A New Favorite (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two weeks ago I got my stock 85 4x4 truck with 2lt turbo diesel on the road. I bought the truck last year and traded a 86 4x4 Ford Ranger diesel and some cash for a balanced and blue printed engine. The body and interior are exceptional for its age. I am very impressed.
Last weekend a guy turned in front of me and came within inches of totaling my truck. I know it would be very hard to replace this truck. A few years ago my 82 Toyota diesel pickup was rear ended and totaled by Geico. They wanted to give me $900. After months of fighting I got $1300 and kept the truck. The damage was all to the bed. I ended up selling the truck for what I had in it. At the time comparable values were around $3500.
I have over $4, 500 in this truck and if I could find another truck to replace it I feel it would cost me a lot more. NADA values a 85 4x4 diesel pickup for $2500. I plan on finishing the restoration of this truck. Are there any insurance companies that for a reasonable amount will insure a vehicle for a agreed amont?

Two weeks ago I got my stock 85 4x4 truck with 2lt turbo diesel on the road. I bought the truck last year and traded a 86 4x4 Ford Ranger diesel and some cash for a balanced and blue printed engine. The body and interior are exceptional for its age. I am very impressed.
Last weekend a guy turned in front of me and came within inches of totaling my truck. I know it would be very hard to replace this truck. A few years ago my 82 Toyota diesel pickup was rear ended and totaled by Geico. They wanted to give me $900. After months of fighting I got $1300 and kept the truck. The damage was all to the bed. I ended up selling the truck for what I had in it. At the time comparable values were around $3500.
I have over $4, 500 in this truck and if I could find another truck to replace it I feel it would cost me a lot more. NADA values a 85 4x4 diesel pickup for $2500. I plan on finishing the restoration of this truck. Are there any insurance companies that for a reasonable amount will insure a vehicle for a agreed amont?
Lots of specialty insurance companies out there that will gladly write a "Stated Value" policy. I have a two owner 84K original mile 1986 4X4 pickup that is currently insured with Hagerty Insurance with a stated value of $8,500. I pay just under $200 per year for full coverage, no collision deductible but a $50 comprehensive deductible. I picked the value and they told me what the premium would be.
There are absolutely ZERO driving restriction, no mileage or use restrictions at all.
Tha catch....you must also have another vehicle registered/titled under your name as they don't want this to be your only vehicle.
There are other companies out there besides Hagerty such as J.C Taylor, Grundy's, etc. I suspect they all want to see you have another vehicle which is your daily driver.
I know That some of the typical insurers such as State Farm will also provide stated value policies, just not as cheaply as the specialty insurers that I named above.

Pics or the truck doesn't exist.

worthlesswithoutpics.jpg

I thank you for your response. For now this truck is my daily driver. I have some VW diesels I drive for the milage. They do not do as well in our winters here in the interior of Alaska . I will get photos up when the sun comes up later today.

I also want to see pics.

I'm searching for insurance now, having a lot of trouble getting what I want. I have been with State Farm since I started driving back in the 70's, but they won't give me an "agreed value" policy because of this rule (from their website):
  • Your antique or classic car must be used on a very limited basis, such as exhibitions, club activities, and parades or similar events.
Mine is a daily driver, so I don't qualify. Haggerty also turned me down because they require that the vehicle have very limited use, and it MUST be stored in a closed garage when not in use (mine is only in the garage when I'm working on it).

Good luck, let me know if you find anything.

How would they know if it is stored in a garage? Is there an inspector that checks? I keep my 55 in a garage now, and am shopping for specialty insurance, but I may not always have a garage. And when I drive it, its just a few miles, but I may not put it back in the garage if the weather is nice.

I also want to see pics.

I'm searching for insurance now, having a lot of trouble getting what I want. I have been with State Farm since I started driving back in the 70's, but they won't give me an "agreed value" policy because of this rule (from their website):
  • Your antique or classic car must be used on a very limited basis, such as exhibitions, club activities, and parades or similar events.
Mine is a daily driver, so I don't qualify. Haggerty also turned me down because they require that the vehicle have very limited use, and it MUST be stored in a closed garage when not in use (mine is only in the garage when I'm working on it).

Good luck, let me know if you find anything.

I did a fj45 upgrade to 1hz turbo frame off yada yada...ended up getting a guy to appraise it and the insurance company went off his appraisal...

I just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable State Farm agent (not my usual guy). He says that appraisals are only good for a short time, so unless you plan to get one say every year, that it's not worth it. I got a quote for an appraisal for $500, pretty steep. He talked to the claims department and they said they will take into account what has been spent on the restoration and aftermarket stuff, and will somehow account for the condition and region when coming up with a total loss figure, should that be necessary. But they can't tell me what it is right now, since there is no loss to report. What a racket.

I'm not gonna lie to them about how the truck is stored or used. Seems like a good way to be charged with fraud, to me.

I can only give my personal experience regarding specialty insurance. I presently have two four vehicles insured and titled under my name. Two of them, an older Volvo wagon and a 1986 Toyota Pickup, are insured with specialty insurers with stated value policies. The Volvo is with JC Taylor and I pay $98 per year for full coverage (with stated value of $4K) no collision deductible and $50 deductible for comprehensive. There are ZERO mileage or driving restrictions on this policy. I can drive it whenever and wherever I want.
The Toyota is with Hagerty. I pay just under $200 per year for full coverage (with stated value of $8,500) no collision deductible and $50 deductible for comprehensive. Again, ZERO mileage or driving restrictions on thispolicy as well.
Both companies questioned me about having a garage. I do have a garage and in fact they are both garaged when not in use. I was never asked for proof of having a garage and I know for a fact nobody ever came to my property to verify I have a garage.
Both companies also requested proof I had a daily driver vehicle aside from the car they were insuring. I provided them proof by faxing a copy of the State Farm insurance policy I have on my daily driver vehicles. They requested a minimum of two pictures (front & rear view) of the car they were going to insure. I supplied these via email.
Bottom line is they don't want the car you are insuring with them to be used as a DD and they want you storing the car in a garage on your property.
If you can supply proof of the above I don't see why they wouldn't want your business.
I'm also in the process of insuring an older Porsche with Hagerty. They quoted me $832 for a $40K stated value policy......not bad at all.

See... I have 2 strikes that disqualify me as getting a policy with them.

I'll be back on my State Farm policy in the morning. Best I could do. I'll just have to take my chances. Lesson learned. Next time I'll just buy a new truck. :mad: :bang:

Great looking rig and even better looking dog! My lab would live in my truck if I let her. Then again, so would I if the wife would let me!

Hey KLF,

if you want to sell and get a newer truck, let me know.

but I would think there would be an insurance co. that would work with you.

I talked to Hagerty yesterday about my in ok shape FJ55. I talked to two ladies, and was asked general questions. they did say they want pics of the vehicle, pics of it in the garage, and how many miles I drove a year. $175 per year for $5000 stated value. $0 deductible. But, there was no mention of a mileage limit, however I'm still hesitant of how easily they would pay a claim. Seems that there would be mountains of fine print that could be used to deny a claim.

It is -7 this morning. My goal for today is to clean out my garage. I have a frost plug heater and silicone pad on my oil pan. It starts fine when plugged in but at -20 or colder issues will develop. I have found at -30 fuel issues develop and additive is needed.
I find my self driving defensively more than normal.
There are a lot of 2nt generation trucks on the road here. Most of them are beat . This is my first. I have owned a lot of gas and diesel first generation trucks all two wheel drive.
I have bought and sold Datsun, Ford Ranger, Isuzu , Mazda diesels and now own two VW diesel trucks. This truck is by far my favorite.

at -20 or colder issues will develop.

ya I have starting issues at anything below zero. My truck is fine, me not so much. ;)

Nice looking truck, sorry about the bench seat.

Just an FYI for the American Mudders. My insurance on my 1990 pickup is $1200 per year. And my truck does not look 1/10th as good as KLF's. Second car for commuting is also $1200 in insurance.

My son (30 years old) lives in Boston, has an 87 4Runner, minimum coverage, pays almost $400 PER MONTH.

My 87 truck is around $1400 a year here in Vancouver area but I'm too nervous to drive it around. Once the body work gets fixed up and the truck is a real risk to be a huge loss I'll be getting more info on insurance. Back in the old days when I lived in Alberta I had a 91 Cavalier and with no government regulated insurance they charged me $525 a month when I was 19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom