A thank you to everyone here.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for all the help over the past few years. My '86 FJ60 rebuild is basically done (a few interior cosmetic things still left and the rocker trim). Thanks to Mark W, Jim C, Beno, Joe E for all those reference pictures!, spikestrip, and many others. I am considering putting the LSD diff from SOR in the rear and still not completely happy with the H55 gearbox, shift tower still titled over to the right, too far away from driver. The head tech at Penn Toyota said gearbox must be for right hand drive car...any opinions on that? In any case, I am very happy to be back in it after almost 10 years of not driving it!
IMG_0298.JPG

Kinda digging the white roof! Very nice.

I have wanted to do a white roof on my brown 60 for years!

Sweet rig Walt. How about more details and, of course, pictures.

Besides doing many things TWICE (as usual) like the paint job....more new parts than I want to think about, radiator, alternator, AC compressor, oil pump, full knuckle rebuild, engine rebuild, new brake system all the way around, clutch cylinders, new front and rear glass, headliner, dash removal, heater core, all new foam seals for heater box, carpet, etc......and a very solid '84 frame, blasted and coated, all new body mounts. When I invited all my hockey playing buddies over to move the body onto the "new" rolling chassis they scratched their heads and said, uh, ok, I guess so (picture below).
I am original owner of the truck, bought in November of '86 at Sunrise Toyota (somewhere on the south shore of Long Island). The project started when the rear shock cross-member rusted out and snow-balled from there.
L1000060.JPG

Besides doing many things TWICE (as usual) like the paint job....more new parts than I want to think about, radiator, alternator, AC compressor, oil pump, full knuckle rebuild, engine rebuild, new brake system all the way around, clutch cylinders, new front and rear glass, headliner, dash removal, heater core, all new foam seals for heater box, carpet, etc......and a very solid '84 frame, blasted and coated, all new body mounts. When I invited all my hockey playing buddies over to move the body onto the "new" rolling chassis they scratched their heads and said, uh, ok, I guess so (picture below).
I am original owner of the truck, bought in November of '86 at Sunrise Toyota (somewhere on the south shore of Long Island). The project started when the rear shock cross-member rusted out and snow-balled from there.
View attachment 1031398

Q... How many people does it take to lift a 60 body..........

A... ahhh about 2 cases of beer... :)

Beautiful truck! Just make sure to keep it away from the road salt!
Your transmission issue sounds very odd. Since you used a 1984 frame, and the H55 is NOT a bolt in swap with your frame, perhaps it's installer error?

Beautiful truck! Just make sure to keep it away from the road salt!
Your transmission issue sounds very odd. Since you used a 1984 frame, and the H55 is NOT a bolt in swap with your frame, perhaps it's installer error?
Hey Zach, I did change the cross-member and used the different mount (removed the whole bolt-on set up and welded on the inside and outside brackets and used my '86 cross-member). I had some discussion here on Mud a while back about the whole issue, the changes made in those years with the frame and cross-member, bell housing, etc.

H55 gearbox, shift tower still titled over to the right

The H55F is for both RH & LH drives.
When the transmission is correctly installed, the transmission rubber support under the car should be tilted approximately 6º down to the right (lower on the passenger's side) in relation to the frame.
Since the transmission is bolted to the engine, and the engine sits on two identical motor mounts (or at least it should), the angle the transmission assumes is identical to the angle of the engine.
The top of the transmission case should be level with the horizontal plane of the floor. When the H55F is in neutral, the shift lever should be straight up (& angled back a bit of course).

angle.jpg

Last edited:
When the transmission is correctly installed, the transmission rubber support under the car should be tilted approximately 6º down to the right (lower on the passenger's side) in relation to the frame.
Since the transmission is bolted to the engine, and the engine sits on two identical motor mounts (or at least it should), the angle the transmission assumes is identical to the angle of the engine.
The top of the transmission case should be level with the horizontal plane of the floor. When the H55F is in neutral, the shift lever should be straight up (& angled back a bit of course).

View attachment 1031788
this is something I will look at again when it is not 10 degrees out, for some reason, although the conditions you state are all there....it still is not right, shift tower over too far to right and lever tilting over to right too far.... IMG_3230.JPG

Is there a LAndCruiser that is ever done?:D The tinkering will always continue - Enjoy, you stayed with it till the finish and ended up with a beautiful rig :cheers:

My wife loves your FJ60. She noted that it is painted "Rangers Blue". She is a huge hockey fan, who loves her Rangers.

View attachment 1031788
Here is a pic as centered as I can get it, the shifter is exactly in neutral, motor is sitting correctly on mounts. My frame is an '82, I was told that the two issues for the '86 was the steering box bolt holes and the transmission mount difference.
L1060597.JPG

View attachment 1031788

He has an '86, so unless he used an '84 or older bellhousing, you statement is not true. The '85-'87 60 series (along with the longer transmission and different crossmember) had a bellhousing stamped "3F" which rotates the transmission 7 or 8 degrees, I'm PRETTY SURE to the passenger side (U.S.) of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom