A sad day for me. LX may be done. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had actually been considering figuring out a 360 dash cam setup. Something for the next ride. Still waiting to hear the shop and adjusters assessments.

I was looking at the pics I was able to get. Can anyone tell me what’s happened here? Anyone feel like sleuthing the pics I took and guessing on potential engine damage?
15B962F7-10F8-47A8-8B53-A0B2AF36F154.jpeg

Waiting is frustrating, but I have been shopping for another 200, just in case. The debate has begun anew. Am I spoiled by the LX features now? Or do I want to search the ends of the earth for a unicorn green LC? I love ahc, and the cooler was surprisingly useful. Do I lose the capacitive door handles and auto fold mirrors with a LC? What other major feature differences am I forgetting?

Last edited:
Well, it’s official. My lx is considered totaled. I haven’t seen the repair estimate yet, but I think I’m going to accept the payout. The insurance payout is 8k over what I owe, and is more than I originally paid for the car. I bought her back in august, so the market has definitely jumped since then. I’m in the process of both buying and selling a house, so I’m planning to take the money from this car, add a bit of cash from the sale of my house and look for a 2015 after I close. It still sucks, the truck was in fantastic shape.

I had actually been considering figuring out a 360 dash cam setup. Something for the next ride. Still waiting to hear the shop and adjusters assessments.

I was looking at the pics I was able to get. Can anyone tell me what’s happened here? Anyone feel like sleuthing the pics I took and guessing on potential engine damage?
View attachment 2656206

Waiting is frustrating, but I have been shopping for another 200, just in case. The debate has begun anew. Am I spoiled by the LX features now? Or do I want to search the ends of the earth for a unicorn green LC? I love ahc, and the cooler was surprisingly useful. Do I lose the capacitive door handles and auto fold mirrors with a LC? What other major feature differences am I forgetting?

Looks like some frame damage and front body mount on the cab that got mauled. Can't see enough to understand if there's any engine damage.

Comparing LC to LX features, and it'll vary depending on the model years you're comparing, here's a potential list of differences

1) More sound deadening
2) Powered rear hatch for open/close, also key fob operated (later LCs got this)
3) Soft open rear lower tailgate, with power latching
4) Surround camera system
5) Ventilated/Heated front row (later LCs got this)
6) Mark Levinson Reference (only other model to get the Reference system is the LS) w/surround (19 speakers vs 14, 10" sub vs 8")
7) Power side view mirrors with auto-fold (later LCs got this)
8) AHC - AVS, lift on demand, auto and multi-step damping, anti-dive/roll/squat, leveling, etc., etc.
9) AHC underbody armor
10) Shorter roof rack (LC has a longer roof rack with 3 supports per side)
11) Steering headlights (AFS)
12) Projector headlights ('16+ LCs got this)
13) Headlight washers
14) Storage in rear seat armrest
15) Power slide rear seats
16) Second row storage on front seatbacks is a panel vs net
17) 14-way adjustable driver seat vs 10-way LC (passenger 12-way vs 8-way)
18) Adjustable tilt front headrests
19) Power stowage for 3rd row seat
20) All windows down by holding remote door open button for 3+ seconds (not sure Toyota's have this?)
21) Substantial Lexus key fob
22) Fade-To-Off interior lighting (I believe LC got this in 2014?)
23) Puddle and side step lights
24) Door sill lighting
25) Interior ambient lighting
26) Additional trunk side light and open tailgate lighting
27) +2hp / +2tq (requires 91 octane, LC is 87 octane)
28) More luxurious interior appointments
29) Ventilated outboard rear seats
30) Four-zone climate concierge
31) LED Headlamp with AHS Sequential Turn
32) LED Cornering Lamp
33) 12.3-inch high-res split-screen display (LC 9")
34) Head-up display
35) Steering wheel paddle shifter
36) Door puddle projector lamps
37) Rear door retractable sun shades
38) 2020 gets special trims: "LX570 Sport" to "LC Heritage"
39) Dual screen rear entertainment
40) All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (LC DRCC for 25mph and up)

Last edited:
Truck can be replaced, you and loved ones not. Glad you're okay.

That said I understand how you might feel, if my old LS430 got totaled I'd want to shoot myself. How bad was the vehicle you rear-ended? Did you get any pics of that?

Truck can be replaced, you and loved ones not. Glad you're okay.

That said I understand how you might feel, if my old LS430 got totaled I'd want to shoot myself. How bad was the vehicle you rear-ended? Did you get any pics of that?
I did, it looks like an expensive fix, but the other car frankly did better than mine. Which is frustrating in a flagship vehicle.
81A153FC-70A9-45E9-B870-D60B4F7066E7.jpeg

I did, it looks like an expensive fix, but the other car frankly did better than mine. Which is frustrating in a flagship vehicle.
View attachment 2659642

It didn't necessarily do better.

Understand that all cars have front ends designed to crumple in an accident and absorb impact energy. Even our tanks, as it's a safety feature. Rear ends of most all cars are more robust and not particularly designed to crumple. Especially ones that may have a 3rd row right near the tail end. It is the job of the car crashing from behind to crumple as your car did.

The cars job is not to protect itself, but rather to protect occupants and even pedestrians.

View attachment 2656206

That's the radiator core support/body mount.
The core support (also what the headlight mounts to) was hit and damaged the mount.

Understand that all cars have front ends designed to crumple in an accident and absorb impact energy. Even our tanks, as it's a safety feature. Rear ends of most all cars are more robust and not particularly designed to crumple. Especially ones that may have a 3rd row right near the tail end. It is the job of the car crashing from behind to crumple as your car did.

The cars job is not to protect itself, but rather to protect occupants and even pedestrians.

TeCKis300:

——————————————————————————-
Huh?! Actually, most modern SUVs have crumple zones in the rear…they have to because most have 3rd row seats!!! Your reasoning that 3rd row seats automatically means no crumple zone is absolutely wrong…and quite illogical.

Both Acura MDX and Lexus RX (pictured above) have crumple zones in the rear bumper and body. In fact, the Acura MDX (came out in 2014) made special mention of their crush zones for the rear end!

In the accident of this thread, the LC hit the RX above the bumper.

This is from Lexus in 2010:

July 28, 2010

PASSIVE SAFETY

Supplemental Restraint Systems (SRS)

Lexus engineers its vehicles with advanced passive safety technology, founded in a body structure equipped with front and rear crumple zones.

Last edited:
Huh?! Actually, most modern SUVs have crumple zones in the rear…they have to because most have 3rd row seats!!! Your reasoning that 3rd row seats automatically means no crumple zone is absolutely wrong…and quite illogical.

Both Acura MDX and Lexus RX (pictured above) have crumple zones in the rear bumper and body. In fact, the Acura MDX (came out in 2014) made special mention of their crush zones for the rear end!

In the accident of this thread, the LC hit the RX above the bumper.

This is from Lexus in 2010:

July 28, 2010

PASSIVE SAFETY

Supplemental Restraint Systems (SRS)

Lexus engineers its vehicles with advanced passive safety technology, founded in a body structure equipped with front and rear crumple zones.

Don't disagree with you buddy. But the rear crumple zone is so small compared to what the front end is designed to do.

You're so eager to get your mad on that you might have missed the words I used. "Rear ends of most all cars are more robust and not particularly designed to crumple."

Case in point - If you've ever looked under the bumper cover of our 200-series. That sucker is seriously stout as an integral frame member of the chassis, and integral hitch. I can tell you that sucker will not crumple in the way you're suggesting. There is only about 1" worth of bumper cover crumple before that member. My 100-series has been hit in the rear before. Funny cause the other car crumpled like a can. As it should. My hitch left a nice square punchout in their bumper. Zero damage to my 100-series.

Don't disagree with you buddy. But the rear crumple zone is so small compared to what the front end is designed to do.

You're so eager to get your mad on that you might have missed the words I used. "Rear ends of most all cars are more robust and not particularly designed to crumple."

Case in point - If you've ever looked under the bumper cover of our 200-series. That sucker is seriously stout as an integral frame member of the chassis, and integral hitch. I can tell you that sucker will not crumple in the way you're suggesting. There is only about 1" worth of bumper cover crumple before that member. My 100-series has been hit in the rear before. Funny cause the other car crumpled like a can. As it should. My hitch left a nice square punchout in their bumper. Zero damage to my 100-series.

TeCKis300:
Don’t disagree with you buddy. But the rear crumple zone is so small compared to what the front end is designed to do.

—————————————————————————-
Case in point…you may backtracking again, but your explanation why RX did not suffer severe damage is wrong. :)

Last edited:
I've seen a pic of a Ram 1500 that was totaled from rear ending an LX570, I wish I could find it. LX had damage, but fixable. No frame damage. Ram was totaled.

I've seen a pic of a Ram 1500 that was totaled from rear ending an LX570, I wish I could find it. LX had damage, but fixable. No frame damage. Ram was totaled.
This?

Crumple zone vs no crumple zone (trailer hitch)

LX driver probably has disc herniation injuries

Now I’m curious if any rear end collision would hit the hitch part even with the cover on? It’s just a little plastic piece. I don’t plan to take mine off until I start towing. I definitely leave hitch on my Yukon on.

I finally got the repair estimate today and I’m a bit confused. Cost to repair is just shy of 17k and the total loss payout is about 26k. Residual value is roughly 16k as well. I’m not understanding the math that makes it a total loss. What part of the equation am I missing. Car was totaled in Texas but is titled in Tennessee if that matters.

Wow I was having a good time reading this poor guys post WOW that just came out of nowhere. He was getting his mad on.

I finally got the repair estimate today and I’m a bit confused. Cost to repair is just shy of 17k and the total loss payout is about 26k. Residual value is roughly 16k as well. I’m not understanding the math that makes it a total loss. What part of the equation am I missing. Car was totaled in Texas but is titled in Tennessee if that matters.
I think "total loss" is when the repair estimate is some fraction of the market value of the vehicle that makes repair impractical, not that the repair cost is estimated to be more than the value of the vehicle. I've heard 50% tossed around, but it probably varies by insurer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom