A Tale of Two 62s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks in advance to those taking time to respond and help others. I currently own a 200 and am looking at two different 62s to drive a few times a week, the occasional mountain/beach weekend trip, let my teens learn some basic maintenance skills, and hand over in a couple of year.

Car A - no rust, California original, 260k miles, nearly all original, original paint, great records, clean Carfax

Car B - some rust (see pics), Penn/Illinois truck, 150k miles, nearly all original, repainted (not sure if original color), not so great records, 1 accident about 10 years ago that no one knows anything about

The trucks are the same price. Both run and drive well. I'm tempted to jump all over Car A but for the mileage. Some of the rust on Car B scares me but maybe it shouldn't and, hence, this post.

I don't mind getting dirty and doing some work myself (short of cutting/welding metal) but a couple concerns and questions for those far more knowledgeable and experienced:
1. Should I be worried about what appears to be a little flaking on some of the frame and at least one spot where the metal has been eaten away?
2. Does this appear to be some wire brush, rust retardant work or something more?
3. I'm worried the repaint covered up some prior attempts at rust repair and it's now coming through the paint.
4. I hate giving up 100k+ miles, although that may not be a big deal with trucks that can last multiples of that.
IMG_2696_Original.jpg
IMG_2698_Original.jpg
IMG_2699_Original.jpg
IMG_2701_Original.jpg
IMG_2708_Original.jpg

I have seen flaking like that on quite a few 60s and it seems like a coating to me.

Where you’re located (shipping is expensive) and whether or not you can lay eyes on one of them is important. Don’t discount that.

Yeah, some of it certainly looks like it’s flaking, other areas look like paint covering something. I’m traveling to look at both again and may do a little scraping to see how much comes off.

Last edited:
I would also look under the carpet along the door jam. Simple to look if you have a Phillips head screw driver. Moisture seems to collect in those spots.

I would also look under the carpet along the door jam. Simple to look if you have a Phillips head screw driver. Moisture seems to collect in those spots.

Definitely, thanks. I'm going through several other threads now of "hot spots" to check, especially since I'm a bit concerned that the respray may have been done to cover up areas.

Car A, you are going to be going through everything anyways so don't choose a rusty one.

Car A all the way. Once the rust starts, it's hard to stop. And you can only see a fraction of what's actually there. Run from rust.

Run from rust!
Here’s why you want to check under the door jamb carpet as @Redwood mentioned:

2BDA89F2-B5E4-45FC-8E37-4D2735F939AC.jpeg

31116AF0-390C-426E-91B7-659351BF3113.jpeg

Extreme example, but a real example…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom