Builds A Newbs "New" 1991 1HZ Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.handselreid.com
Greetings Mud haters,

What we have here is a total newb (me) with a basically brand new 1991 HZJ75 Troopy. I say “basically brand new” because it only has about 13,500 KM’s. Supposedly It lived at an airport in northern Australia and was used to chase Kangaroo off the runway, which in America, is a fun backstory to tell :).

Originally I didn’t plan on creating a thread for it but I keep considering making threads for individual questions and then realizing it would be better to contain all my questions here when they arise. So since I am not much of an experienced builder this will be more of a “heres some cool pictures” and “how do I do this?” and "check out this upgrade I bolted on” kind of thread. Hopefully I can at least entertain you with photos since thats how I make a living.

Thanks to all of you who have very generously and kindly answered my PM’s so far about random little things regarding 70 series! This community is so great, I love going down rabbit holes of topics and seeing what all of you do for each other when it comes to advice, help and positivity!

I worked with Phil at AustoUsa.com ( @AUStoUSA ) to get this over to the states after I found it for sale online.

The pictures I have so far:

Troopy_webExports-1.jpg
Troopy_webExports-2.jpg
myTroopy-3.jpg
myTroopy-5.jpg
myTroopy-7.jpg

Last edited:
Heres the only other photos I have..... the engine bay, wheels mounted on tires next to a jetta for a silly size comparison, and one of it being stuffed into a box in Australia.....
Believe me, there will be no shortage of photos being posted when I finally have it in my possession. I've already got a few snowboarding trips planned for this winter:steer:

Side note: The pictured Jetta TDI is a big reason I can afford to have this fresh troopy.... VW is buying it back for the same amount I paid for it 3 years ago because of the whole diesel emissions scandal (look it up if you haven't heard...its pretty wild what they were getting away with). Couldn't pass up that deal!

myTroopy-12.jpg
myTroopy-13.jpg
myTroopy-15.jpg
Troopy_webExports-6.jpg
Troopy_webExports-10.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an A/C compressor in one of the above photos. :)
I was hoping someone could confirm or deny the existence of A/C from the engine bay photos! The original listing didn't mention it as a feature is why I assumed it didn't have it. I will be VERY happy to have a defroster this winter.

Edit: I looked it up and see it in there now...... good eye @1978HJ45 !

Last edited:
This is an incredible find; good on you, Scoober!

After seeing so many threads where people have a problem on a trip and say "Of course, the one time I dont have my spare ____ in the truck, etc..." . I was wondering if some of you guys mind sharing what you usually keep in your LC at all times as far as spare parts go? I realize there are specific issues with every vehicle to plan for, but in general, as far as diesel powered 70 series go, what do you prefer to keep close?

Thanks in advance.

-Handsel

I realize there are specific issues with every vehicle to plan for, but in general, as far as diesel powered 70 series go, what do you prefer to keep close?

Thanks in advance.

-Handsel

I don't even bother anymore. I carry around a small bag with a small selection of basic tools(shifter ,2 screw drivers,pliers) and some fuses, wire and that's about it. I also have a Gregorys manual.
I prefer to keep them in a high state roadworthiness.
I have never had a component fail except for an alternator on the 3f engine,and that gave me fair warning. There was a flange gasket needed replacing and a windscreen washer pump , an engine fuse. All in 13 years.
1HZs left stock are so reliable ,they are terminally boring.

Welcome to the Troopy Club! Awesome troopy sir! Looking forward to seeing it on some trips.... If you havent already, join a facebook group called troopcarriers of australia. If FB is a thing for you. Great bunch of folks and can get you going in the right direction with parts or any issues. You planning on any trips yet???

Welcome to the Troopy Club! Awesome troopy sir! Looking forward to seeing it on some trips.... If you havent already, join a facebook group called troopcarriers of australia. If FB is a thing for you. Great bunch of folks and can get you going in the right direction with parts or any issues. You planning on any trips yet???
I pretty much snowboard all winter so I'll be hitting most of the mountains in the NW.
My Season pass is at Mt Hood but also some trips to baker, bachelor and the Wallowas are in the plans for sure. Maybe even meet my mom in Colorado for her ski trip in February.
I have a facebook account that's fully private with zero friends and I only have it to follow where pick up soccer games are happening in Portland haha. I'll have to add the troopy group to it so I have another community to go to when needed. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Last edited:
I remember the wait for sure. I tracked it on the boat literally every 2 days. Boats take forever.....

My troopy got to go through the panama canal !

Selection_001.jpg

Have you gotten any of the maintenance records? When was the timing belt/waterpump done? Id look into at least that when it gets here. I had to replace my glow plugs since they looked like they were replaced only once before.

Id replace all rubber hoses and rubber brake lines if there isnt a record of getting it done. And of course all filters, esp the fuel filter.

There are a few youtube vids of how to do it. It ist too bad.

Are the axles leaking at all? Mine looked like this and did a rebuild

DSCN0067.JPG

Brakes all around will be a good idea as well. Excited for you man!

I remember the wait for sure. I tracked it on the boat literally every 2 days. Boats take forever....
My troopy got to go through the panama canal !
Have you gotten any of the maintenance records? When was the timing belt/waterpump done? Id look into at least that when it gets here. I had to replace my glow plugs since they looked like they were replaced only once before.
Id replace all rubber hoses and rubber brake lines if there isnt a record of getting it done. And of course all filters, esp the fuel filter.
There are a few youtube vids of how to do it. It ist too bad.
Are the axles leaking at all? Mine looked like this and did a rebuild
Brakes all around will be a good idea as well. Excited for you man!
Yes to all of that haha! Going to give it my best inspection based on what I can see. Then take it to a guy who's highly recommended here in Portland to give it the full inspection and hopefully learn a lot from that. It's pretty fresh though as it is. As you can see from my parts picture I've got the typical replacements ready if need be. Including glow plugs. I assume that's probably the one thing it never really needed in Australia that it's going to need right away here.
Just got an update and it's taking a little longer than I thought but that's all good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom