a mild rant @broadway toyota

Paul DiNapoli

SILVER Star
any time I need cruiser parts I at least give Broadway Toyota (Portland Oregon) a call - my impulsiveness and poor planning often means I want the parts right now....so that I might be able to do a cruiser project on a saturday...so I'm willing to pay a little more to get it local same day or even next day.

every time I call Broadway Toyota they are 2, 3, 4x higher than anything close.

bought new horn pin, and the brass connector ring from toyotapartsdeal.com

Broadway wanted $24.00 for the contact ring - and $15.00 for the pin.

2 weeks ago I needed to rebuild or replace my starter motor - Broadway wanted $290.00 for reman, I found it for $160.00 online. Granted - I would have had to figure out core charge + shipping - but that would not have been $130.00.

I even called Broadway back on the phone and said "look - i want to buy local - but help me justify why you're more than $100.00 from the nearest competitor". the dude had no good explanation "i dont set the prices"

I chose the rebuild option and bought the parts to rebuild it - for all of $60.00

I give up...I can't call Broadway and be disappointed any more.

OSS

Almost every local Toyota dealer rapes their customers on parts prices. Has been that way since Toyota was founded. Once you mention "online" the parts guy will usually back away a bit from his desk, give you a dirty look, and pretty much blackball you from his buddy buddy list. They know that anyone buying parts at their dealership is either desperate or a fool, so they don't care.
And to add to the butt hurt, no local dealership stocks any old land cruiser parts. Nothing. So they have to order it from the warehouse anyway and you've got to come back another day to get the full rape experience to pick up the parts.

Paul DiNapoli

SILVER Star
yep - spot on!!

when i did my h55 swap - i ruined my first attempt installing the rear main seal - caught an edge on the lip of the crankcase going in - and the seal just wouldn't sit right after i damaged it...so I pulled it and went after another one.

to their credit - I called broadway first thing monday am and was able to get the RMS that afternoon - which put my swap back on track. but i paid for it with $$$ and butthurt for sure...but I wanted to get that swap done so bad I didn't want to sit around staring at the truck on jack stands while waiting for parts...so I ponied up.

still - causes butthurt for sure!

It is more expensive because dealerships have to make a profit to pay for their facility, employees, insurance and all the overhead you don't think of. Most customers at dealerships aren't enthusiasts, so pricing will always be higher so that they can turn a profit.

The online sites we all know and love work because they give us their employee or sometimes edging closer to wholesale prices. Become friends with your counter guy so they can help with parts that you want next day. They don't have to give you a discount and knowing cheaper prices are just a benefit of the information age that we get to shop around from the comfort of our home.

Enjoy that you can have both and suck it up sometimes when you can't get it cheaper but be happy it is next day (generally).

Had the same problem from my local autoparts store. They wouldn't match pricing anywhere close to what I could find and worse yet, they didn't accept any returns. I told the owner I want to buy from him and asked if we could work something out and he gave me the cold shoulder.

Now I buy all online or autozone for generic stuff. Sad to say I gave up on the local mam and pop store.

I have no local Toyota dealership so i would have to drive out of my way for the butthurt i also worked at a car audio shop we sold radios alarms keyless entry speakers all kinds of aftermarket stuff to them and installed them for a very low price then they would turn around and jack tge price up around 4 times the amount that we charged dealerships are a racket and not very trust worthy. Toyotapartsdeal for the win for me....

Almost every local Toyota dealer rapes their customers on parts prices. Has been that way since Toyota was founded. Once you mention "online" the parts guy will usually back away a bit from his desk, give you a dirty look, and pretty much blackball you from his buddy buddy list. They know that anyone buying parts at their dealership is either desperate or a fool, so they don't care.
And to add to the butt hurt, no local dealership stocks any old land cruiser parts. Nothing. So they have to order it from the warehouse anyway and you've got to come back another day to get the full rape experience to pick up the parts.
Most stores are on matrix pricing, so it bumps their profit up a bit in that regard. It’s hard/damn near impossible to find a brick and mortar store that will charge MSRP for parts.

Nostradamus

SILVER Star
I have a local Indie shop I sometimes take my 2005 4Runner to for repairs I don't have time for (since I dedicate my wrenching time to my FJ60), and he uses only OEM toyo parts or won't offer a warranty on the work. He does phenomenal work and stands by what they do. That's a philosophy I can appreciate, however, he gets the parts from the local stealership and passes the butthurt thru to us customers. So, I asked him if he'd be cool with me bringing in OEM stuff I procured online and he said sure, but won't offer his standard warranty since he didn't procure the parts. Fine by me - I have faith in the OEM parts and it's his staff's expertise and time I'm willing to pay for to do the work.

I do most of my own work on the 4Runner, but swapping out the integrated exhaust manifold/catalytic converter was looking to me a major PITA, so I let him do it. I have the v8 engine which makes things super tight. Would rather spend the weekend working on the 1HZ I have in the garage for my FJ60 than wrestling with the 4Runner. :hillbilly:

I've asked my local stealership if they offer any sort of discount or would match online, only to be scoffed at. The exh manifiold/cat was $1400 at the dealer and the online one was roughly half that IIRC. I get that they're running a business and folks like us aren't really their core customer base for parts since we do our own work and drive old rigs. Not surprising that they've built their business model to cater to newer vehicles and the local repair shops who just pass the costs thru to their customers.

And that's why I can't buy local even if I want to. I'll give my local business a little extra money, but typically what they charge is just shy of robbery. Want to buy local, but buy most parts online.

Over the years I have worked with some dealerships that gave deep discounts, but I haven't found one lately.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor

There are Land Cruiser friendly dealerships like Cabe Toyota in Long Beach and Camelback Toyota in Phoenix.
The Camelback parts shop manager, Eric, is a cruiserhead and involved with the local Cruiser club. Old Land Cruiser
owners probably don't make up a significant chunk of sale so we don't have a same priority as Camry, 4runner tacoma
or Celica customers.

I had good luck at the dealer in Fort Collins Colorado when I dropped in on them. They got me a thermostat and gas cap by the next days and prices seemed normal.

I tried my local dealer for some parts when I got home and asked about parts. They said they would get back to me and they never did. So I took that as a sign that they didn’t want my business and I never called them again.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
My old local dealer in Wyoming always matched or beat online prices for me. Here is Redding the dealer is about 4-6% higher than online.

Just depends on the parts manager and the relationship you have with them in my experiences.

Shes Mad

SILVER Star
I use my local dealer all the time. They are very helpful and willing to work with me on pricing.
Now that most websites charge sales tax, it negates most savings. No freight at the dealer either

The parts department employees get paid based on commissions from parts proffitts. They aren't paid hourly. Thus why many dont like to give discounts-its cutting into their paycheck.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
The parts department employees get paid based on commissions from parts proffitts. They aren't paid hourly. Thus why many dont like to give discounts-its cutting into their paycheck.
Interesting, my guy in Wyoming was on salary. I guess it may depend on the dealership or chain or dealerships.

J

mr jits

SILVER Star
any time I need cruiser parts I at least give Broadway Toyota (Portland Oregon) a call - my impulsiveness and poor planning often means I want the parts right now....so that I might be able to do a cruiser project on a saturday...so I'm willing to pay a little more to get it local same day or even next day.

every time I call Broadway Toyota they are 2, 3, 4x higher than anything close.

bought new horn pin, and the brass connector ring from toyotapartsdeal.com
View attachment 1954027
Broadway wanted $24.00 for the contact ring - and $15.00 for the pin.

2 weeks ago I needed to rebuild or replace my starter motor - Broadway wanted $290.00 for reman, I found it for $160.00 online. Granted - I would have had to figure out core charge + shipping - but that would not have been $130.00.

I even called Broadway back on the phone and said "look - i want to buy local - but help me justify why you're more than $100.00 from the nearest competitor". the dude had no good explanation "i dont set the prices"

I chose the rebuild option and bought the parts to rebuild it - for all of $60.00

I give up...I can't call Broadway and be disappointed any more.
Have you tried Wilsonville Toyota? They offer a TLCA discount, and have been within ten dollars of what I've paid for parts to some of our great vendors here on mud.
In a pinch, they're my go to.

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
SILVER Star

Same here with local Toyota dealer in Paris TX, I sat down and showed the service director the cost I can get parts for but explained I wanted them to do the work. He said well I’ll sell it for that, he matched the online price and did the work.

Win, win!

Think sometimes little discussion with management shows them your willing to spend money but also want to save your own.

Top Bottom