Builds A pig for Father's Day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL You have no idea.......

Sounds like my projects.
Instead of wandering around doing nothing, I confidently undertake the task, do it wrong, get pissed, take it all apart, do it wrong again, take it apart again, then my wife walks out, sees no measurable progress and nicely asks how much longer I will be, then I do it wrong again, lie down on the driveway cursing god, take it apart again, get my LED light b/c I am running out of daylight, and then everything goes together perfectly!

Last edited:
Please forgive my incredibly amateurish sketch of this gasket cross section. Can anyone shed any light on why what I assume is the body mating side of this gasket is so complicated? Is it because of the multiple layer construction that Toyota used in this area? I’m sure it would make more sense if I had the windshield out.

Maybe @NikP could take a photo while his windshield is out?

BAD9192C-B470-4EF8-90AC-F648276D6B9F.jpeg

So I noticed today that my rear passenger door opens too far. The bottom hinge appears to be missing a spacer and a pin? Not sure exactly what unless I take another hinge apart. Anyone got any hinge parts laying around?

9D27A58F-AC4F-4A65-BA04-3D867F7B9140.jpeg

Please forgive my incredibly amateurish sketch of this gasket cross section. Can anyone shed any light on why what I assume is the body mating side of this gasket is so complicated?

Maybe @NikP could take a photo while his windshield is out?

I understand. It looks much more complicated than I can understand by looking at the windshield opening. It's nothing special but my first reaction if I didn't know better is that's the wrong gasket. I'm curious that just looks too complicated.

A5C9C257-ADE2-4665-84F8-BDCCFFA5038E.jpeg

85B4EE6F-D17D-4834-B60C-50D95DB54858.jpeg

F9D35E6F-1DE3-4F95-88E0-41B0F1C7CE25.jpeg

I understand. It looks much more complicated than I can understand by looking at the windshield opening. It's nothing special but my first reaction if I didn't know better is that's the wrong gasket. I'm curious that just looks too complicated.

It's definitely out of a 55. Looking at those photos and at my pig that still has the gasket in place, it looks like the body seal is more or less across from the windshield groove and the balance of the gasket wraps the headliner (or dash plate along the bottom).

The more I compare the 60 gasket with the 55 the more convinced I've become that two 60 gaskets could be cut down to make one 55 gasket. The moulding openings are the same size and the distance from the bottom of the windshield groove to the opposite side (body contact side) are both 1/4" +/- . There are differences obviously but I'm not sure they will be critical. The 60 gasket has two square corners and two rounded corners so you need to use four square corners. The 60 is larger in both dimension so there's no issue in that regard.

I also think you could use two of them to make a cargo window. You would need to use one rounded corner and three square corners. Obviously this is all a lot of work just to keep the chrome trim.

I sent my sketch back to CAD. 😀

2BA57BCD-A5AC-4AD5-84AA-9BB0E2DE15FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Man that’s different from my Slocruisers gasket with no chrome trim piece.

5D509806-C8AC-474B-B91A-EA3343E207F6.jpeg

0025EDE6-4E0B-47E5-A3E0-4F3EB9D23560.jpeg

67F1AD66-06B5-4A8B-90C3-6E904639BBFC.jpeg

Is there a common solution for the weatherstripping around these half windows?

Slocruisers has a replicated piece. It works but I wished it was rubber. It seems to be a silicone molded piece. I'm not sure how it will hold up.

Slocruisers has a replicated piece. It works but I wished it was rubber. It seems to be a silicone molded piece. I'm not sure how it will hold up.

Thanks. Did not see that on their website. I'll look again.

It didn't see it either. I bought a complete kit about 4-5 years ago. Maybe that tells me what I fear about it holding up. we will see.

I’ve heard it stated that a 60 cargo gasket will work on a 55. Have yet to personally try it...

Maybe but I'm not sure how it would look. You need three fairly sharp corners for the 55 cargo windows and the 60 cargo gaskets are all rounded corners. Now I think you could use 2 60 windshield gaskets to make a 55 cargo gasket since the 60 windshield gasket has two sharp corners and two rounded.

Have never checked anywhere to see how readily available 60 gaskets are. But have also seen a late 70’s - 80’s Square-Body Chevy/GMC rear window gasket used to make a side cargo gasket. There’s a write up on it in the resource thread somewhere.

Thanks. I have one of those gaskets new as well that I bought after reading the same write up. The profile of that gasket looks further away than the 60 gasket but the corners look like they would work well assuming the profile isn't an issue. That gasket has two hard corners at the bottom and two very rounded corners at the top. You would need two of them to make one cargo window gasket but I think they are reasonably priced....at least more so than the 60 gaskets.

That gasket is actually available "with moulding" as an option which I bought and although the chrome trim looks quite wide in the photos (of trucks with that trim), the groove is too narrow. The Chevy pickup trim must overlap the gasket somehow when it's installed.

@WarDamnEagle I want to apologize to you for giving you some bad advice. Early in this thread I mentioned that a Warn 8274 should fit behind a factory bumper. I am in the process of building a bumper for my 55 and the real world conclusion is that, no, it won't fit. There is not enough space between the back of the bumper and the radiator support for an 8274 to fit. You'll need a minimum of 8.5 inches of clearance. You can use the 8274 end plate as a guide to tell you what you need. It appears that the frame rails fall short by a couple of inches. You will have to fab up frame extensions or find a set of factory frame extensions that were used in conjunction with the factory PTO winch. My factory bumper is twisted and beat up, so I am going to do something different. I'll have to make some extensions. Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

@WarDamnEagle I want to apologize to you for giving you some bad advice. Early in this thread I mentioned that a Warn 8274 should fit behind a factory bumper. I am in the process of building a bumper for my 55 and the real world conclusion is that, no, it won't fit. There is not enough space between the back of the bumper and the radiator support for an 8274 to fit. You'll need a minimum of 8.5 inches of clearance. You can use the 8274 end plate as a guide to tell you what you need. It appears that the frame rails fall short by a couple of inches. You will have to fab up frame extensions or find a set of factory frame extensions that were used in conjunction with the factory PTO winch. My factory bumper is twisted and beat up, so I am going to do something different. I'll have to make some extensions. Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for letting me know Dave. I bought the reinforcement channel and mounting plate but haven’t done anything with it. I’ll take some measurements as well when I get a chance to confirm. Will let you know if I draw a different conclusion as others also said it would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom