A weird FZJ80 project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just started a non-standard FZJ80 build. It really means a lot to me so I have prepared a website and a Facebook page.

I think it's time to let you know about this, although the vehicle is in its early stages and there are many months of work ahead of me. Feel free to comment on my Facebook page.

The website link: 4x4 camper

Facebook: My Facebook page

It's almost 1 am here so I will go to sleep but I promise to provide some answers in 12-15 hours.

From FB.

image-2903821295.jpg

image-2903821295.jpg

Looks interesting.

I'll be watching on FB :cheers:

You take great pictures

Subscribed!:popcorn:

Sent from this fast HTC thing using IH8MUD

Going to be a major undertaking :wrench::wrench::wrench:, subscribed :popcorn:.

Finally, someone is doing a project like this for a family of four, not for a couple of two people. I'm very curious to see how this turns out as well.

awesome project.. following this for sure

Finally, someone is doing a project like this for a family of four, not for a couple of two people. I'm very curious to see how this turns out as well.

You would need a twin cab version for 4 wouldnt you ?

Will keep an eye out, have been working on a similar plan, but putting bigger version of 80 suspension with coil overs under a swb Toyota Coaster, so I fully understand what your now embarking on, good luck with it.

You take great pictures

I am photographer, but given the current situation of photographers, I need to fill my free time with something. No job is no money but lots of free time :frown:

Some more details:

I need to keep the overall weight under 3000kg, which will be tough. I don't know the weight of the frame, engine, tranny and suspension. When I put the Canter cabin on, I will have the vehicle weighed and this will be my starting point. I assume that the weight will be around 2000kg, so I will have 1000kg bit for the 'living room'.

-The living room will be made of thin fiberglass reinforced with extruded polistyrene or strips of lightweight plywood (all covered with resin). I assume 100kg
- the living room will be on an aluminium frame, weight 50kg
- the floor will be a sandwich of plywood/XPS/plywood. I assume 40kg
- furniture will be ceiba wood (or other lightweight exotic) and sometimes fiberglass/XPS/fiberglass composite. Definitely no more than 50kg. I've made such furniture before and it's very light.
- water tanks made of aluminium. Empty tanks will be 30kg, filled will with water will be 130-150kg

- batteries 30kg
- windows, stove, fridge, toile and other accessories will be around 150kg
- beds, seats and mattresses is 70kg

other things will definitely weigh another 150-200kg: metal reinforcements, pipes, webasto heating, hinges, locks, carpeting, electrical cables etc... You will be really surprised how adding a few things increases weight dramatically.

I might be off with my measurements by a lot (in either direction) but I will definitely keep an eye on that, as low weight is the key factor. Luckily I used to be an avid cyclist so putting spokes, saddles and bolts on a kitchen scale is considered by me as normal behavior.

What worries me is the base weight of the vehicle. The 1FZ-FE is sooooooo overbuilt and really heavy as hell.

Why not swap in a cummins or another diesel at this point?

Oh and by the way, do you know someone who could make a drawing for me? It can be 3D or even drawn by hand. I simply need someone who will let me transfer my idea onto a piece of paper, to make my website more attractive.

I can't offer money but I can offer an advert and official thanks on my FB page and website. Both sites are gaining popularity so it is not such a bad offer.

Why not swap in a cummins or another diesel at this point?

Money, money, money. The 1FZ-FE is really cheap and it is already on the car. Making any type of swap would require cash for the engine, cash for the engine-tranny adapters, a redesighed exhaust etc...

But a swap is on my mind. This is why I chose one of the most populars swap platforms (the LC) and a tilting cabin to make any repairs easy.

The vehicle will be mainly powered by LPG (the 1FZ-FE is a forklift motor so running on gas is OK). LPG cuts your costs by 30-40% so that's bearable for now.

But I would like to make this vehicle so much special, that my first thought for a swap is a 6.2 liter Corvette engine. Can you imagine doing a 1/4 mile run in a camper vehicle :D

But for financial reasons I will have to stick to the 1FZ-FE :bang:

Well said, that will save you some big bucks.

Is that 3000KG (6614 lbs) unloaded or will you have to weigh it on the road? have you seen this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/331111-cut-fat-80-series-diet.html

My plan is to keep the overall max weight under 3t (6614lbs).

If the stock 80 weighs 4700lbs, then I 'assume' the vehicle minus body will be under 3700lbs. The seats are darn heavy, as well as the tailgate, doors etc.

Putting on a Canter cab (per the FSM around 800lbs) gives me 4500lbs.

That gives me a margin of 960kg (2100lbs).

There are a lot of variables because I am also putting the cab on a diet, making some mods to the frame etc...

So right now we can only guess... As soon as I have my frame on wheels I will weigh it on a scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom