a NAPA horror story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kruisinkid

topless dorkel
SILVER Star
Threads
Even a national retailer sh!ts the bed sometimes......

I had known my brake system was in need of some serious R/R for a couple months. i knew at least the pads needed to be replaced. i had pep boys rotate the tires and check rotor warpage. they said the rears were in fact warped and the pads were shot. i was never happy with my 80's brakes, always a bit mushy, so i thought i would just go all the way and replace the calipers as well.

so i ordered 2 rear OEM rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, and NAPA eclipse re-man calipers. if you're wondering, the warped rears were drilled and slotted Power Stops. [it is believed a frozen rear caliper or two probably sent them to an early death]

everything came pretty quickly. i opened one of the caliper boxes to see what a re-man'd caliper looked like. its looked nice, fresh black paint and all the fixings. the NAPAs are well recommended on the 80 forum for replacement if going with reman'd.

a week or two goes by before i had a chance to drop it off at my mechanic, i finally give him the parts and the truck early on a friday asking for it back by the end of the day. he says should be fine. an hour later he calls to tell me one of the calipers in a sealed box is junk. he sends me a pic and see that they sent me someone elses core!

i call NAPA and tell them what happened and they start the process to send me a replacement. this is friday around 1p.

i go back to the mechanic at the end of the day and hes been having problems getting a brake hose to seat into a caliper without weeping fluid. a team of 2 guys are on the brakes and the head mechanic/shop owner 45 minutes past quitin' time on a friday and i tell them to stop and go home.

i call napa again monday (customer service is only M-F, 8-5!) to see if i can beg for overnight shipping and the nice lady on the other end, who already knew who i was before i told her, told me it already was being overnighted. they get a point back for that. it didnt come til late tuesday so i dropped it off at 7am wednesday. he calls me a few hours later to tell me this was a caliper for a different model, "the bracket doesnt bolt on". they are going to use the half that works of the reman'd and clean up and replace the seals in the original half and be done [it was the rear left that was the problem child]. they figured out the problem with the hose connections weeping and said they had to grind the casting a little but was now working.

i get the truck around 9a thursday after having probably over 20 man-hours put into this.

moral of the story: if you actually buy re-man'd items from NAPA, inspect them IMMEDIATELY! and then dont expect perfection. customer service is excellent, but inconvenient. it cost over $500 with core charges for 4 calipers. i was shipped the ugliest, greasiest brake caliper ive ever seen and then a replacement that im told did not fit the application.

buyer be very careful.

I recommend NOT using their high pressure fittings and gaskets. The fitting does not seat correctly into a Toyota casting (if you indeed received a remanufactured Toyota casting).

good to know. this was my first time ever using anything from napa, and probably the last. i dont know yet for certain if they are in fact toyota castings. im gonna get a chance to get under the truck friday and take a look. Thanks!

not many shops will install customers parts anymore. when working on a customers rig, I buy the parts, I only charge a small markup, but with my discount it ends up being almost the same if the customer bought it.

If not Toyota OEM stuff, I use my local Napa, and only had 1 incident in the last few years. Guy grabbed a 24 volt bulb instead of a 12.

I use NAPA a lot but my local NAPA store has been owned long term by some VERY knowledgeable folks that know what they are doing. I've never had any issues with them or the quality of their parts. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for OEM Toyota but my next stop is NAPA. With that said I don't order from them online because I want to deal with the guys I know.

I use NAPA a lot but my local NAPA store has been owned long term by some VERY knowledgeable folks that know what they are doing. I've never had any issues with them or the quality of their parts. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for OEM Toyota but my next stop is NAPA. With that said I don't order from them online because I want to deal with the guys I know.
Never had luck ordering online from Napa.

The guys at my local store are awesome. And when you see them pull out the big parts cross reference books rather than rely on the computer. you know you are in good hands. They use the computer to basically check availability.

Online or not, if the part you need isnt on the shelf when you walk in, someone in IL warehouse is gonna pack it and ship it to your store. Maybe the same guy that packed my order, twice! Maybe your local will open the box and check it before he calls you. I dont have the luxury of a local napa store so to speak. Like i said, just make sure you ooen the box as soon as you get it for reman’d parts

My friends small shop is a napa car care center, so napa covers warnatee and labor on their parts.

I watched them go thru 6 napa reman PS pumps for a Chevy in a week before they got one that worked (for how long I dunno) not good for the shop or the customer.

Almost daily they have bad parts issues from napa. Bad calipers all the time. Now I am not sure it's just napas parts but most Chinese reman stuff is probably the same.

I did get then set up with my Toyota wholesale guy, but not all customers are willing to pay the extra.

Me....I still order and bring my own parts(as well as work with them on my own stuff), which was one of the things I insisted on when I started using them 5 years ago. I am pretty confident there is an extreamly low Toyota parts failure. Matter of fact I can't think of one bad Toyota part I have got in 30 years.

...Now I am not sure it's just napas parts but most Chinese reman stuff is probably the same....

Chinese don't reman anything. Its reman in the USA or Mexico, you can thank them for the quality control...

I did know that...;)

Only reman parts I like are Toyota -84 ;)

Chinese don't reman anything. Its reman in the USA or Mexico, you can thank them for the quality control...

I recommend NOT using their high pressure fittings and gaskets. The fitting does not seat correctly into a Toyota casting (if you indeed received a remanufactured Toyota casting).

that is very true, ive run into that with other brand reman calipers. ive also found that the crush washers that they give you in the bag of parts usually don't crush down enough to seal well so I always go for the toyota crush washers when possible

I've had a similar experience with a NAPA rear caliper for my 80 Series. Was finally able to get it to seat after dieseling the crap out of it. Thought it was a one off error and went to do rear calipers on my LX and NAPA had several 100 series castings in the 80 Series labeled boxes. The castings were very similar and will bolt up, but piston is different size and the pads fit very tight. They also didn't have the holes drilled for the anti-rattle clips to be installed. Lesson learned, I will always take the old caliper with me to compare piece by piece to the new calipers or better yet, spend the extra and get the OEM from Onur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom