A seated dissy. Fj40 1978 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@65swb45 Mark, thanks, you just saved me a ton of time on this very issue. My Trollhole 2013 electronic dizzy would not fit past the o-ring (yes I'm just now installing it). I measured the width of the end of the tang across the rounds, and indeed it was 12.3 mm. Gave it a moment on the wheel taking it down to 11.93 and it dropped right in almost all the way seated (far enough for a tractor engine).

Thank you for the photo of the measurement. Without that I'd never have figured it out.

Cheers!

I've installed a new -61080 distributor successfully and wanted to share some pictures for everyone's edification.

First, as @65swb45 has explained (and illustrated) in his post #29.

Here is the fully seated distributor:
seated 2F distributor 2.jpg

In order to have the new clamp fasten firm against the block, I added three washers to bridge the gap:
Seated 2F distributor.jpg

You should chase the threads (8 x 1.25) with a taper or plug tap followed by a bottoming tap to make certain the screw you use can be tightened fast against the clamp/washers/block. There's a lot of slop in the hole in the clamp for the bolt.

I used my original non-USA vacuum advance distributor (purchased from Downey back in 1978 or 79) as a guide for how deep the distributor had to be. In the old days, I used to pull the distributor and replace the points inside the hotel room (spent many months in Page, AZ at Navajo Gen. Station) and stick it back in without a second thought, since the older clamp fit flush to the block when the distributor was fully seated .

Looking at the picture below, you can see that the O ring doesn't sit very far into the block when its in place:
Original Dist with clamp.jpg

If the O ring isn't in the block, you haven't clocked the distributor properly.

Cool. Did you have oil pressure?

Adding image of my non USA distributor seated for community reference. Not sure the washers are needed with the OEM clamp. However, comparing my clamp to post #42 it appears there is a risk of the distributor dropping in a bit more.

0787A8E0-05C1-48F0-8B55-F6402C6209AC.jpeg

6549E7B2-5EED-405E-BB88-9F07E1D2EA3A.jpeg

@Ackcruisers Yours looks correct for placement of the distributor. It is the lower band on the clamp that sits below the distributor shoulder that might warrant washers. We are trying to get the lower ring of the clamp to hold on the part that holds the upper ring. If the lower ring clamps flush with the block the lower ring deforms a bit, and, it creates stress on one side of the bolt. But, I don't know what Toyota's intention was. Maybe yours is actually correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom