A hello from me and a busted 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I am a complete newbie from
Memphis, TN, who has the opportunity to be an owner of a 100 that’s currently sitting curbside with an apparently garbage engine. My folks bought it and after a series of trials and tribulations no longer have the patience or money for it. I would like to build it up for mild overlanding so my now 19 month old daughter can grow up seeing and learning the kind of things I did.

The truck has a bit over 120k miles. It’s in amazing cosmetic and mechanical condition except for said busted motor. When bought, it came with extensive maintenance records and seemed a perfect buy. And when the front diff went out Toyota even replaced it free of charge.

Shortly after the diff repair, the top enstarted making excessive noise which prompted another trip to the dealer. The first diagnosis was that the noise was harmless. Just “lifter noise” from an older motor. The second, which followed removal of the heads, was again that everything was fine. The day after the truck was returned from the dealer, I started it up and the engine immediately began shaking violently and every warning light lit up. The diagnosis is now that the heads are toast. Possibly the entire engine. And the cure is estimated to cost $6k.

My folks have moved on and bought something more suitable for their needs. The 100 is mine if I pay for the needed repairs. I’ve been told that the entire engine is likely toast. So, I’ve been looking at used ones to replace it. In the meantime I’ve been reading up and trying to learn as much as I can hands off.

If the cost of a new engine is worth it, it’s a otherwise a great truck that could be perfect for my family and our future expeditions. Any and all advice are more than welcome.

Low mileage on the rest of the truck, and if rust is minimal, then it’s definitely worth fixing. What year is it?

I suggest finding a quality Cruiser shop to get to the bottom of the engine issues before doing anything else. We’ve seen plenty of reports on here of Toyota dealership techs claiming engines or transmissions are blown when in reality they weren’t... The 2uz does not have hydraulic lifters but instead has overhead cams riding directly on bucket over valves. So “lifter noise” seems an unlikely explanation from your first trip to the dealer, particularly at just 120k miles.

Low mileage on the rest of the truck, and if rust is minimal, then it’s definitely worth fixing. What year is it?

I suggest finding a quality Cruiser shop to get to the bottom of the engine issues before doing anything else. We’ve seen plenty of reports on here of Toyota dealership techs claiming engines or transmissions are blown when in reality they weren’t... The 2uz does not have hydraulic lifters but instead has overhead cams riding directly on bucket over valves. So “lifter noise” seems an unlikely explanation from your first trip to the dealer, particularly at just 120k miles.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a 2003. No rust. Nothing else wrong anywhere, and it’s been gone over more than a couple of times. I can do a few things but am no mechanic and even I knew the “lifter noise” thing was bogus. I had it towed to another shop that has a lot of experience with these engines and they said it was done for. I keep thinking that the techs at the dealership mucked it up but not worth making an issue of a hunch.

I guess I’m okay with buying a rebuilt motor. Not sure how much that’ll cost but given the overall condition of the truck I think I’ll still come out on top.

120k is barely broken in. For the price of a used engine & install (worst case), take it and run.

Having said that, it seems like the shop you were using was either inept, dishonest or both. Glad you found a new one.

Wonder if it had a timing belt failure? Probably worth fixing up if it's only for the cost of the motor and labor.

120k is barely broken in. For the price of a used engine & install (worst case), take it and run.

Having said that, it seems like the shop you were using was either inept, dishonest or both. Glad you found a new one.

My thoughts as well. Thanks!

Wonder if it had a timing belt failure? Probably worth fixing up if it's only for the cost of the motor and labor.

That may be what happened. The more knowledgeable shop I took it to suggested that the timing belt had been re-installed incorrectly following second trip to the dealer.

I guess the issue comes down to where to buy to the replacement motor. I’m sure I can look thru the forums and find a decent source.

I guess I’m okay with buying a rebuilt motor.
No need to get rebuilt engine. There are plenty of good used 2uzs with 100k miles sitting around for under $2k. IIRC, a guy in central KY has/had like 8 of them, all with low miles, and already sitting on pallets ready to go. Not sure if they were vvti or not tho.

Hello all. I am a complete newbie from
Memphis, TN, who has the opportunity to be an owner of a 100 that’s currently sitting curbside with an apparently garbage engine. My folks bought it and after a series of trials and tribulations no longer have the patience or money for it. I would like to build it up for mild overlanding so my now 19 month old daughter can grow up seeing and learning the kind of things I did.

The truck has a bit over 120k miles. It’s in amazing cosmetic and mechanical condition except for said busted motor. When bought, it came with extensive maintenance records and seemed a perfect buy. And when the front diff went out Toyota even replaced it free of charge.

Shortly after the diff repair, the top enstarted making excessive noise which prompted another trip to the dealer. The first diagnosis was that the noise was harmless. Just “lifter noise” from an older motor. The second, which followed removal of the heads, was again that everything was fine. The day after the truck was returned from the dealer, I started it up and the engine immediately began shaking violently and every warning light lit up. The diagnosis is now that the heads are toast. Possibly the entire engine. And the cure is estimated to cost $6k.

My folks have moved on and bought something more suitable for their needs. The 100 is mine if I pay for the needed repairs. I’ve been told that the entire engine is likely toast. So, I’ve been looking at used ones to replace it. In the meantime I’ve been reading up and trying to learn as much as I can hands off.

If the cost of a new engine is worth it, it’s a otherwise a great truck that could be perfect for my family and our future expeditions. Any and all advice are more than welcome.

do your detective work and find the true source of failure. if in fact it’s the heads this may interest you as a potential option:

I’m with the rest of the crowd with regard to whether or not it’s worth fixing, I would definitely make the investment based on the information provided. 2UZs are generally very durable, I would personally be looking for something used with documented compression numbers that could be resealed and refreshed prior to installation. I’m not sure a fully remanufactured assembly is necessarily worth the premium over a used engine that can be sorted out on a stand on this particular model.
2UZs are good internally for a ton of miles barring catastrophic anomalies, improper repairs, or extremely poor maintenance. I’d be cool with getting a strong used one for 1500-2500 and replacing all of the gaskets (except probably HGs), seals, T-stat, WP, plugs, and timing components, then throwing it in the truck. As others stated, definitely be entirely sure the engine is skunked before you go too far!

No need to get rebuilt engine. There are plenty of good used 2uzs with 100k miles sitting around for under $2k. IIRC, a guy in central KY has/had like 8 of them, all with low miles, and already sitting on pallets ready to go. Not sure if they were vvti or not tho.

That’s very good to hear, thank you. I wasn’t sure whether to go used or rebuilt. Obviously, in the current situation, the more money saved the better. If you remember the name of the shop, I’d be glad to hear it. But, a search on EBay turned up a few for sure.

do your detective work and find the true source of failure. if in fact it’s the heads this may interest you as a potential option:

Thanks for the tip

I’m with the rest of the crowd with regard to whether or not it’s worth fixing, I would definitely make the investment based on the information provided. 2UZs are generally very durable, I would personally be looking for something used with documented compression numbers that could be resealed and refreshed prior to installation. I’m not sure a fully remanufactured assembly is necessarily worth the premium over a used engine that can be sorted out on a stand on this particular model.
2UZs are good internally for a ton of miles barring catastrophic anomalies, improper repairs, or extremely poor maintenance. I’d be cool with getting a strong used one for 1500-2500 and replacing all of the gaskets (except probably HGs), seals, T-stat, WP, plugs, and timing components, then throwing it in the truck. As others stated, definitely be entirely sure the engine is skunked before you go too far!

Thanks for the advice. And I will definitely have the engine looked at more thoroughly before taking the plunge.

Sorry to hear about your engine trouble. I’m in Memphis as well and use Brian Massey Automotive for all my work. He did the timing belt on my 04LC about 5 years ago. Ive also heard good things about Mosley Motors. Good luck.

I just wanna know how you got Toyota to fix the diff. for free.....

Also, not to derail the thread, but do the valves ever need adjustment on the 2UZ? I come from working on bikes and adjusted some shim under bucket style valve clearances before. I did it wrong once and the bike made some HORRIBLE clacking noises and ran very rough until I fixed it (valves were way to loose)

Last edited:
but do the valves ever need adjustment on the 2UZ?
Toyota recommends checking 2uz valves *audibly* every 60k miles. Adjusting them on the 2uz looks like a PITA because you have to pull the cams out to put in new shims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom