A young padawan looking for mentors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum after months of researching all of the useful exchanges from members. I have learned a lot and amazed by how active this community is.

I've caught the Fj60/62 bug and I want to start laying out a path and eventually owning one myself. A little bit of myself, I am a 30 year old male currently in San Jose but spend my time in Sacramento on the weekends. I spend a lot of time outdoors (i.e. climbing/biking/backpacking) and my current car is a newer outback. I never had the opportunity to work on cars while growing up but it is something I am very interested in. Especially since I want to own my own Fj60/62 one day.

Although I've spent countless hours looking at potential buys in the classified section, I'd really like to learn more about the car and have a hands on experience. I was wondering if anyone on this forum was in the bay area or sacramento that would be willing to host me on evenings or weekends?

I'd be willing to get my hands greasy on any of your projects and bring some beers!

The FJ60 has always been and still is the easiest vehicle on the road to work on. If a person can't fix stuff on it, they can't fix anything.
My suggestion would be to test drive two of them and see if you like it.

Yeah I'd ideally like to do that as well! Just looking for others who would be willing to take me under their wings and providing an extra hand.

Join your local 4x4 club. There are a few up in your area. Click on the clubhouse tab.

Another way to get your feet wet is to buy and fix up an old motorcycle. An old Honda CB350 for instance can still be had pretty cheap and sell for pretty good money when fixed up. All the principals of repair are needed on a bike and its small an fits in a lot less space.

WELCOME To MUD .....ERIC :cool:

autowp.ru_toyota_land_cruiser_60_us-spec_2.jpg

Maybe click on the "clubhouse" section at the top menu bar and look for a TLCA club near you. Local clubs get together for trail runs etc. And always will have room for a rider. Contact the president or one of the officers of the club and ask if you can come to a meeting or trail run. Since many driver's are solo you should be able to ride along in different vehicles and see what level of off road build and what model interest you.

I would suggest popping over to Stockton and visit Valley Hybrids. But to be honest,
just buy one. I’m betting Georg will point you in the right direction.
Don‘t wait around pontificating about what you may or may not need to know.
Fix a budget, look carefully and get one that you like. That’s the time to learn.
I’ve seen more amazing work, energy and builds by new owners. Once you get one,
start a build thread here and I guarantee you will learn all you can absorb and get all
the help and guidance you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom