A steering problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had this happened 3 times already since the year started.

It usually happens when I try to get out of my driveway, from a full stop, parked, when I try to steer right it seems like it hesitates to steer or something is stopping it to do so. It feels like i'm stuck in the sand or maybe the tire is up against the curb but with a little steer to the left then back to the right, it's smooth and steers all the way. I don't recall this happening when steering to the left (as far as I recall). And on the 3rd time (coming out of a parking lot) I heard a slight ticking sound (ticked 3x) when steered right, then it was gone.

Steering fluid is clean and full. Birfs are clean (no soup).

Is this a steering issue that needs to be addressed?

Your thoughts are appreciated...

-John

Maybe the clamps on the tie rod ends are hitting.

Sounds like you're losing the hydraulic advantage towards on side. Mine does the same thing occasionally, but then again, mine bleeds fluid constantly due to a bad cap on the reservoir. You might try bleeding the power steering system really well and see if it helps.

Has your crank pulley been off recently? If so, torque it properly to 304 ft.lbs. Loss of pump pressure due to pump drive slippage will cause loss of hydraulic assist.

Lack of fluid and/or cavitation at the suction side of the pump will cause similar symptoms. There is a screen in the reservoir to keep debris out of the pump, and if this screen gets plugged you'll often hear a whining sound.

These are the first two things I would check.

Also, out of curiosity, what is the year, mileage, and tire size of your truck?

Has your crank pulley been off recently? If so, torque it properly to 304 ft.lbs. Loss of pump pressure due to pump drive slippage will cause loss of hydraulic assist.

Lack of fluid and/or cavitation at the suction side of the pump will cause similar symptoms. There is a screen in the reservoir to keep debris out of the pump, and if this screen gets plugged you'll often hear a whining sound.

These are the first two things I would check.

Also, out of curiosity, what is the year, mileage, and tire size of your truck?

It's a '94, 175k sitting on 285's with 16x10 rims. Crank pulley has not been removed lately. Only belts removed and replaced when I upgraded my alternator in Nov.

Thanks...

-John

I was searching for help and found this thread. My mechanic just replaced my 2 belts. When I got it back I discovered that it would not turn as much to the right than to the left. Left will do 2 full turns and right will only do 1.5. I checked a lexus same year and it did 2 both ways. Any ideas on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom