A Rough New Rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings everyone! I'm stoked to be joining the family! I'm totally new to off-roading, but I've got the bug. Last fall, I went on a dirt road camping trip across Idaho with an old friend (and his friends), and it turned out our definitions of "dirt road" were not aligned. I brought my 100% stock 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and proceeded to expedite the Jeep's depreciation while trying to keep up with 5 Land Cruisers. Upon my return home to Arkansas, the search began for my own.

Now, with a kid in pre-school and a SO in school, I was pretty doubtful that I'd have the funding to even get an 80 series, let alone have any funds leftover to get it reliable and trail ready, but as luck would have it, I got everything I wanted in my new rig! It's probably one of the ROUGHEST rigs here, but it's perfect for me and what I want from it. Obviously for $5,500 I didn't get a trailer queen, but I'm excited for the work that has been done. It's a 1996 FZJ80 with 220k on the clock. It has a recently rebuild head (surfaced and valve job), new Toyota head gasket, new Toyota water pump, Lifetime Pesky Heater Hose, 7-pin mod, 2"-3" lift (spacers), Newer 35" tires (Kanati), OME Steering Damper, Slee Castor Correcting bushings, and a Detroit Locker in the rear!

For all the great things that made me want it however, there are the many, many, many rough things that kept anyone else from buying it! The rear windows and electric seats don't move, it's missing the passenger mirror, the snorkel is connected with duct tape, the climate control system does nothing and has been replaced with a universal heater, there's no AC, no oh-sh*t handles, no interior lights, the passenger knuckle needs rebuilding and there's a small oil leak that seems to be coming from the rear main seal. And that's just the list of things I would like to fix!

Undeniably, she's not for everyone and I know there are those here that might scoff at my big ugly pumpkin, but I couldn't be more excited! As a dedicated camping and fun rig, it'll suit my needs just fine. I've got a rebuild kit for the knuckles ready, a Delta VS Panhard bracket to install and some trails to hit! If there's anyone in or near Northwest Arkansas that wants to meet up or can point me in the right direction for some local weekend getaways, let me know!

1.jpg

20220921_192409.jpg

20221018_182154.jpg

20221018_183335.jpg

20221018_183625.jpg

Good luck. Bet you will have fun.👍

A running Land Cruiser for what you can afford is never a bad thing in my book. And I dig the color. My Cruiser was super beat when I got it, but the price was right and I don't feel too bad when I use it hard. Can't wait to see where you go with this

A running Land Cruiser for what you can afford is never a bad thing in my book. And I dig the color. My Cruiser was super beat when I got it, but the price was right and I don't feel too bad when I use it hard. Can't wait to see where you go with this
I'm already glad I don't have to worry about tree branches and bushes scraping my paint!

What a perfect trail rig!
As for the oil leak... meh :meh:. ACIS (Automatic Corrosion Inhibiting System), works great, just top off the engine as needed.

Oh s*** handles you say... got a welder?

And before I forget, the official MUD welcome... WELCOME to MUD :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

What a perfect trail rig!
As for the oil leak... meh :meh:. ACIS (Automatic Corrosion Inhibiting System), works great, just top off the engine as needed.

Oh s*** handles you say... got a welder?

And before I forget, the official MUD welcome... WELCOME to MUD :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Ha! I didn't realize so many of my vehicles have ACIS built in! I love the handles! I'll have to try my hand at it. Appreciate the welcome! Gauges UP! :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom