A look inside a 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Granite Grinder

IH8RUST
Threads
I pulled the head off the old 2H today to see what failed. #3 cylinder has a ring score line on it, #4 has a bit of an indentation it as well, certainly enough to loose compression and oil. What's surprising is the blocked water jacket hole in the head, of course, this is head gasket material blocking it, there isn't a water jacket hole in the block that mates up to it.
GG
00.jpg
01.jpg
02.jpg

Phil, I'm glad you did a forensic on the 2H... I was itching to find out what the actual cause of failure was. Any opinion from you or other CC'rs on these items?

Why would there be a water jacket hole in the head without a corresponding hole in the block?

I'm assuming a ring score mark on a cylinder wall indicates a broken ring?

Is there any relation to the broken ring or any other damage you can see that might be connected to running max egt's on a diesel without piston skirt oil cooling?

Cheers, Al (O-Vera)

Hi Al,
The ring failure might have been speeded up by the turbo, but I doubt it. I think ring failure is not uncommon on 2H's. The rebuild kit uses upgraded rings, so that should tell you something. I would venture to say that a fresh rebuild and a moderately tuned turbo should yield at least half a million kilometers. My friend Shane just rebuilt his 2H (non turbo) due to ring failure and his looked worse than this one. I think he had around 450,000K on the odo. The donour motor I've got right now also has quite a bit of blow-by due to ring failure, I think it has around 370,000K on it. Again, it's all about temps, keep them within reason and all is well. I killed a SBC due to heat, and that's not easy either.
Kim has higher K motors that he has absolutely abused and there still running, not sure how much blow-by he's got coming from the tail pipe though.
GG

I killed a SBC due to heat, and that's not easy either.
GG

Slightly sidetracking, but eons ago when I was rebuilding the 350 in my 40, I had installed a 327 so I could still run around. I can't remember the exact events leading up to this, but I recall one evening all the caked on grease, oil, spooge, and other things on the side of the block were literally bubbling. I let the motor cool down and carried on, even somehow managed to keep that block in for awhile until we get the rebuild back in.

Ahhh......the crazy things us kids did.

Hi Al,
Kim has higher K motors that he has absolutely abused and there still running, not sure how much blow-by he's got coming from the tail pipe though.
GG

What are you talking about? :)

That particular 2H is still strong, no blow by that I am aware of. It doesn't use much oil, perhaps a litre between changes.

Hi Al,
The ring failure might have been speeded up by the turbo, but I doubt it. I think ring failure is not uncommon on 2H's. The rebuild kit uses upgraded rings, so that should tell you something. I would venture to say that a fresh rebuild and a moderately tuned turbo should yield at least half a million kilometers.
GG

Inherent ring failure in 2H's? That's kind of an unromantic answer for a motor that's been run at 1250 deg F egt's (measured before the turbo) for so many years. I was expecting something more dramatic... something melted (-:

I must say that although the Ford suits my needs well for the time being (boat on top of an old hippy camper), there is 1 area in which compared to my old 60 it cannot compete... the lovely sound that motor and turbo made was an incredibly nice companion to travel with while exploring the backroads and looking for lakes and little fished rivers. Silky smooth. Oh... the AC didn't hurt either. :)

I must say that although the Ford suits my needs well for the time being (boat on top of an old hippy camper), there is 1 area in which compared to my old 60 it cannot compete...

4 wheel drifts? :grinpimp:

So what were you doing to cook the head gasket?

I believe that's part about 1250º, the pistons didn't melt (nor should they at that temp) but the head gasket took a beating, not to mention the broken ring. That's why the 12-ht has piston cooling. I believe Toyota upgraded the head gaskets as well.
GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom