A stupid question... Rear main seal... leaking... maybe... ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so attached is a picture of what I think is where the rear main seal "leaks" for folks. I have had seepage where the "half circle" is in the pictures attached and along that seem..(its cleaned in the pic). it doesn't drip, but gets close... Im not super worried about it to be honest but I want to know if that is in fact where the rear main "seal" is at.... additionally... what in the hell is the open section above this? is it supposed to be "open" and if so why? Thanks and sorry for the silly dumb-a$$ question. Thanks y'all!

rearmain.jpg

90950-01803 goes in the inspection hole.

Ok that hole is the inspection hole (sounds like a joke......:) and the seal is inside of the housing.... and if it leaks it pools in the base and seeps along the bottom seem...? Is that correct?

Thanks!

The part number I provided closes that hole you posted a picture.

I have no idea what’s leaking... that’s for you or your mechanic to inspect and figure out. Could be rear main, could be pan arch, etc.

The part number I provided closes that hole you posted a picture.

I have no idea what’s leaking... that’s for you or your mechanic to inspect and figure out. Could be rear main, could be pan arch, etc.

gotcha.... but what I was asking is where in the hell is the rear main seal.... not what is leaking per se... the seem I point out or INSIDE of the housing....

It’s inside of the bellhousing.

You can take a mirror and look up in there. It’s around the rear of the crankshaft in the bearing retainer.

C1C340F2-AD09-466E-AD50-4D65CBD2A62D.jpeg

All the rear mains on 80 series trucks are leaking, Time causes the FIPG to dry out completely and crack. Every 1FZ FE that I’ve taken apart, even the low mile garaged ones are leaking.

All the rear mains on 80 series trucks are leaking, Time causes the FIPG to dry out completely and crack. Every 1FZ FE that I’ve taken apart, even the low mile garaged ones are leaking.

yeah that’s what I figured. I’m not as much concerned about but more curious about what I was looking at. That and was wondering why in the hell I had a huge hole there :).

Not an expert, but Rear mains are not sealed with FIPG, the Rear main (crankshaft) seal is a formed Viton type rubber seal (see diagram above). FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) is a sealant that is squeezed out of a tube to seal between two flat surfaces, like between the lower oil pan and the upper oil pan, and between the upper oil pan and the block.

AFAIK the most common cause of oil dripping off the bottom of the 1FZFE bellhousing (based on previous discussions in the 80 forum) is from the rear arch area of the upper oil pan.

Try a search (Magnifying glass icon upper right) using some or all of these terms: Rear Arch Seal Leak +/- FIPG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, did it for you:

Here's a photo showing the relationship of the Rear Main seal (brown circular seal) and the Rear Arch area of the upper oil pan. The Rear Main seal is directly above the Rear Arch. Note the black FIPG that was pushed out when the Rear Arch of the upper pan was resealed.

For orientation: the photo was taken looking forward, the engine block is above the irregular/lumpy line of black FIPG, the upper oil pan is below.

Rear main seal above Rear Arch of upper oil pan.JPG

Here's a link to the discussion:

Last edited:
The FIPG around the rear seal area is what I am referring to. I find that the motors all need to be resealed entirely at this point in time unless it’s already been done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom