A slow walk down a very long road. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yea Danny I do want to take it to England but I just don't have enough time to get it up and running prior to leaving.
All the running gear is now done but it needs body work and a new/rebuilt wiring harness. The electrical is the reason this whole thing started. PO was not an electrician and I'll just leave it at that. I need to order all the wiring and connectors from @Coolerman prior to leaving though. It will give me everything that I need to put a new one together.
Lots of other odds and ends that need to be do and I have to get it moved around mid August time frame so I can get the rest of my stuff on the boat to England.

Thanks for the skid plate bolt sizes, I'll pick some up when I get back from Albuquerque.

Last edited:
I thought you were leaving in Oct... So, you have to report in Oct... Now I get it.

Well, as you said, you'll have plenty of time to accumulate all the bits and pieces.

I am leaving in October but all of my stuff will be picked up in September to give us enough time for all our stuff to float over there before we show up. In order to do that I have to get all the stuff that I don't plan on taking with me to Alabama and back prior to school starting so Jr can see all the family and all. Really putting a crunch on my timeline.

I well remember those Hurry Up moves...

People who never made a career of the military have no idea how much stuff you have to give away or throw away every time you make a move...

just don't throw/give away your 40!!

Made more progress over the weekend and today. Dave @ 4Plus produces very nice front bumpers and got me on shipped out very fast. Had it in 3 days after order for a very good price. Only issue is the mounting hardware that he sent didnt work out so I had to replace it with better hardware. The skid plate got blasted and painted and slapped in and I took it by the exhaust shop today for them to reweld it the old exhaust. Cost more than I felt it should, but its done. The disc brakes from Poser will be here tomorrow so once those go on and the body is on it will be ready to make the trip across the country.

Got the full exhaust system put back in on Saturday and today got some help putting the body back on the chassis. Never thought I would see the day that I got the body back on. All the brake parts from Poser showed up and got them put on as well. Its finally starting to look more like a Landcruiser. I have an OME suspension but the whole thing looks taller than I remember. Not sure if it is just because there is no weight in the back or if it is because I put springs in wrong.
image1 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Well I guess I owe a little closure to this thread for a while. I have been avoiding Mud for the past few weeks since I dont have my 40 with me anymore. On 8 August I packed it all up with the rest of the stuff in my garage that I didnt want to take to England with me and filled up a Penske truck and headed east with the 40 in tow. 3 days, 2 flats and a blown transmission later I finally limped that Penske truck into North Alabama/South Tennessee. I had bought a 40' sea-land container and conned my aunt and uncle to let me put in out in the pasture on their farm. Come to find out the container came at a much cheaper price than I thought and was delivered for free by some really great guys who were thankful for my years of military service. Couldnt find a better set of guys if I tried. Container looked new and is only about 10 years old, couldnt be happier. So I unloaded all my junk plus Yoshi into the container, slapped him on the ass and sealed him up for the next 48 months. With that I have been going through withdraws. Danny PM'd me today so I figured now is as good a time as ever to finalize this thread but dont worry, 48 months from now Ill start back up and finally finish the frame off that I started 15 months ago. On a side note, you guys are gonna kill me but I bought my wife a new Jeep Wrangler for her to use while in the UK. I am liking it more and more each day but it will never replace the 40!

I'm gonna meet you before you leave, Zach... If I have to stand with the guards at the gate, I will! You use the main gate, right? Still driving the white a Tundra, or did you sell it?

I'm glad you decided to keep Yoshi... You won't regret it! Especially after having to drive that jeep for four years!

Come over or let me know when to come over!

I use the gate on Craig. I live in the newer SNCO housing on the hospital side. I sold the Tundra a couple of months ago to a guy in AZ once I got the UK orders in hand. Ill be here Sat if you want to swing over while the Misses is shopping.

I read the build threads a lot and see things I missed and should have done and things I have done that everyone else did. Thank you for taking the time to document your build, it and others like it have been extremely helpful with the one I am in the middle of.

I am not a welder or a body man so I farmed out that portion to a hot rod shop. The rust repair, new floors, new seats and brackets, other work and the painting will be completed next week. Then I can get it reassembled and back on the road which is just in time, the funds allocated for repairs and the build are just about gone.

To everyone who posted their builds and added photos, thank you very much for your time and expertise.

To the OP; thank you for your service. I hope England is kind to you and I look forward to your return and the finish of your build.

Well I had some bad luck a couple of weeks ago. My dad passed away after a 5 year battle with cancer. He finally had all he could stand and passed on gently in his sleep on his terms when he was ready. The family and I headed back to Alabama from England to handle all the arrangements and help my mom out with everything that needed to get taken care of. Spent 2 weeks running in circles but got a lot accomplished. They had retired from their jobs on 1 April and he passed on 2 April. He didn't even enjoy 1 full day of retirement but I dont think he would have liked retirement very much anyway. They were starting to sell the house so they could move closer to family so I helped my mom prep for that as much as I could. We took all of his tools (45 year diesel mechanic...11 snap on tool boxes...FULL!!!) and everything else from the garage and put it into the storage container with Yoshi. Still in the same condition he was in when I rolled him in there a year ago. Glad to see that no extra rust or anything had formed. Those sealand containers are awesome! I did put some dehumidifiers in and they had absorbed all the moisture. As I sat there I realized how much I had missed having an old toy to work on and tinker with. I knew I missed it but didnt realize how much until last week. I have been cruising ebay and gumtree a lot looking for either a Defender or Landcruiser and found what I was looking for for a good price as well. Picked up this little fella today for $2300. All original 1991 with 70K miles, 200 TDi and 5 speed. It may not be a Landcruiser but it atleast still has Land in the name. Needs quite a bit of TLC but I think she will do for now.....
110 hicap1.JPG
110 hicap2.JPG

Sorry for your loss.There's a reason his tools are in the container with Yoshi.

Rovers are different across the pond,I think you're good.Good luck with the new project sir!

Lost my Dad a few years back as well - inherited all his mechanics tools and such as well as a lot of stuff my grandfather had , use them nearly every day . The ancient Craftsman box of his is so shot it's not funny , considering a total rebuild just to keep it for his memory . I still get advice from him and the years spent hanging out in the shops where he worked , learned a lot and those skills are priceless .
Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom