A reliable portable air compressor for tire fill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ gets hotter - metal expands, probably seals better, so pumps better.... JMHO

cheers,
george.

@Code Red thank you for sharing all that info about ARB vs Bushranger vs Viair. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I was shocked at how much 4X4 stuff you can buy just walking into a store in Dubai. These are pics I took at an Ace Hardware for example. Way nicer than the Ace Hardwares over here in the US!!

IMG_20161218_141501827_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161218_141519227_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161218_145100230_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161218_145109087_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161218_145117716_HDR.jpg

The VIAIR 85P is the best of the best. Compact, lightweight, durable:steer:

I have a couple Viair's, the bigger one, 450 maybe? I use to fill my E rated tires from 15psi to 65 up front and 55 rear, takes a while but does it well enough, its a big diesel with a camper, soooo.

Lets not forget deflation, best so far for me is the ARB that pulls your valve stem. quick air down matters!

@Code Red thank you for sharing all that info about ARB vs Bushranger vs Viair. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I was shocked at how much 4X4 stuff you can buy just walking into a store in Dubai. These are pics I took at an Ace Hardware for example. Way nicer than the Ace Hardwares over here in the US!!

View attachment 1691601 View attachment 1691602 View attachment 1691604 View attachment 1691605 View attachment 1691607
69 Dirham for the Jerry cans is a great deal, that's like $17.

View attachment 1691601 View attachment 1691602 View attachment 1691604 View attachment 1691605 View attachment 1691607

I bought mine from the display in your photo in 2013. Check out AD 4x4 if your looking for someone to ride with. They're a little saner than most and don't flip as often. I brought back three of those jerry cans when we moved back to Atlanta.

Found an article on the subject: The Top 4 Portable Air Compressors for Jeeps in 2019
After I read it I stopped on these variants:

- ARB CKMP12 – Highest Quality Portable Air Compressor. Looks like it comes in both 12V and 24V configurations depending on the amount of power you need and comes in both portable and on-board versions.

- Smittybilt 2781 – Best Multipurpose Air Compressor. It has long air hose for getting to multiple vehicles. And with this I can save my money.

Which one is better in your opinion? Can this article be trusted? Money is no object.

I’m happy with Viair. Some of the more expensive ARB’s may be better, or if you are using air lockers you could use an aux tank and an air chuck.

If money is truly no object then buy this: Item # XD3000-12, XD3000 Extended-Duty Air Compressors On Oasis Manufacturing for the low price of $1950.

Or if you didn't actually mean that buy this: Product : Extreme Outback

I had one of those Oasis compressors in my G-Wagen, what a beast of a compressor! It could hold a small tank at over 80psi while filling a 37” tire, running about 70% duty. According to their site the model I had could run a 1/2” impact wrench without a tank.

I currently have a Slime portable compressor that I got for around $70 on amazon. Works great on my 31” and 33” tires. I’ve used it to air up 2 rigs back to back, it did just fine.

I’ve be completely satisfied with Viair... never had one die... never had to rebuild one.

I’ve been carrying a Viair 00088 in my truck for years... I use it to top off tires on my truck and trailer. I forget the duty cycle, but it’s low enough that I have to take care not to overheat it. Run it only with the engine running.

Amazon product ASIN B005ASY23I
I have a Viair 380C hardwired, under the hood of my 40... it’s a 100% duty cycle and I use it to air up, using a 4-way hose system that sits all four tires at the same time. It doesn’t overheat.., even under an FJ40 hood. It does the job, quickly and efficiently. NOTE: I have to run my hand throttle up to 2500rpms, to prevent draining the battery.

Amazon product ASIN B01LTGEP4K
Edit: I’m not running lockers or an air tank

After having few portable compressors ( including the all mighty PUMA ) IMHO the ARB twin portable it's the best .. ( sh**expensive tho ) it really make it happen for my 40" tires on Tencha ..

I met up with the Dobinsons guys at Overland Expo and they had this compressor there. According to the specs, it puts out about as much as the dual ARB for the price of the single ARB. Does anyone have feedback on this model?

Be nice to see specs for cfm (or lpm) at 10/20/30/40 psi.

cheers,
george.

The Dobinson link says its 170L/min (at no load, no doubt). The ARB dual is 174L/min (no-load). So no-load nominals confirm their claim but no-load numbers are kind of bogus because loaded performance could be dramatically different. Also, the ARB dual is 100% duty cycle, the Dobinson is less. They say only 40 min run-time.

I wish manufacturers give volume/pressure curves in their specs but at least ARB gives one other data point: 130L/min at 29psi.

Another vote for a Viair. I have the 300P and I’m using it with 315s. Takes about 3 minutes/tire to go from 20-35 PSI, which I’m perfectly content with.

I also vote for the ARB deflator. Just used it the first time this past weekend and it was crazy-fast and a super convenient design!

I’ll also vote Viair, I have a 400p and it’s done great for 5+ years now.

The ARB stem remover is also a must have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom