A LONG story about Landcruisers, Meth and Self Worth. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So some of you know I am trying to get together a manual transmission for my 88FJ62 because the A440F is rapidly failing.
Last weekend I secured a deal on a low mileage H42. The truck was actually in my neighborhood. I remembered seeing it several years ago but not since. An old guy drove it pretty regularly used to wave to him.
Well last weekend I walked a couple of streets down and knocked on his door. His wife answered and in short the old fellow passed a couple of years ago. They still had the truck though and it was in the garage in the back yard! She led me out there and let me see it. It was partially demolished from a rollover crash. I made a fair offer for the transmission and she was more than happy to sell it to me, said I could work on it right in the garage. I gave her $200 to hold on to until I removed the transmission. She acted like I handed her a million.
Yesterday s/w the famous Georg at Cruiser Brothers. Awesome guy, took time out of his busy day to answer product questions and offered up sage advice. Told me exactly what to get from the wrecked Cruiser and what he might need.
So I head back over there early yesterday afternoon with tools and the lady lets me into the back yard. She was thrilled to know I would be paying her for more parts too.
About the time I get the 2nd drive shaft off some one starts yelling at me. I stand up and come face to face to face with who turns out to be her son. He is in a spitting, sweating, bad-breath rage. The old lady is standing on the back porch with her hands over her mouth looking pitifully shocked. So after pushing me around the truck and heavy breathing and sweating all over the place it appears that the parts are not for sale as he is going to use them and that I am trespassing and can get the hell off his property or get my ass kicked. I ask for my money back and he explodes at this mother then disappears into the house still raging.
She comes over to me quickly and tells me how sorry she is and that he has not ever been able to "keep hisself out of trouble and that her husband warned her before he died, "not to let him come around." She then looked at me with tears in her eyes and said but I just can't turn him out."
That meth-head then returned without my money but with a wooden rolling pin, I kid you not, before I could get everything packed up and back to the car. How long has it been since you have seen a rolling pin?
To shorten it up a bit. I had to get the cops (my favorite people on earth) involved to get my money and the rest of my tools back. As it turns out there was also an old FJ40 dismantled in the garage. The son in a meth stupor crashed the FJ62 not far from the house just after his old man died. Seems the front right wheel came off and he rolled into a ditch. He has moved back in with mom because I guess employment does not appeal to him.
I couldn't believe it, the cop knew exactly who he was said he has a rap sheet but it was all stupid things like public intoxication, public indecency, driving without licence, tags, etc. A real winner.
So now I get to call Georg today and tell him the deal is sour. Worse I am back to square 1 with the transmission set up.
A word about self worth. I am not a particularly handsome guy, not that smart, own a small home, don't drive fancy cars at all, never made much money. I am married to a nice girl who I love dearly and who "gets," me. I have never had much in the way of self worth. I have just always felt I could do better and I have always tried.
After dealing with that mess I feel much better about myself, much better.

@Saucerman great post.

This guy sound like a real winner. Sometimes I wonder about people and where society is going. I’m sure that back in the day...say back in the 1870’s for example, they had their losers also, but it sure seems like it’s more prevalent now.

Anyway, sorry about you not getting the parts you need...keep at it & good luck.

delete my post, not relevant to land cruisers

I’m sure that back in the day...say back in the 1870’s for example, they had their losers also, but it sure seems like it’s more prevalent now.
Buddy, you are probably right. Of course then you could just pull out the 6 shooter and free society of it's burden.
Can you imagine mooching off of your elderly parents when you are in what appeared to be late 40's...Meth of course does age people. I mean I'm 51 and I look like a teenager compared to this guy.

What parts ere you needing ??
Oh you know...EVERYTHING for an Auto to Manual trans swap. I should have worked faster!

Sounds like you ought to think more of yourself. A woman who loves you, a purpose for moving forward, a God who thinks enough of you to sacrifice his son.
Keep in touch with the dear old lady, I’d bet the title is still in her name and when the deadbeat son is finally gone it’ll be your turn, slim chance he’ll ever do anything with those rigs that he thinks are “his.”

Oh shucks, I thought it was gonna be you who was the meth head. Sauce.... as in chemistry... as in Walter White. Darn.
And I am a chick who actually uses a wooden rolling pin. Just did a few days ago. It was my great grandmothers.
I go back to reading...
And your taken. Damn, there goes yet another good, honest, hard working, funny guy.
All your posts have always shown that to me but yeah I get what your saying...
I park my med cart in the middle of the hall atvwork so I don’t have to roll it on the rug. Wicked pita. Today I have a 74yo woman behind me dropping more sweats that I’ve heard in a long time. Sexual references too! I’m dying and teasing her. But it makes me realize how bad I must sound now because I’m the same way. I need to curb that ****ing s***. Always good to get an awakening.

Last edited:
Sounds like you ought to think more of yourself. A woman who loves you, a purpose for moving forward, a God who thinks enough of you to sacrifice his son.

Amen to this! All you're dealing with is 'car problems'

....And keep track of the neighbors and the property, and one day, the tide may turn and you may end up with all the trucks and junk in the garage. I just bought an original-owner '82 Toyota 4x4 pickup that I have known of since 1994. And 5 years ago, my FJ62 came from 'up the street' from people who just failed to turn it in under Cash for Clunkers and the truck was lying dormant on their property. (I realize your 'transmission need' is a lot sooner than this, but maybe this neighbor's junk will a project for you a few years from now).

Nothing makes you feel alive like being threatened by an unstable drug user wielding a rolling pin, does it? Gets that ole fight or flight sense fired right up!

Glad you're OK, sorry about the deal, though.

I have a H42 (?) from an '85 that needs a second gear synchro, top plate and shifter in Louisville, KY. Not sure how far "deep South" is but you're welcome to it for free if you start piecing things together. Unfortunately that's the only thing I have.

@SteveH nailed it on keeping an eye on the place. You never know what will happen.

Sorry you had to deal with all that #$%^t from the loser meth head. I can't say that I would have your patience with that situation. Stupid people like that tend to have very short lives due to one thing or another. He will pull the old rolling pin out on the wrong person one day and done deal. I feel the worst for the old lady, she has to put up with it on a daily basis. No telling how much he has stolen from her to support his habits.

Like the others said, be patient and that old cruiser will be up for grabs sooner than later. Stay vigilant!
Other than that, sounds like your living the good life.

Good luck, I hope your story keeps going (W/O the Meth part....)

Man that’s a wild story, glad you got out of it alright. Not sure where you’re at but I’m in the austin, tx area and have a h42/with shifter that seemed to be working fine when I took it out last month for a 5speed upgrade, its yours if you want it, it’s out of an 87 and has about 250k on it

Hell of a story!
@Saucerman Your Location is "DeepSouth" Where might that be.
I have a 4 Spd out of an 83 FJ60 I'll let you have it for cheap if you need it.
:beer:

I followed a transfer build thread that had a spread-sheet. It was Paul Dinapoli. I have to look at that and get my list together. It was going to be much easier getting it all in one fail swoop, but oh well. You don't get to smell breath like that every day.
I do know I need a late model 60 4 speed. The later the better according to Georg because I plan on rebuilding my transfer case.
Anyone ever have any luck with cruiserparts.net? They claim to have a "kit," but I have been calling them for a couple of hours with no answer.

Looks like a few trannys here already
Man you have to be careful these days saying that kind of thing. Buddy even though you are in Canada I believe you would send me something from your stash of parts. Can't let you do that though. Shipping is murder these days. Thanks for the kind thought though.

lol, yeah my bad English, We speak French mostly.. No worries, let me know if your stuck with something anyways, a few people from Boston have cottages for snowmobiling around here, could figure something out. I am just across the river from Maine.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom