1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little light please

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cruiserwanted, Feb 17, 2004.

1. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

Image you are getting a pretty solid cruiser delivered to you on Saturday. It has been sitting for 10 years and the owner was going to use it as a parts cruiser. When you questioned weather it ran or not the owner stated before it was parked it did but has not ran it since. Engine compartment looks to be all there minus the battery. Key is in the ingnition. No instumental cluster, steering wheel, 3 speed column or turn signal colum.

What are some beginning diagnostics you would do. Obviously first get a battery and put in. I do not know if the engine is frozen or not. That is the first thing I would like to figure out, any quick ways to tell? Should I just have it towed to the shop and get a diagnostic test run or should I pop in a battery, try and start, drain all the fluids, try and start, give tune-up try and start, have starter tested try and start, ect ect ect.

This is the first time I have purchased a vehicle that has sat for 10 years so do not know where to begin. Any help/comments would be appricated. Thanks in advance.

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

if the cluster is out, you will need to connect the wires that went to the amp meter I think......

I would start by changing the oil and gas and drain and fill the rad(don't bother with anti freeze yet), forget about the rest of the fluids untill you find out if it starts. Tune it up, its prolly points so chenge them for sure, might need to pour a little gas in the carb, change the plugs, prolly leave the wires alone for now.''

so it has no trany shifter at all? thats gonna make it fun ;)

others will have more(prolly better) idea's

3. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

Yeah learned the hard way about the amp meter wires. Thanks for the info pimp.

It has the shifter colum but it is cut right below the arm. When I purchased the one I currently have from this owner I drove it about 10 miles before the screw came unscrewed from the plate that holds the column shifter in place. Posted a thread on this back in November. :) Thought it was probably stripped out so convinced the owner to give me the plate off the parts cruiser. After messing with it for 20-30 minutes in about -5 degree weather got out the saw and cut the columns. regretting it now but then again should be able to find replacements when needed.

4. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe a little Marvel's mystery oil in the cylinders and wait a little bit before turning it over.

5. 16-in-Dec

16-in-Dec

I just started one that had been setting 30 years. Changed all fluids and Waterpump (rusted and stuck) marvel in the cylinders, blew out gass lines and emptied gas tank. It took about 20 min and changing out one set of fouled plugs. Runs fine compression between 127 and 135. I feel real lucky.

6. HI^C

HI^C

do not do anything till you check fluids, I would suggest not changing oil till after you got it at least turning over, unless its ungodly dirty, water, etc... Whatever you end up putting in the cylinders will end up in the oil anyway.

ATF let it sit for at least a week adding a bit ever other day, to the cylinders. I also highly suggest turning it over by hand first before using the starter, (broke teeth off a flywheel before, biggest pain in the ass.) You can do this and make it easier on yourself with no sparkplugs in. :)

pour new gas in the carb and let it soak while atf in the cylinders. I have good luck useing a mower gas can and gravity to start them, btw if the mech pump is hooked up to the stock gas can it pump old crap out when you finally do get it started and running.

Just for SH*Ts it is recommended that any engine none running or with no oil circulation in 3 yrs, be completely torn down and rebuilt. Not sure where i picked that up but more people have told me that all the time.

7. HI^C

HI^C

Check the points make sure they are clean! just did this part about 4 months ago, damn dirty points

8. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

Thanks for the information. How do you turn an engine over by hand? I have never done this. Anyone willing to tell me step by step. Want to learn. Thanks.

9. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

10. labartonmd

labartonmd

I strongly second the notion of turning it by hand first. Marvel, WD40 both work; hadn't heard of the ATF; I'll need to try it some time. Give the marvel/wd40/? concoction several days to soak in. Don't put a lot in! it works better to have a little bit repeated over several days.
    To turn the motor over, remove the plugs to release pressure, double check to make sure you are not trying to turn it backwards. (don't ask :-[) Get the correct size 1/2" drive socket and drive. Do not use a torque wrench. slip a heavy wall 6' long steel tube over your drive handle and use your body weight and leverage to break it free. I have broken a few ratchets doing this, so locate the Craftsman/ MAC/ Snap-on so you can replace it when you're finished.
    Once it is turning, replace the plugs you just cleaned and fire 'er up eventually. I prefer NOT to put gas in the carb initially; I'd rather have the thing crank on the starter in 20 second bursts a few times to pump oil up to top of the motor before the gas gets there.