A/T to radiator Adapters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fairly new to mechanic work, but it has been great working on my 62. I have been working on replacing the timing cover gasket, crank seal and radiator.

I am putting in a Mishimoto radiator and attempting to attach the transmission lines, but the adapters bottom out before sitting flush against the radiator. This wasn’t a problem with the OEM rad. I’m assuming I need to get adaptors with less thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

5ACB1786-FFA5-4403-87EF-60377D065D2E.jpeg

55CF1584-FB73-4312-9364-3705CD117E41.jpeg

59409596-7736-439C-94CB-308ED3F3123D.jpeg

FAAFB4C4-3743-462A-95AF-C8E7068A00A8.jpeg

I can't help you with the adapters but I imagine you could find the correct fit from a hardware store. What I will say is it seems like a great time to add an additional tranny cooler

It's doubtful you'll find a female to male coupler that has the exact same thread pitch on both ends. There wouldn't be a compelling reason to manufacture such a part.
My suspicion is the radiator will need to be replaced with something else if you want to use the integrated heat exchanger.
There's an uncountable number of aftermarket parts that are sold as replacements for vehicles that don't quite fit. Looks like your radiator is one of them.

Did you contact Mishimoto? They have a customer service department.

@Burky the trans cooler lines will work with that mishimoto radiator. I have/had the same set up. I had to manipulate the stock elbow fittings somehow to make it work, but it works. Don’t remember exactly at the moment, I’ll check later when I’m around the truck.
That straight fitting from China is not Toyota.

I can't help you with the adapters but I imagine you could find the correct fit from a hardware store. What I will say is it seems like a great time to add an additional tranny cooler

Thanks. PO added a tranny cooler, so we good there. Went to Ace, cause it’s the place, and determined the threads are not your standard gas or plumbing size.

so now I have an email out to Mishimoto customer service and will prob head down to the local Napa to ask some questions.

thanks for the reply

@Burky the trans cooler lines will work with that mishimoto radiator. I have/had the same set up. I had to manipulate the stock elbow fittings somehow to make it work, but it works. Don’t remember exactly at the moment, I’ll check later when I’m around the truck.
That straight fitting from China is not Toyota.

yeah I think the PO replaced the straight adapter when he put in the trans cooler.

Please let me know how you rigged yours. Thanks

Mishimoto Customer Service did not have great answers. They claim the factory fittings should work so I could track those down and work back to the transmission lines or they suggest cutting the existing adapters so the crush washer fits flush and use some blue thread locker. Summit Racing does have a variety of adapters, but unsure which is the right fit if any.

I do know the thread on the radiator is M14 x 1.5

Will continue the search

I'm not sure why you have those 6AN adapters.
And agreed, the problem is not the radiator, it's your wonky hose fittings.
However if they are old/original looking hoses I'd recommend putting adapter fittings in the transmission and radiator (like the ones you have) to 6AN and making new universal 6AN hoses

Got a chance to find my original trans cooler fittings (photos below). Your 90 deg fitting is OEM, you can see the difference of the other fitting in the photo.

Yes the original fitting will bottom out too soon on the Mishimoto Al. radiator, and the lock nut will not advance enough because of the washer that is ‘locked’ in the smooth groove bt the thread bodies.
I cut the washer off the orig fittings so the lock nut would travel all the way down to the radiator bung fitting. My fittings fortunately bottomed out in a good spot/angle to attach the hoses then mashed the lock nut down. Wrapped the threads well in Teflon thread tape too. I probably should’ve sourced a crush washer of some sort to put bt the lock nut and radiator. You have to bottom out the fitting to create that inner seal, then lock it.
Not sure it’s ideal, but it worked for me. No leaks.

The location of those trans line fittings on the rad. makes it such a f@&$!ng pain in the ass to work on. So glad mine are gone.

I don’t know 6AN stuff, but @cruisermatt is right, find easier stuff to use.

C212ACF9-4652-4246-A4C3-D23FEB4DB0FE.jpeg

CA0CDD90-39A3-409A-828B-3C987EEDCA22.jpeg

Got a chance to find my original trans cooler fittings (photos below). Your 90 deg fitting is OEM, you can see the difference of the other fitting in the photo.

Yes the original fitting will bottom out too soon on the Mishimoto Al. radiator, and the lock nut will not advance enough because of the washer that is ‘locked’ in the smooth groove bt the thread bodies.
I cut the washer off the orig fittings so the lock nut would travel all the way down to the radiator bung fitting. My fittings fortunately bottomed out in a good spot/angle to attach the hoses then mashed the lock nut down. Wrapped the threads well in Teflon thread tape too. I probably should’ve sourced a crush washer of some sort to put bt the lock nut and radiator. You have to bottom out the fitting to create that inner seal, then lock it.
Not sure it’s ideal, but it worked for me. No leaks.

The location of those trans line fittings on the rad. makes it such a f@&$!ng pain in the ass to work on. So glad mine are gone.

I don’t know 6AN stuff, but @cruisermatt is right, find easier stuff to use.

View attachment 2498712

View attachment 2498713

thank you for taking a look. I think the best option I have is to cut the fittings and use some Teflon.

I appreciate all the input

So I ended up just wrapping them in teflon tape and they seem to be holding, but I cant image this is a long tern solution. They are bound to leak.

@Randy88FJ62 that hydrophilic fitting looks like it would work. Going to place an order.

Thanks for all the help.

I think I got the info from CruiserMatt IIRC? Someone on here did the hard research first.

So I ended up just wrapping them in teflon tape and they seem to be holding, but I cant image this is a long tern solution. They are bound to leak.

@Randy88FJ62 that hydrophilic fitting looks like it would work. Going to place an order.

Thanks for all the help.

Did you cut off the fixed washer and get them to bottom out and get the lock nut to advance?

For what it’s worth this is what I used with I installed my trans cooler. I wasn’t really into the thought of slicing the original hoses and reusing the barb fittings. So I used a Hayden 689 that accepted 6AN fittings. Got 6AN to M14x1.5 adapters for the radiator and the hard lines to the transmission. The adapters combined with the angled 6AN fittings I had made it work prefect. This might sound weird but you might be able to find M14x1.5 male to 6AN male and then stick a 6AN to M14x1.5 angled adaptor on there and get what you need. The adapter to the radiator I’m pretty sure I used washers for that.

I ordered this fittings from summit
2596A5A4-FEFE-4DC1-B3A8-57EBF8A924D4.jpeg

And here’s the hose kit I bought.
Amazon product ASIN B077GTNT9D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom