1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a lil idea

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by lowtideride, Feb 22, 2004.

1. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    from what i heard 60s are pretty easy to break into.. that and my bro broke into it using a slim jim..and hes a dumbass. so it thought if you could wire a switch or buttom ( under the seat maybe) that you would have to push or flip when you go to start it up with the key..so no one could start you rig with out the key or knowing that there is a kill switch turning the ignition off ;) sounds like a hot idea to me...anyone done it?
    -al

2. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

So you are putting a kill switch in your cruiser huh, where do you live again ;)

3. Eternal

Eternal

I tend to leave my keys in the ignition. If I don't I can never find the damn things. I also leave the doors unlocked(good idea when the keys are in it) cause I have a tape player with a few 80's new wave tapes on the floor and that seems to deter would be theives. Maybe a tazer under the dash would be good too. I did build a little device with some micro switches and a smoke alarm. Cost me $15. Just added the micro switches to the doors jams and ran wire to the test button leads on the smoke alarm. It has it's own power source and you can run as many switches as you want and put them anywhere i.e. hood, glove box, tool box etc.Most smoke alarm test switches give you a couple seconds before they go off giving you a chance to disarm (just a toggle inline)and not having that peirceing piezo screetching at 6am making all the neighbors love you. Hey if you think of a good idea with a tazer tell me cause I can get cattle prods pretty cheap and maybe I would move up to a cd player so that I could use 'em. Later

4. Herky

Herky

Eternal, thats's an a great idea. I've been thinking about doing something like that. I wanted to rig my fire extinguisher and a roll bar mounted flashlight and what not to sound an alarm when moved if so desired. Do you have any more details? Where did you get the micro switches?

5. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    i live in south florida... my buddy got his car stolen out of parking lot we work at..

6. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I use the under dash "off" switch for my ignition but just yesterday thought I would replace it with a "double throw" switch ...

position 1 connects +12 to the ignition
    position 2 turns everything off
    position 3 connects +12 to the horn

Turn key or hot wire and theif gets the horn.

7. theo

theo

You could also put a battery disconnect in.

Had a friend in New Zealand who put an electric fencer in his Landie. He had a bare wire hanging underneath. When he parked he just dropped that wire on the ground and walked away, leaving the body and frame "live"!

8. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

On the last rig I ran a switch before the relay for the starter. Flip the switch and you couldn't even hot wire the rig.

9. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

For those with electronic fuel pumps, a fuel pump cutoff is a good idea. Flip it off, the theif will get about 5 minutes down the road on the gas in the bowl, he'll ditch it thinking its broken down and then the police (or you) find it later that day in town.

10. Landpimp

Landpimp

I have kill switchs in all my Cruisers, just hook up one wire to the neg post on the coil, run it to the kill switch(PM me for a great place to mount it) Run another wire(from other post on switch) to a ground. So now when fliped it will ground out the coil and not start. Use black wire and run it along the stock wiring. You can also cut into the pos on the coil but then you are running 12volt back into the cab....and there is no need to.

11. Herky

Herky

These are great ideas. I've heard of the kill switch to the coil and I plan on trying that one. Any more info on the micro switches to the individual components?

12. sherwood

sherwood

Hey... just thought of another one.........

How 'bout running a N/C switch to the Idle Solenoid (on those that are equipped with this wonderful device) ::)

I'm thinking that device has frustrated hundreds of LC owners in the past. How many car thieves would be able to deal with it ? :D

John Sherwood
    Charlotte, NC
    '79 FJ-40 TLCA Upstate Cruisers

13. pvaman

pvaman

So Landpimp...just so i make sure i understand. when the switch is open, the ground to the coil is floating (disconnected)?

14. Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

I installed a kill switch for the fuel pump on my 4runner, you can't even get the vehicle started with it in the off position.

15. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Then your runner is fuel injected right?
    Not a good idea to try to run an EFI engine with no fuel to the injectors. Bad for them.
    But, I guess a runner with bad injectors is better than no runner?

16. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=pvaman link=board=1;threadid=11930;start=msg109819#msg109819 date=1077670833]
    So Landpimp...just so i make sure i understand. when the switch is open, the ground to the coil is floating (disconnected)?
    [/quote]
    Thats my understanding...

17. Landpimp

Landpimp

yep, it just ground out the coil.

[quote author=pvaman link=board=1;threadid=11930;start=msg109819#msg109819 date=1077670833]
    [/quote]

18. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

Man, there are so many options. I like the horn idea. You can also use a bull horn since you have so much room in the engine bay. An amplified voice saying you are about to get the s--t shocked out of you would be cool too.

19. sherwood

sherwood

a lil idea.... maybe a lil' hairbrained !

Being an old electronics junkie.....
    'How 'bout a row of four or more toggle switches..... think combination lock, of sorts.

Picture this: you have to put four switches in the proper combination... say... up - down - down - up... in order to get voltage to the coil, pump, or whatever when the ignition key is turned (or jimmied by thief).

Any switch placed in the wrong up/down sequence will blow the horn, sirene, bull horn, etc. when the switch is turned on. IOW, without positioning the switches correctly, the horn will blow instantly as the switch is turned on/jimmied.

IOW... you PUT them in the proper position and THEN turn the key. When you park it, you turn the key OFF and THEN throw all the switches to the up or down or random position.

Pretty simple with four double-pole-double-throw switches. Buying "center-off" DPDT switches would only confuse them more.

I can draw it out if anyone likes this silly lock.

HINT for those that wanna' try to draw it out: Both operating (center) contacts of the first DPDT switch in the chain are tied to IGN+ from the ignition switch. The subsequent Horn segments (halves of the DPDT) are paralleled and the (opposite throw) IGN segments are series.

Combinations can be changed easily if you don't solder, but instead, use good terminal connectors. The more switches - the more difficult to steal..... and, of course, more difficult to operate and more failure-prone..... IOW... don't use cheapo switches.

John Sherwood '79 FJ-40
    Charlotte, NC TLCA Upstate Cruisers

20. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    that sounds like a sweet idea ,plus it would be like getting ready to take off on your own air plane