A reliable portable air compressor for tire fill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a question or two on compressors. I am looking to connect my current compressor( I can still return it via Prime) which is a Viair 90P, link here).

I am running a home made 4 air system which uses a 1/4 npt valve to inflate all 4 tires at once. I have 33' tires and want something adequate but don't want to spend insane amount of $ on a compressor.

I need the compressor to have a quick connect coupler(or the ability to have one modified to do so) to connect to the 4 air system, but when I messaged Viair of course they recommended to not do this. My 4air system is using 3/8 hose and it seems the viair 90p is a 1/4 inch hose. I see some viair compressors come with quick connect coupler ie this 45043 here.

This is my first run in with any air compressor and the 4air system. I posted in another thread about it but wasn't getting much advice.

Should I modify the 90p to take a 1/4 barb and quick connect or look for something bigger already configured? The picture is of the hose end of the compressor that attaches directly to a tire valve stem, however, I just need to connect to this fitting hence the need for quick connector. The other pic is where the hose attach to the 90p.
20200824_173235.jpg

20200810_172006.jpg

I’ve owned the Viair 90p (still do) and it’s fine, if you have the time to respect its duty cycle.

Otherwise, you’ll burn it up. I still have mine and I carry it as a backup to my current compressor.

Read about the Viair 90P HERE and it’s duty cycle and other specs. It’s 15% duty cycle says run for 1.5mins and let it cool down for 8.5 mins, out of every 10 mins.

Once I bought a travel trailer that required 80psi in the tires, I found a Viair 380c “constant duty” compressor. “Constant duty” means 100% duty cycle, read about the Viair 380c HERE.

The price difference is $100 more, for the 350c. But, worth every penny. I’ve hard wired it under the hood of my 40 and it has never failed me... even at 100+* outside and WAY hotter under the hood. You will need to run over 2000rpm, while inflating tires, to keep from draining your battery. A hand throttle is handy for this.

Milwaukee cordless is 1.2 scfm @90 psi. I can't remember how scfm correlates to plain cfm, but if you look through all of the nice tables on the viaair site, the 400p runs about the same spec at 90psi. The other issue with the milwaukee for our trucks is size/weight. 30+lbs without a battery, and a decent sized cube of space too.
Also fwiw, 350 bucks is a good start on an onboard air system of some type.

I’ve owned the Viair 90p (still do) and it’s fine, if you have the time to respect its duty cycle.

Otherwise, you’ll burn it up. I still have mine and I carry it as a backup to my current compressor.

Read about the Viair 90P HERE and it’s duty cycle and other specs. It’s 15% duty cycle says run for 1.5mins and let it cool down for 8.5 mins, out of every 10 mins.

Once I bought a travel trailer that required 80psi in the tires, I found a Viair 380c “constant duty” compressor. “Constant duty” means 100% duty cycle, read about the Viair 380c HERE.

The price difference is $100 more, for the 350c. But, worth every penny. I’ve hard wired it under the hood of my 40 and it has never failed me... even at 100+* outside and WAY hotter under the hood. You will need to run over 2000rpm, while inflating tires, to keep from draining your battery. A hand throttle is handy for this.
Thank you I was wondering if the 90p was up to the task. A constant duty seems a better route to go. Is hardwiring the compressor a relatively straight forward process (I can dig deeper on that later) but do have ahc.

The Puma PD-1006 has 3.4 CFM and 100% duty cycle and is reasonably priced on eBay. Several others on MUD use it to pretty good success. Has a quick disconnect already fitted and comes with 10 gauge leads making it easy to hardwire with Anderson plugs, running 4 gauge wire to the back from your engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom