A little radiator blow out captured on Ring cam. FZJ80 plastic radiators.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have read unfavorable posts about the Bosal muffler. I went with the Walker factory replacement muffler. It fits perfectly. I run no resonator and the Walker is slightly more throaty sounding but still very quiet. It’s got some considerable dents from downed trees I’ve winched across and it’s holding up well.
I tried to find a Walker muffler for the FZJ80 but could not. RockAuto stopped carrying them and Walker site doesn't list Land Cruisers as supported. Hopefully the Bosal won't rust too fast in TX.

I tried to find a Walker muffler for the FZJ80 but could not. RockAuto stopped carrying them and Walker site doesn't list Land Cruisers as supported. Hopefully the Bosal won't rust too fast in TX.
Someone on here bought a Walker not to long ago. I got mine from Summit but that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Late to the party, but that video is definitely the coolest thing I've seen all week! :hillbilly:

Although it sounds like wheels chocked, parking brake on, transmission in D, you're probably lucky this isn't a video of the truck driving through your house!

The Bosal came in and now I'm regretting getting it even before putting it up on the cruiser. One of the arms holding up the muffler broke off during shipment, so now I'm worried how the replacement muffler is going to hold up if it gets a knock during the next Lone Star Round Up? Don't want to lose it on the trail. The OEM one had a beefy arm.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 4.35.07 PM.png

Reference the following thread for exhaust info and part numbers.

The hanger arm on my Bosal broke off within 30 days after installing it, but I fully expected it, as it was sketchy when I installed it. I pulled into one of our fab shops in the evening, burned a little wire on it and it's been good to go.

It is only very slightly louder than the factory exhaust on my truck. I am happy with mine. I coated mine with 3 coats of high temp clear (1000°F) to help seal it for the Kansas winters.

Overall, I was very happy with fitment.

I'm thinking that when the new one arrives, I'll weld an extra rod to hold up the arm. Your anecdote tells me it won't last long on the replacement either.

I'd be worried that your head gasket is leaking exhaust into the cooling system which will pressurize it and cause this.

A plastic radiator should not explode like that without cause.

I'd be worried that your head gasket is leaking exhaust into the cooling system which will pressurize it and cause this.

I witnessed a ford radiator do it in the late 70s as a 17 year old working at a gas station. A woman came in with a newer lincoln overheating BAD. Opened hood and told her to shut it off. It kept running on dieseling with steam blowing but I think the cap couldn't relieve enough volume. Wasn't about to touch it. About the time I was telling her to put it in gear It Blew one tank almost completely off. I was in front of the car it was a big cloud of steam. Slightly burned the back of one arm.

Only that wasn't red coolant, that was atf-Which makes sense with what he was doing at the time (look at the first post for the cause). But your point is well taken.

Only that wasn't red coolant, that was atf-Which makes sense with what he was doing at the time (look at the first post for the cause). But your point is well taken.
Super hot ATF may have boiled the coolant turning it to steam which expands 1700 times as water turns from liquid to vapor.

My 62 was parked in the garage right in front of the 80. I'm thinking the 80 needs to think about baseball more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom