A stupid question about gear oil. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I am looking at the Lockright lubrication thing and it calls for 85-140 in warm climates, 75-90 in colder climates.

I live in both, hot in the summer (it has been in the 90s a few times this summer) and cold in the winter (we hit in the -20s sometimes too). So what would you guys recommend? I do know that when it get F'n cold my tranny 80-90 is thick and takes awhile before it shift. I am interested in options, what about Amsoil synthetic?

stinkyfj60 said:
Ok, I am looking at the Lockright lubrication thing and it calls for 85-140 in warm climates, 75-90 in colder climates.

I live in both, hot in the summer (it has been in the 90s a few times this summer) and cold in the winter (we hit in the -20s sometimes too). So what would you guys recommend? I do know that when it get F'n cold my tranny 80-90 is thick and takes awhile before it shift. I am interested in options, what about Amsoil synthetic?

I also live in very cold as well as hot in summer area.
In winter, temperature down to -30 celsius (-22 F) one or two times and in summer it's normally reaches to 33~36 celsuis (91.4 ~ 96.8 F).
I uses 80W90 gear oil for tranny, t-case and differentials.
My father was previous owner of my FJ62 and he'd used same grade of oil.
I don't know it's best choice or not exactly. But I didn't have any trouble still now from 1988

I agree 80W90 is what I run in all of my 4x4s, I used to live up on the grand mesa and most of the guys down there run the same. The trans is a little harder to shift first thing in the morning but have'nt had any probs so far. Syn oil is good but I am not sure it is really worth it to spend the extra for a little more protection. If it came with it then it must be good enough.

80/90 will work very well for all around use. The only time you would want to use anything heavier is if you are running high speeds for long times in very hot temps like the freeway around Yuma. or if you are putting it under very heavy loads in high temps.

I also use 80/90 but I've been hearing good things about Top Line. Anyone used it? Thoughts??

I heard that synthetic will get past bad gaskets/seals. Never heard that it will eat through them. I wouldnt run run it in my tranny because I know I have a bad seal there and wouldnt want to loose $$ through that leak.

Its not a hijack because I have wondered if synthetic would perform better at the lower temps I see sometimes. But I may just stick with 80/90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom