a little advice regarding towing with 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone know what a reasonable towing capacity for a 97 80 is? i have a 5800 lb boat that i occasionally like to pull out of the water to clean etc.... my current 80 has 116k and pretty much stock everything. i do have a frame mounted trail boss hitch. would upgraded rotors, ome suspension really make a huge improvement in towing capacities? so far the truck has been flawless, and i haven't any maintenance except for oil, filters, brakes and tire rotations. are there any specific mechanical issues that i should be addressing? mostly daily driving with occasional mud and beach cruising.
thanks

Well, the search button will reveal a wealth of info on this, but in short, you will have no problems towing the boat, you may have problems stoppping, and your insurance will screw you if you wreck.
That is all.
Dan

Something that heavy will need brakes on the trailer if driven on the road in traffic. If you are just pulling it out to clean it and not going anywhere in traffic, I would go ahead.
Sean

Yota and lawyers in the US would say that the limit for a Cruiser is 5000lbs. ROW is 7500lbs.

Your stock suspension may sag with that weight unless your trailer is well balanced and your tongue weight isn't bad.

Heavy duty OME springs or Airlift airbags in the rear (I have the later) will level the load. A trailer that heavy should already have it's own brakes, so no need to upgrade the cruiser.

Open up your center diff and throw her in 4 low if your just pulling it around here and there on the dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom