A/R Teflon vs. Stock Toyota wheels..opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Thinking of switching out the stock 1993 fzj80 series wheels for the newer dark gray American Racing Teflon coated wheels. Both for ease of cleaning and I like the dark wheel with my white rig. Anyone feel this is a stupid move as far as quality goes? Anyone have the A/R wheels?
I have seen many of your vehicles with the stock wheels...are they that good?

Thanks for input.

stock wheels are good. never had major issues with them. cleaning can be a bit of a PITA sometimes.

I went for inexpensive steel wheels for off-road use, but may switch back to my oem alloys...if I can find some time to clean them up a bit. Mine are pretty beaten up.

How tough are those teflon coated wheels? are you planning on using them on the rocks? they could get thrashed...

How tough are those teflon coated wheels? are you planning on using them on the rocks? they could get thrashed...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I will use them off-road, quite a bit. I am wondering if the teflon just scratches right off. Look good but may be a dumb idea. Just saw a white taco with them the other day and they looked very classy.

Whitey I installed AR's Teflon coated Chamber rims on my LC about a month ago. So far the finish has held up excellently and I don't think I would have a problem wheeling them in the rocks as they seem pretty stout. The finish on these things is pretty heavy duty. They are a breeze to clean also. One thing to keep in mind if you order these particular rims is that for what ever reason the center caps wouldn't fit my LC so I had to retro-fit some diffrent caps. The rims are expensive as he!! too. They look sweet in a industrial/tough kind of way though.

Hey Cruisehunter can you send me a pic of your truck with the new wheels installed. I am considering and I want to see what they look like.

Any wheel is going to get bashed on rocks, no matter if it has teflon or not. I like those teflon AR wheels, just a little pricey for my taste for a set of wheels that i do plan on getting scratch and dinged a bit.

I love the look but I have heard these very common complaints:
1. the finish gets scratched easily
2. no center cap will fit or if one does, it is the chrome one that doesn't look that great.

Doug, I think you should PC your OEM rims black- that would look great on your rig.

FirstToy said:
I think you should PC your OEM rims black- that would look great on your rig.

Any idea what it would cost to powder coat five rims? Also, can I get some black caps to match a powder coated rim?

around here, it goes for anywhere from $35-50 per wheel

cheapest way to black caps would be spray paint-probably what a shop would do and just charge more.

FJ45KC said:
Hey Cruisehunter can you send me a pic of your truck with the new wheels installed. I am considering and I want to see what they look like.

FJ45, as soon as I get my new camera I'll email you some pic's.

Whitey what FirstToy say's is true. I'm trying to figure out a way to blacken my caps right now. If the finish will adhere I'm thinking of Linexing them.

CRUISEHUNTER said:
Whitey what FirstToy say's is true. I'm trying to figure out a way to blacken my caps right now. If the finish will adhere I'm thinking of Linexing them.

There are some places where a bed liner belongs... maybe on the floor, maybe in a bed, like its name implies even on fenders you’re starting to get ... But on tube work, and now wheels.... Come on....Just not right in my opinion

Back to the topic at hand, saw some of these wheels come through my friends shop not to long ago. Nice looking wheels however they did have some Teflon scratch off on the inside of the rim just putting the wheels on the truck. Don't expect these to hold up to ANY rock rash... Down south, playin in the sand and hills, you maybe ok. I will agree, can't beat the ease of clean up.

-Ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom