A starter postmortem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kruisinkid

topless dorkel
SILVER Star
Threads
first pics cause everyone loves a good catastrophic failure.....
IMG-3300.jpg

IMG-3301.jpg

this is literally all that was left when I pulled it out of the block. Yes i certainly knew it was on its way out, already had the new one and gaskets in the back of the truck for a couple weeks. you can see one of the bearing shields mangled against the gear. it was original, from a 2000 with 223k on the clock so i think it lived an appropriately long life. reman'd denso went in. the most quiet start up i think i have heard since i bought it about a year ago.

some notes/thoughts of doing the deed:
-if you have a lift, buy a small sturdy footstool. i does wonders.
-i have a 2nd battery mounted on its side so i left the air filter box in and covered. gave me a more even surface area to sit and lay on
-you can certainly pull the whole intake with TB out without removing the passenger side engine hook. after you have it above the studs, it wants to roll out with the passenger side coming up first to get by the hook.
-i did not drain any coolant on purpose but lost about a 1/2 cup from removing the TB with intake.
-i used new intake gaskets, the old ones were toast. new ones were noticeably thicker. never would have thought it would be phenolic sandwiched with metal.
-my cant do it without them tools are a 12" 3/8 wobble ended extension and a quality 3/8" universal/swivel. not the true universal kind, but the impact grade swiveling kind. a magnetic 12mm socket to reinstall the intake nuts/bolts i would add to the next time it has to be done. and a hose pick and hose clamp pliers make life much easier. needle nose pliers to pinch the injector connector WHILE pulling on the wire gently is the way to get those out in 5 mins.
-unplug the coolant temp sensor and other single wire sensor right next to it at the forward/pass corner
-be careful of all machined edges on intake when you will fumble around the intake trying to get it in and out, they are very sharp against sensor connector bodies and wires.
-the big positive wire attachment for the starter is only under the forward most part of that big yellow plastic harness protector and it has its own little hatch. no need to try and open the whole thing. a small pick set will help with that.
-yes you want to pull that 10mm head bolt that holds down the 3 tranny connectors bolted to the top of the bellhousing. that will give you enough wiggle room to get your rube goldberg assemblage of socket and extensions for that PITA bolt. thank you toyota for making them extended length heads.
- did not pull the hard crossover water pipe. did not see any evidence of dried coolant so they stayed.
-i kind of wish i had bought a new set of injectors and grommets and installed while i had the intake out. but it doesnt look like too bad of a job to just pull the fuel rail when it gets warmer in 6 months. oh well.
-i did this outside in december on a new york city street. you will probably have more fun than me....best of luck!

What did you need the wobble extension and swivel for? I just did the starter and didn't need those.

To get to the infamous PITA drivers side starter bolt, I simply used the 3/8" ratchet, 1" extension and 14mm socket. I did not remove the crossover pipe or loosen the big black wire-harness protector. You need to wiggle the socket down there and push a couple of wires out of the way, but the socket assembly will fit and the bolt will come out. No need to loosen any transmission connectors.

These are the tools I needed to do the job -
IMG_20191204_165443.jpg

Supplies
  • Starter
  • Intake manifold gaskets
  • Paper towels
  • Voltmeter (to make sure the cable to the starter was dead with the dual batteries)
  • Bucket for coolant (I drained about 3/4 gallon)
  • Coolant
  • Mineral Spirits (or any other cleaner to clean intake and head mating surfaces)
  • Foot stool (not pictured, but a godsend)

Tools
  • Flexible grabber (fetching and starting the intake nuts and bolts)
  • Long skinny 3/8" extension (skinny extension helps easily access the intake bolts/nuts)
  • 3/8" Ratchet
  • 3/8" Torque wrench
  • 14mm, 12mm, 10mm sockets
  • 1", 3", 6" 3/8" extensions
  • 22mm wrench
  • 12mm wrench
  • 10mm wrench
  • Slotted screwdrivers
  • Pick
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Long needle nose pliers
  • Channel Locks

i used the 8 or 9" (maybe not 12") wobble extension to pull/install the intake bolts. gets the ratchet clear above the intake. i use a milwaukee m12 ratchet here and there and having the swivel on a short socket was perfect for the PITA bolt. didnt unplug any tranny connectors, just removed that bolt that holds the bracket for the 3 connectors. all pretty straight forward, just awkward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom