A "I Shouldn't Have" Resto of a 73 FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I apologize in advance if this goes dark. I'm not the best at keeping up with things. Quick history - I picked up this FJ in VT about 8 years ago. It sat outside the past 8 years, and probably its entire life until I moved it into the garage this past fall. It's a Dec '73 FJ. Originally could have been from Canada, because I don't see any frame ID where it should be. It was a runner 8 years ago, but needed brakes and had no electrical. I started to install a "painless" wiring harness - then life happened. I'm back at it now.

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

Motor was seized, but a little mystery oil freed it up. Chased a "no spark" issue until I installed the petronix kit. Key was to match the right petronix to the specific distributor. My dissy didn't have any numbers, but clues found on this website led me kit # Pertronix 1665A Ignitor Ignition Denso 6Cyl 19100-60062 60065 Landcrusier Dist. For what I believe to be the original distributor.

Side Note - a tiny mounting screw fell down into the distributor - Never to be seen again...

Got it running and pulled the valve cover to confirm oil flow. One rocker was a little rusty, but others looked good.

IMG_1744.JPG

That would be a 74 model. Heater and tail lights backed that up. If the stamp on the frame is missing has nothing to do with being from another country. The stamp on the frame was done at the factory and only replacement frames did not have a stamped VIN.

The frame on my '73 was just as bad if not worse and it spent its entire life here in Nebraska. Located a really nice '79 frame along with the entire drive train with only 53000 miles just 50 miles away. Other than body mounts which I had to swap, it was pretty much plug and play. I am to the point of putting it back together now. If it ever warms up. Garage is pretty much as hot or cold as the outside temp.

:confused::confused::confused:

That would be a 74 model. Heater and tail lights backed that up. If the stamp on the frame is missing has nothing to do with being from another country. The stamp on the frame was done at the factory and only replacement frames did not have a stamped VIN.

The picture of the rockers also shows the oil filter on right side - that would support a '74 with a F 1.5

Yes. It's a Dec '73 which basically puts it at a 74. I've learned they call the motor a 1.5f. Oiling of a 2f without additional displacement.

And yes, the chain is tack welded. Ugh.

Pulled most of the appurtenances of the fire wall. Had one issue with the brake booster - Boing - But that could use a cleaning anyway. Pin connecting the clutch pedal to slave cylinder is completely frozen in place. May have to leave the slave cylinder on. For the frame, I'm undecided on rust bullet and Summit Racing Chassis Shield Paint. I like the idea Summits 2-part paint. Stuff with a reaction seems a bit better. does anyone have any experience with it?

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

Ok. I've been making some random progress. Took delivery of the new frame and began to hit it with the wire wheel. I'm going with the eastwood line of rust encapsulation for frame paint. Also have the other one broken down.

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom