1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Unique Job Opportunity-- would you do it?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PolterGeist, Aug 1, 2005.

1. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

My wife is studying a very specialized field of science at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, which is one of the two universities in the world to offer a full program in the field.

When she has her PH.D. she will be able to get a job literally anywhere in the world.

One of her professors recommended her for ajob-- a very Unique one.

It would last a year, and would pay $100,000 plus all expenses for her and me.

She would be a researcher at a very remote field station in Northeastern Alaska Near the border of the Yukon Territory. We would live in a village of approximately 30 people. We would have no TV, no internet and very primitive phone service. (1 line for the whole town) The electricity comes from an on-site generator, and food is flown in by airplane.

There is no doctor anywhere near town, so I could possibly fill that void, the problem is I will not have completed residency by that time.

I think it would be pretty boring for me, but on the other hand it might be quite an adventure.

Any thoughts?

Steve

2. Jman

Jman

Sure--when you gonna get a chance like that again? Do it now, before you have kids. Sock away most of the cash. Put the rest of your life on hold.

Do you have any hobbies? Now would be the time to start. . . . .

3. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Whats to think about??? Do it! :bounce:

TY

4. MaddMatt

MaddMatt

I take it you don't have kids? If no kids, I say what are you waiting for? You have less responsibilities now than you ever will again, because every day adds something. Most people who want an adventure would spend money to be in a setting like that. To do it for a year, and bank $100k? To me there's no question. Your career can wait while you're having a life, but your life will not wait for your career.
    Thats my 2cents.
    -Matt

5. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Even if you had kids that is a hell of an opprotunity. I would do it now and take my wife and kids with me..

6. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

If I had no real ties(mortgage, etc) like I do now. I would do it in a heartbeat!

7. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Go for it! One year is a relatively short period of time in the scheme of things. Sounds a little like the old TV show NORTHERN EXPOSURE the way you described it..........
    It's a once in a lifetime chance.

8. Biff

Biff

With no kids, do it. That kind of cash only comes to you once in a lifetime. What a cool opportunity.

9. youngdogs

youngdogs

The family & I spent a night in Beaver Creek (Yukon Territory) on our way from Anchorage to Haines. It was the end of October, light dusting of snow on the ground. We drove for more than 4 hours without seeing another car. Yes it is a remote place, but I wouldn't call it boring. It's what you make of it. We loved Alaska and most likely would move back if I would get a good job. (We lived in Anchorage, which has a lot of pluses.) My sister lived outside of Fairbanks for a number of years (with only a couple of people anywhere near). When she wasn't working she hunted, rode her snowmachine, went skeet shooting, etc.

It sounds like a wonderful experience for your wife. How will it look to her professors if she turns this opportunity down? Also, will this interfer with your training? What will you do durning this time? You mentioned you can help the locals.

No kids to think about .... heck, you could stand on your head for a year. Do it!

10. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

Are you and the wifey solid? (Don't answer here - just a question for you)

These kind of conditions will teach you things about yourself...

11. loeky

loeky

that sounds like an amazing opportunity. if you can put off your residency for a while, do it! you'll have a million great experiences to keep for the rest of your life.

12. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Better than politics, that's for sure!!!

Hell yeah I'd do it.

13. mabrodis

mabrodis

I believe the no phone thing, but I'm not so sure on the no TV thing. I was watching some show about villages like that way up North and many of them have great satellite reception, and in these remote villages where you think everyone would be out working/fishing and such, no, instead they were hooked on soap operas...very different.

It sounds like a blast...I'd do it in a heartbeat, but make sure you and your wife are TIGHT, IMO it could be a awesome experience for both of you, or it could suck and rip you apart..just make sure you're on the same wavelength about it.

I lived in Alaska for 10 yrs growing up, cool place, nothing but fond memories of it... :cheers:

On second thought, I don't think you should go...just give me the name and address of the contact and I will let them know you're not coming and instead they are getting someone who almost mastered an elementary-school research class and can usually open a bandaid on the 3rd try... :D

14. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Sounds fun for the first couple of months... then what will you do for the other 10 months? :frown:

15. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

It sounds amazing, remeber you can work your hole life making money, that you can spend and make some back, but when you spend your time you will have it again.

Do it man.

Sounds to me like you need to bring a LC with you!!!

16. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you ever watched the show Northern Exposure? :D

It sounds like a good opportunity, but you may have trouble finding work after being out of the loop for a year. Most professionals are at their highest value right out of school. If you cruise around off the grid for a year, it may be hard for you to secure a position with a good paying prestigious hospital. County hospitals and out of the way med centers pay less, but they might see outback medicine and GP experience as a plus. Less technology, more stethoscope and gut feeling / raw medicine. It could go either way for you. Maybe you'd love it so much that you'd never return to the lower 48. I'd seriously consider making the move. It sounds like a good way to pay off some of the student loans, but it may hurt you financially in the long run. With both of you working though, that will probably not be a big concern. Good luck.

17. ozarkcruiser

ozarkcruiser

I'll bet a case of my favorite beer that you will have kids after that year!
    :beer:

18. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

The professor who suggested it to her was recruited to take the position herself. Seems they have trouble filling it. She was willing to go, but her husband was not. The people hiring asked if there was another member of faculty who would be a good fit, or a grad student.

She immediately thought of us since we are always talking about one day packing up the Land Cruiser and heading down to Costa Rica-- her to do research in the rain forests and me to deliver babies in the back of the cruiser or soemthing like that.

To answer questions, I could take a year off, yes. I Have not talked to a any counselors at the med school, so I don't know if it would interfere with getting a good residency or not... .good point though. (Note to self....)

If I could not do anything in medicine, I could teach. I do have a teaching certificate for High School and Junior High social studies, and with an MD I should be able to teach life sciences. Depends on alaska's laws with teaching certification. But, I'd imagine that if there are any kids in that area, they are homeschooled or charter schooled out of necessity, so they may not need teachers.

I have to admit, it certainly appeals to me. Like I said, I've always taked big about taking off to a remote area and doing something like that, but I never expected the chance to come so soon, and before both of our educations are complete.

One thing is certain however, my wife will have to get over her aversion to shooting the .375 H&H Mag if she is going to go trapesing about the wilderness in Alaska. :)

And yes, I was thinking of the show Northern Exposure. (I've actually been to the town in which it was taped-- Roslyn, Washington) A big-city college boy in the wilds of alaska.

And I guess I'd want to hurry up and get the cruiser fixed up.

Hey-- with no internet at least, you wouldn't have to worry about me stirring up more political s*** on this board for a year or so! :D

Steve

19. mabrodis

mabrodis

Hmm...your WIFE will be shooting the .373 H&H?? I am not surprised she doesn't want to shoot it...I'm not sure I would want to shoot it.

Actually most people wandering around would carry a .44 mag. Unless you're hunting you aren't going to shoot anything over probably 20', and the .44mag packs a pretty good whallop at that range...probably not like the .375, but a rifle that big is awkward to carry and usually you don't want to drag a nice hunting rifle with you through the brush (and Alaska has ALOT of brush, just slightly less brush that mosquitos.. :D )

20. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Or a 12 guage with slugs.... but the .375 would always be in the cruiser or leaned up against a tree... US Forest Service (US Dept. of the Interior is her would be employer) issues .375 H&H Mags that are cut down to 20" barrels and requires that there be at least one of them per 3 person crew that is out.

Steve