? The auto tranny had a roller bearing and a spacer there...

It also seems I might be missing the rear "adapter" housing on the H42. Is that true? Appreciate the help.

20200918_181655.jpg

This is an early-80's H42, so I don't think it had an adapter. Question still stands though, what goes there? If a spacer, will the spacer from the A440 work?

If you are using your FJ62 transfer case you will need that spacer. Now, my opinion only, but it looks like you have your crossmember mount figured out and drilled and tapped. So, go head and remove the 4 speed and mount the transfer case to the 4 speed (after installing the adapter) then re-install them as a single unit. Sounds like a PITA, and it is but if you don't do that you will have to split the transfer case under the truck to complete the install. Not the greatest of conditions. It can be done and others have I was just not comfortable doing it. I wanted to see everything together, sealed and snug and torqued before I installed them. And no, the spacer for the A440 has a different shape to it. Need to get one from say a late 80's FJ60.
You are almost there my brother!

Ah man, appreciate the encouragement. I fear I don't have the spacer that came with the 4- speed... digging like mad through my parts piles. I do wonder if I can use the one from the auto. Might you know how "tall " that spacer is supposed to be?

Ah man, appreciate the encouragement. I fear I don't have the spacer that came with the 4- speed... digging like mad through my parts piles. I do wonder if I can use the one from the auto. Might you know how "tall " that spacer is supposed to be?
The spacer is marked in red.
FBD5B535-FC6A-4EE2-8ED3-E37417E7A10E.jpeg

Edit: this is from my 87 fj60 with factory h42

I don't off the top of my head but I can measure it in the morning. It pretty much fits that footprint of the back of the gear box though.
@NeverGiveUpYota has a good picture of the whole assembly together. The spacer is painted orange. Scroll down it is near the bottom of the page after the pictures of hail damage.
I think I tried to use my spacer from the A440 but it was a different shape. Something was wonky about it so I didn't use it. If you have it off the auto hold it up to the gearbox and see if it lines up okay. I think it is poor fit though.

I think Toyota calls that piece an "adapter", not a spacer. It's my understanding that you can mate a late 80's split case to an early 80's gearbox (which does not have that adapter) by using what Toyota and Specter call a Stopper. Basically looks like a section of tubing.

Either way I for sure don't have that adapter. Hm.

Last edited:
Wondering if one of the working professionals on here can chime in, calling @FJ40Jim , @orangefj45 and @65swb45 ! Help!
You could probably move the transmission crossmember forward on the frame. You’ll have to drill and tap the frame. Or maybe more than that. I’m not sure.
The easiest thing would be sourcing one of those adapters and that’s the proper way to do it.

Actually, the adapter sits aft of the tranny mounts, so I don't think I'd need to shift the crossmember at all.

The adapter, to my knowledge, was essentially a place holder for the later implementation of the fifth gear.

Anyways. Appreciate the input!

Actually, the adapter sits aft of the tranny mounts, so I don't think I'd need to shift the crossmember at all.

The adapter, to my knowledge, was essentially a place holder for the later implementation of the fifth gear.

Anyways. Appreciate the input!
Yes you’re correct

you stated above it's an early 80's H42 but the long tail shaft says different.
is there any rust in the bearings? looks like it has been apart for awhile.

Hey there. Bearings are great. As are the internals. So you're saying this is likely a late eighties based on the length of the output shaft, correct? Sounds like I missed the adapter piece when I picked this up from the parts yard, if so.

Still having a hard time making sense of the exploded views and cross-sections I can find. If I do need that adapter, what goes behind the picture I've shown above? Is there a spacer (tube shaped standoff) and then another bearing and then the 1st half of my split case?

This is what you need. This is just an example. I would ask around on MUD first, someone is bound to have one. Otherwise you are going to have to change transfer cases and that is unnecessarily expensive. Also not having the adapter will goof up the length of your drive shafts. By that I mean you can use drive shafts from and 85-87 without modification. Your 89 shafts will have to be lengthened and shortened if you plan to use those.

Again relying on @NeverGiveUpYota because she took better pictures than any of us who have done this. Scroll down to the bottom and she has pictures of the trans going together with the spacer.

Not a ton of help but personally to get an accurate length, text Georg and he can prob get it for you. It’s shown there, embarrassingly being used as a section to press my assembly together. I say that because I did it poorly and had to pull it back apart. But it’s the section on top above the topmost gear. So fairly long, possibly 3” and stout in thickness.

AC0D5897-7F3B-4DC2-AE4C-F3D820D2B10C.jpeg

Am I missing something here? Why can’t the 62 split case bolt up without the spacer if it’s an early 4-speed (split case version)? I thought the split cases were backwards compatible. There’s is a tube spacer that sits on the 4-speed (split case type) output iirc. The early cases cannot be used on a 5-speed/H55F because there’s no place to attach the plastic oiler funnel-thingy; however, a later split case on a early 4-speed (split case version) would be an upgrade with the larger idler (roller bearings instead of bushings on the fj62 t-case).

4-speed with transfer case 34mm idler & no spacer housing
4-speed with transfer case 38mm idler w/spacer housing & approximately when the castings changed to include the 5th gear oiler

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? Why can’t the 62 split case bolt up without the spacer if it’s an early 4-speed (split case version)? I thought the split cases were backwards compatible. There’s is a tube spacer that sits on the 4-speed (split case type) output iirc. The early cases cannot be used on a 5-speed/H55F because there’s no place to attach the plastic oiler funnel-thingy; however, a later split case on a early 4-speed (split case version) would be an upgrade with the larger idler (roller bearings instead of bushings on the fj62 t-case).

4-speed with transfer case 34mm idler & no spacer housing
4-speed with transfer case 38mm idler w/spacer housing & approximately when the castings changed to include the 5th gear oiler

he needs the spacer, his current output shaft is too long to bolt a split case up without the spacer. the splines would need to be all the way to the trans housing to just install a transfer case without the spacer.
depending on the year a 34mm transfer case will work with an H55, any transfer made after 1983? will have the provision for the 5th gear oiler.
this has been done many times on here and any H55 came stock with a 34 mm transfer case before 1985, as H55's were available in 1983?

Yep. After digging deeper and contacting the gent who gave me the transmission, I've learned it is indeed a late model four speed. So yeah, I definitely need that adapter piece or the split case would not assemble correctly.

Agreed about it being cheaper, potentially, to source an entire transmission versus asking someone for just the adapter. This is the project that never ends for me and it's frustrating to realize I'm missing such a critical part.

Again, I really appreciate the help from everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom