1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A real MAN topic: cookware

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Doc, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    After the wifey nearly burned the kitchen down last week trying to deep fry some zucchini ( and ruined a nice 8" caphalon egg pan in the process ), I've taken a good look at some of my pans. It's time for new. Most of my non-stick stuff is flaking, and I hear that those flakes are bad for your brain.

I've got a hodge-podge of All clad and Caphalon cookware, and it's nearly all the caphalon that's flaking. My only non-stick all-clad pot ( a sauce pan, how dumb is that? a non-stick sauce pan?!) is doing fine.

My pondering today is should I just go stainless now that all this bad stuff is coming out about the non-stick stuff?

I want to stay upper end, Le cruset, All clad, etc... I like some of caphalon's stuff, but am starting to get gun shy after last weekend's revelations of flaking.

About the fire- Yes, my wife doesn't cook much. I was away on vacation, she wanted deep fried zucchini strips. She filled the 8" pan half way and then plopped the battered strips in there, overflowing the pan and neccesitating the call to 911. And, I'll be darned if that wasn't my favorite egg pan too....

2. Hot_Eighty_Chick

Hot_Eighty_Chick

A pan?

What's that??? :confused:

3. Hot_Eighty_Chick

Hot_Eighty_Chick

p.s.
    One time when I was about 7 my grandma was taking a shower so I decided I was going to make some tots.
    I filled the pan up a lil (not halfway!!) and waited til it was sizzling.
    Plopped some frozen tots in and WHAM a giant flame rose to the ceiling. Well- being the sneaky lil s*** I am, I just shut it off really quick and threw some baking soda on it to stop the flame.
    Got up on a chair and scrubbed the black mark off the ceiling and nobody knew!

hahaha

4. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

I'm not keen on cooksets. I like a little of this n that. Each surface has its own purpose, so it's good to have a variety. I have mish-mash of All-Clad, Calphalon, Le Creuset, and cast iron pieces.

Don't get freaked out about nonstick. I'm pretty sure they haven't proven a darn thing about it. IIRC it *might* do some harm, if you use it on super-high heat, often. So don't use it for blackened tuna and you should be fine.

I like to cruise the open stock sales at cooking.com, and hit up the Friday sales on Amazon.com.

5. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    cast iron!!! Griswold is an excellent brand! My collection of cast is so well seasoned, it's better than my Circulon stuff.

6. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Williams-sonoma has a pretty nice deal on Le Cruset set right now, but it comes with a bunch of pieces I don't use much.

I've never had cast before, so I'm kind of looking at it a bit harder now. How is the enamel on the cruset? Is there a warranty on it if it gets chipped?

7. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

If you get caphalon, stick with the aluminum surface.

Nonstick pans suck ass..

8. Jman

Jman

I'm a bit more wary of nonstick than the grrl here, but otherwise, x2--I've got cast iron, All-Clad, and Calphalon. Don't go crazy on a set, pick and choose what you want/need. If you're thinking of trying Le Creuset, buy ONE piece and try it for a while before buying more. It is not for everything and everyone, but it certainly has it's uses.

As for non-non-stick, just use the proper seasoning/butter/oil and temperature and nothing will stick. :) Much. :grinpimp: After fourteen years of seasoning, my Calphalon and non-enamel cast iron stuff is is awesome shape.

9. tcb

tcb

Media:
    Albums:
    It that metal tub on the bottom of the engine where all your motoroil hangs out.

10. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

The only Le Creuset I have is a tiny little skillet and saucepan, so they rarely get used. I bought them used, and no chips so far. Since I baught it used, I have no idea if they offer a warranty on the new stuff.

I also have a Dansk enamelled pot that I like too. It's from the 70s and only has chips along the rim, from the lid.

I like my cast iron for browning stuff, and then chucking it in the oven. Or course, it can't be beat for making breakfast foods. I just don't like cleaning it, and since it's so heavy, it's a bear to move around.

I do use the cast iron grill pan a good deal, since I can't use the grill while we're living in an apt. And I plan on getting the Lodge dual burner, flippable grill/griddle next. It is a pain to clean between the raised parts of the grill.

11. Jman

Jman

I've got the Le Creuset flippable griddle/grill. It's great, but there's a LOT of splatter to clean up when you're done.

12. miletwo

miletwo

Albums:
    Stainless all the way. The key to stainless cookware is heat management. You will stick crap on the bottom of the pan, only when you are cooking with too much heat. If you're willing to turn down the flame a bit, keep the food moving, and use appropriate amounts of fat (butter, oil, etc.) to make a small barrier, you'll do fine.

Ahem... did I just give away too much knowledge of my cooking skills? EEK!

Jeremy

13. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

Dinner at your place!!

14. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    If you have the money, go for copper - you can't beat it for even heat distribution. My :princess: is a personal chef and that (and occasionally stainless steel) is all she uses. It does cost, but it's functional, beautiful, and lasts forever.

15. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I'm a big fan of All-clad with a stainless surface on both sides. Two thumbs up. For real fry chores,though, it's cast iron all the way. In fact, as time has passed, we are using the cast iron more and more and the All clad less and less. Season it very well and don't bother with the "pre-seasoned" pans.

I really like the All-clad pots we have for routine boiling and sauces. They are very expensive, though, so if you want a full set, get out the home equity loan.

For best bang for the $$-get 2 Lodge fry pans-a 10" and a 12", plus a Dutch Oven 10-12 inches, plus a griddle. You can get all of that for $100 or so. Then add an All-clad 3-4 quart pot, and an All-clad stock pot when the $$ allow. A cheap non-stick aluminum pan is great for frying eggs. When the coating goes bad, (usually 1 year) throw it out and get another.

Just personally, I have no use for Cephalon. It isn't durable like All-clad and it isn't cheap/functional/great cooking like cast iron.

16. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad

Media:
    Albums:
    Non-stick's for the heat-n-serve crowd. Learn to cook and you can use whatever you want. But you'll want to keep it to copper, stainless, aluminum, or cast-iron, IMHO.

BTW (speaking of cast iron), I thought Le Cruset was cast iron? No non-stick there. Or have they expanded into the heat-n-serve crowd?

edit: I've had a lot of cookware. Right now, I decorate my kitchen with Mauviel, but I use my beat-to-s*** 1992 Calphalon stuff on a daily basis to prepare meals ;)

17. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

Le Creuset is enamelled cast iron, and no it's not non-stick.

And non-stick certainly has its place even among those who cook. I like to use it sometimes, so that I don't have to use as much fat, being a bit health-conscious as I am.

18. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad

Media:
    Albums:
    B-b-b-b-b-but it's not cooking without massive amounts of fat!!!! :D

19. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

Years ago I got a really good matched set of Wolfgang Puck pots, pans, etc. Now I am doing what I should have done all along... replacing one at a time with the very best of what it is that I want and then donating or throwing away the LAST set of matched pots and pans I will own. I used to cook in a restaurant, so I knew better when I got the matched set but it was 'such a good deal'. I can not remember the brand of the last three egg stainless pan I got, but it cost almost as much as the whole set (it has a heat holding SS clad bottom)... with just the right amount of clarified butter I can flip the eggs just like I used to. A light spray with canola oil does the trick for lower fat but unless you are eating the whites only... yada, yada, yada.

I am a real fan of straight stainless with metal handles. They will do everything a cast iron can and the care and cleaning is way easier. They do not make very good dutch ovens though. Copper can give you chemicals you do not want to ingest unless lined with SS. Copper might be truely beautiful when cleaned but it is a PITA doing that (unless that is something you really enjoy - I do not). This is my personal opinion and not a slap in the face of cast iron cookware fans.

20. trainrech

trainrech SILVER Star

Any opinions on Calphalon over flame or electric heat? I have a full set of Calph - wife has the standard-issue revere ware copper bottom stuff. I get better results with her revere ware over the open flame than the Calphalon. Also, water boils quicker in the revere (timed it).

We have a few pieces from Pampered Chef - not sure who makes it for them, but so far I'm impressed.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">