A Tow Rig for 'Bob' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Speeder

InstaH8R
Threads
I was planning on a 7.3 F250 or something a little older. But after getting the opportunity to dump the Storm Trooper Tow Rig I jumped at the chance and got this beast at the price they had rediculously dropped it to.

29657_400588727420_501052420_411276.jpg

2008 2WD V8 5.7 liter SR5
32K miles and was an older man in St. Augustine trade-in. Still has Toyota Certification to 100K...

I laughed alot as I got close to home becuase of the mileage it got with cruise set at 80mph and A/C blowing cold...

29657_400610167420_501052420_411317.jpg

Yeah.... I filled up right as the light came on so at 20 gallons I got 282 miles I got 19.1/mpg.... that's only 10 less than the Storm Trooper! woohoo... I could easily get 20+ if I laid off the gas and A/C...

Odd. this truck is the only 5.7 I could find with out the tow pkg.... wish it had it but at least I know that no one has towed with it. The previous traded it in because "it was too much power" and supposedly got a V6 Taco....
This thing has got power. It's waaaay bigger than I wanted but very happy with it.
Staying as-is? Hell no... the first things to go is the chrome.

Sweet Tundra Eric.

That 5.7 is a beast! It only gets 15 MPG when pushing all 4 in the LC.

Alls I'm sayin' is the chrome better be glad it's over cast and humid today...

Looks like 3,220 on the odo..

Hmmm 5.7 in the "Bob". good idea!

Those are nice trucks...have good power too. I'm suprised it would get that kind of MPG (whiich is very good for a full size truck with 5.7). My suburban gets a good round 13mpg on the hwy unloaded. :censor:

Maybe I used the wrong word....suburban with 496, barely makes 13 mpg on hwy. But I never expected to make any fuel economy off this thing. I suspect it gets the worse MPG on the planet....maybe a one ton with same engine gets worse.

Last edited:
Dont mean to burst your bubble there E. but if you are going by the computer on the tundra for MPG they tend to lie.

My sequoia get 15 mpg no matter what. computer did not change average mpg even while towing.

when we calcutated using gps we were getting 3-5 mpg less...

Dont mean to burst your bubble there E. but if you are going by the computer on the tundra for MPG they tend to lie.

My sequoia get 15 mpg no matter what. computer did not change average mpg even while towing.

when we calcutated using gps we were getting 3-5 mpg less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWErZWrH4Y

370 miles - Where i filled up in St Augustine to Auburn. after running my "back home errands" the odo showed 382. Filled it back up and it held 20.1 gallons... Do's the math as to what I got.

PS - this thing has a computer? where? I had no clue. This is a more base model so it may not have it.

Hauling 4,000 lb FJ40, my Silverado 1/2 ton get 10 mpg...cruising speed on the hwy is 70 mph...

Do yourself a favor a buy a 3/4 ton with a turbo diesel...

Those are nice trucks...have good power too. I'm suprised it would get that kind of MPG (whiich is very good for a full size truck with 5.7). My suburban gets a good round 13mpg on the hwy unloaded. :censor:

Maybe I used the wrong word....suburban with 496, barely makes 13 mpg on hwy. But I never expected to make any fuel economy off this thing. I suspect it gets the worse MPG on the planet....maybe a one ton with same engine gets worse.

Gotta love the old 8.1. haha. I hope you got the optional fuel tank. Mine only has a 28ish tank. Gotta fill that beast up every 200 miles...

Do yourself a favor a buy a 3/4 ton with a turbo diesel...

There ya go making it all gawkward and junk... WizWerd I done bought it! This is a "I bought" thread.

Tom Patton, our APR afficianado in the WEC club tells me he's used the 5.7 before and it pulled as good as a F350 dually with the 7.3 hauling the same load. APR has towed alot of stuff, so he'd know. Between that and keeping it Toyota... I chose this truck.
I'm going to be getting a bed topper for the back to camp in...

I'll be curious to see what the MPG's are when towing.

Towing my ass. My in-town mileage is TERRIBLE! I've driven it 50 miles since i've been back and it's burned 1/4 tank... I'm crying... that's 10mpg so far...
Of course it's fun to stomp it at traffic lights and beat stangs...

my sub has the 38 gal tank. Towing at 75mph it gets around 7.5 mpg. My 60 weighs in around 5600lbs.

my sub has the 38 gal tank. Towing at 75mph it gets around 7.5 mpg. My 60 weighs in around 5600lbs.

I've also got a 2500 Burb, but with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears. Gets 9-10mpg towing at 70 with the '85 4runner on an 18' trailer-6600 pounds total towed weight including tongue weight. Gets just shy of 15mpg unloaded on the highway, we really never drive it in town. 10 was towing on flat ground, 9 is more typical.

Eric I think you'll get around 10 towing which is about as good as you can do with a gas motor. Unless you tow like Mathew and then you'll get 7!:hillbilly:

I've also got a 2500 Burb, but with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears. Gets 9-10mpg towing at 70 with the '85 4runner on an 18' trailer-6600 pounds total towed weight including tongue weight. Gets just shy of 15mpg unloaded on the highway, we really never drive it in town. 10 was towing on flat ground, 9 is more typical.

Eric I think you'll get around 10 towing which is about as good as you can do with a gas motor. Unless you tow like Mathew and then you'll get 7!:hillbilly:

I can't help it that I like to drive fast!:D

here a comp
dif.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom