a343f slipping after transgo install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed a Transgo shift kit in my turbo truck prior to sending it to the tuner. I hadn't driven the truck after installing it as I needed to get a tune done to operate it safely. Now the tuner is having trouble with it slipping between 3rd and 4th. While I was in there, I turned the line pressure adjustment to high to further increase shift firmness. Transmission fluid level is correct at temperature.
Anyone with transmission knowledge have any suggestions? Transmission worked perfectly before install.

Thanks

Truck build thread here

I think I found the problem. This gasket had slipped out of place during install and was blocking the hole. Debating whether to go further or just button it up and test it. The brand new fluid is black and smells burnt. Hopefully I didn’t do too much damage driving it around.
8B338521-D028-469C-B8E6-1AEC4BEDAF47.jpeg

I think I found the problem. This gasket had slipped out of place during install and was blocking the hole. Debating whether to go further or just button it up and test it. The brand new fluid is black and smells burnt. Hopefully I didn’t do too much damage driving it around.View attachment 3027584
How much fiber clutch material in the pan/filter? That would be a big factor in how much damage you did to the clutches.

How much fiber clutch material in the pan/filter? That would be a big factor in how much damage you did to the clutches.
There was a bunch of dust/goop in the pan but no chunks of anything. I definitely wore some years off of it. Going to fill it up now and see how it goes. I have decided to begin rebuilding the spare trans I have regardless as I will likely need it sooner than later.

Welp I got it all filled back up and tried to test it. It wont shift into any gear and if I rev it in neutral it lurches forward. I think I must have melted the clutches together or something. Whatever it is, I think this transmission is coming out. Anyone ever pulled just the trans?

Well, I finally got my other transmission in and the truck is back on the road. What a dirty, crappy job that was. Still having some slushy shifting though. It seems to want to go all the way to red line before shifting when I ease up on the gas. Also, 1st and 2nd seem weak, like it doesn't want to move unless I give it more gas, then it kind of kicks in and goes. I'm fiddling with the kick down to see if it improves. I tell you I am pretty tired of transmissions at this point.

Well, I managed to kill my A440F in my 91 recently- my last trip up the Sequoias National Park, 5 miles from camp on a 4x4 trail and started hearing whining nose from the tranny. I didn't pull over right away and wanting to get back onto pavement. 3 miles later, i can feel the tranny started to slip and by the time i pulled into camp, i have lost 1st 2nd and reverse. The transmission oil was burnt. The only symptoms that I've noticed in the past few months was hard shifting out of 1st to 2nd on cold start. Transmission oil was new since around 10-15k miles ago when I upgraded the valve body. I have been beating on the tranny hard for the past 4-5 yrs and I think the internal clutches finally given up to ghost. Change fluid often, install a tranny temp gauge to prevent overheating..... lesson learned.

hoping I didn’t get a junk tranny. When I had it open after I got it the fluid was perfect and everything looked very clean. I know that doesn’t mean much but I’m not giving up on it just yet. I realized that my speedo isn’t working which the ecu uses to know what gear the trans is in so that’s the first thing I’ll be figuring out. Next up is the linkage adjustment as I swapped the shift levers between transmissions since the “new” one was very rusty.

Here’s the carnage from transmission no 1. Forward clutch was completely fused together. Took nearly an hour with a hammer to get the two drums separated. Rebuilding with a kit from atfspeed good for 950hp according to them. The other frictions still had the writing visible on the friction surface.

193D0658-92B0-41F3-AD54-4D25A4C480EA.jpeg
5FC686D9-87C4-4392-AEF0-F42C8D002435.jpeg

Fixed the speed sensor which solved the shifting issue. It was a broker wire at the transfer case. Still has a slip in reverse. I’m just going to live with it for now until I can get the other one rebuilt.

View attachment 3048279
It's the "broker" wires I hate the most...always charging extra fees and such...

Seriously, I feel your pain. I'm into this myself in the next few weeks, on a 2000 LX470. How much trouble did you have getting the gearbox back in?

Seriously, I feel your pain. I'm into this myself in the next few weeks, on a 2000 LX470. How much trouble did you have getting the gearbox back in?
It honestly was not that bad with a transmission jack, just a dirty greasy heavy job that I’m not looking forward to doing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom