A stand-in gas tank? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd see if there is a local radiator shop that could seal up your current tank if you can't easily source a replacement. Then find a used tank on Mud or the Spectra tank when you get to the states.

I would agree. But guessing it would need to stay sealed during it's trip to the US or might be a issue with Customs. Never imported a vehicle but think only a small amount of fuel is allowed in the tank. An also empty tank is actually has a greater risk of a large explosion. But guess that is better than a full tank leaking and a whole container full of gas fumes. I remember as a kid family was driving from OR to CT. Going thru the Rockies my drove over a sharp rock in the road that out a gash in the tank. Manage to get to very small town. All they were able to do is solder it. That got us to Wisconsin where we were visiting relatives for a few days. They had a brand new tank installed. While it got us there is had a very small leak and could smell gas fumes when it was parked for a while. This would be the biggest concern shipping a repaired tank. Especially if it's in a container. But completely agree it would be my first option if they could doing a good job sealing it up. Because fumes are so much more dangerous than liquid gas sometimes harder to someone to do more than coat the tank.

I agree with @Living in the Past on keeping it as close to stock as possible. I looked into the Spectra tank and almost went that route. I decided my tank was in good shape but needed a good cleaning. Had it boiled and restored by a TankRenu shop near me. The price was $400 which is more than a Spectra tank but those appear to be raw steel. My tank was opened, blasted to get a good adhesion inside/out, coated inside/out, baked, welded back together, pressure tested and a lifetime guarantee.

I would agree. But guessing it would need to stay sealed during it's trip to the US or might be a issue with Customs. Never imported a vehicle but think only a small amount of fuel is allowed in the tank. An also empty tank is actually has a greater risk of a large explosion. But guess that is better than a full tank leaking and a whole container full of gas fumes. I remember as a kid family was driving from OR to CT. Going thru the Rockies my drove over a sharp rock in the road that out a gash in the tank. Manage to get to very small town. All they were able to do is solder it. That got us to Wisconsin where we were visiting relatives for a few days. They had a brand new tank installed. While it got us there is had a very small leak and could smell gas fumes when it was parked for a while. This would be the biggest concern shipping a repaired tank. Especially if it's in a container. But completely agree it would be my first option if they could doing a good job sealing it up. Because fumes are so much more dangerous than liquid gas sometimes harder to someone to do more than coat the tank.

Evidently the POR 15 gas tank repair system does a good job fixing pinhole leaks.

Haven't tried it myself, but there are plenty of good reviews for it. Not sure if OP has easy access to getting it though.

Agree with worries about fume or fuel leaks, but if it is just pinhole leaks, I would think the POR 15 (or a good radiator shop cleaning and coating) would work.

I agree with @Living in the Past on keeping it as close to stock as possible. I looked into the Spectra tank and almost went that route. I decided my tank was in good shape but needed a good cleaning. Had it boiled and restored by a TankRenu shop near me. The price was $400 which is more than a Spectra tank but those appear to be raw steel. My tank was opened, blasted to get a good adhesion inside/out, coated inside/out, baked, welded back together, pressure tested and a lifetime guarantee.

Five years ago had an 84 HJ47RV end up in a wrecking yard ten miles away. I thought about getting tank which is the same a gas but was already spending a small fortune on parts and passed.

The Spectra is not raw steel. They are made with U.S. Steel's "Ni-Terne" material. The annealed cold-rolled steel sheet is first processed to apply a thin flash coating of electrodeposited nickel, and then it's given a hot-dip lead-tin alloy coating. The nickel base coat gives Ni-Terne steel an extra measure of corrosion resistance compared to U.S. Steel's regular "Terne" steel sheet and also compared to traditional galvanizing, which isn't readily available anymore. It should also be pointed out that the Ni-Terne coating protects both interior and exterior surfaces of the fuel tank from surface corrosion.

My original tank was rusted out, so I picked up the Spectra. Then found a used tank locally. After 3 years it shows no sign of corrosion on my truck. I also confirmed the tank met the requirements under DOT Guidance: A replacement/repaired tank must meet the applicable standards in §393.67, which includes a 30 foot drop at full (95%) capacity. I could not confirm any other tanks met the standards for a replacement tank as required by Federal law. It is too bad it doesn't have the drain, but it is easy to drain with a siphon and drop to clean. Hell, if I have any issues I'll drop $200 at Rock Auto and get another new one.

I sourced a local tank for $50 after installing the Spectra, but just sold it to another Mud member as I have been very happy with the Spectra offering.

The Spectra is not raw steel. They are made with U.S. Steel's "Ni-Terne" material. The annealed cold-rolled steel sheet is first processed to apply a thin flash coating of electrodeposited nickel, and then it's given a hot-dip lead-tin alloy coating. The nickel base coat gives Ni-Terne steel an extra measure of corrosion resistance compared to U.S. Steel's regular "Terne" steel sheet and also compared to traditional galvanizing, which isn't readily available anymore. It should also be pointed out that the Ni-Terne coating protects both interior and exterior surfaces of the fuel tank from surface corrosion.

My original tank was rusted out, so I picked up the Spectra. Then found a used tank locally. After 3 years it shows no sign of corrosion on my truck. I also confirmed the tank met the requirements under DOT Guidance: A replacement/repaired tank must meet the applicable standards in §393.67, which includes a 30 foot drop at full (95%) capacity. I could not confirm any other tanks met the standards for a replacement tank as required by Federal law. It is too bad it doesn't have the drain, but it is easy to drain with a siphon and drop to clean. Hell, if I have any issues I'll drop $200 at Rock Auto and get another new one.

I sourced a local tank for $50 after installing the Spectra, but just sold it to another Mud member as I have been very happy with the Spectra offering.

My guess welding a drain in a Spectra tank will ruin the rust resistance coating from the heat of welding.

My guess welding a drain in a Spectra tank will ruin the rust resistance coating from the heat of welding.

I am not a good/experienced welder, but my understanding is most welded metal without post-weld treatment would lose at least some corrosion resistant. You could still coat the welded material. As much as I would like a drain plug, if I drain a tank on a car, I always end up using my siphon to get remaining fluid out anyway. Dropping the tank is the best way to completely clean a tank, but the drain makes it easy to quickly get a lot of fluid out.

If I had found the used OEM tank faster, I'd have used it, but I am very impressed with the Spectra, especially at the price point.

Looking forward to see the solution OP uses.

I am not a good/experienced welder, but my understanding is most welded metal without post-weld treatment would lose at least some corrosion resistant. You could still coat the welded material. As much as I would like a drain plug, if I drain a tank on a car, I always end up using my siphon to get remaining fluid out anyway. Dropping the tank is the best way to completely clean a tank, but the drain makes it easy to quickly get a lot of fluid out.

If I had found the used OEM tank faster, I'd have used it, but I am very impressed with the Spectra, especially at the price point.

Looking forward to see the solution OP uses.

I was just talking in general nothing aimed at you. You highlighted the coating the tank has and was pointing out if someone purchased this tank with the plans of adding a drain they very possibly be destroying factory coating.

Anyone purchasing this tank with the plans of using their drain from the old tank may not be please a few years down the line if it leaks around the drain. A drain doesn't seem worth the risk.

Thank you all for your suggestions and expert advice...after exploring the limited options here, I decided to take perhaps the most direct route -- go figure -- and we're just repairing the old tank. Pic below of the work partly completed. The new metal came from a tank pulled from a similar year Hilux pickup...we had hoped that the salvaged tank could just replace my old one because the two are, at first glance, very similar in shape and size. Turns out, however, they won't substitute for one another. Live, and learn. Thanks, again, Mudders for all the help!
PHOTO-2020-08-10-12-49-09.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom