A great way to see Yellowstone

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Owyhee Jackass, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

Just got back, 5 days, 4 nights in the back country via a canoe. No people, and lots of big country!

2. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    totally agree its a beautiful place. I would go every year if I could. Wife hates tents so we have to stick to the local hotels. But hey the cabins at mamoth, the room at old faithful inn and the end cabin at Jackson lake lodge were not bad.

You are a lucky man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, Mon.

5. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

Troll,

Take that picture of the geysers, and remove the board walk and people. There is a geyser basin on the the north west shore of Shoshone Lake that you can just meander through, walk right up and look down in the things. It was very cool. Of course, I didn't take any pictures, a friend who is a pro-photo guy took a bunch, we'll see if he shares or not. He was pretty nervous as he hadn't paddled a canoe before this trip (he's a rafter) and he had $12,000 worth of cameras and accessories in the boat.

My wife thinks it would be nice to stay at the Old Faithfull Inn for a night, but after several days in the back country, it's like "panda-f***in-monium" there, esp. this time of year.

Thunderstorms rolled through several times. We were prepared and had rain gear and a tarp for the 'kitchen'. It hailed pretty good one of the days. The clouds made for some awesome lighting.

6. mabrodis

mabrodis

So the entire trip (5 days) you travelled via canoe? Wow that's cool, I was not aware there was a lake that size up there, but it's been probably 20 yrs since I was there..dang that makes me feel old!

Awesome trip though..any details on where you put the canoe in, etc? I would seriously consider that...

:cheers:

7. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Went there for honeymoon 7 yrs ago. Damn pristine place. I loved the Tetons too, Jenny lake is our piece of heaven. Can't wait to go back. I'd love to take our canoe up there and do that man. That's what I call livin. Good on ya.

8. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

We put in on Lewis Lake, paddled across it up the Lewis Channel to Shoshone Lake (largest back country lake in the lower 48) and spent 4 nights hopping from camp to camp. You have to reserve each site, they are limited to 8 people ( we had 4 any more than that and some of them get crowded) and register with the Backcountry office. There is also a back packer trail in-out and around the lake, but, you can't haul 3 cases of beer and food, a table and chairs etc. on your back. Check it out on Google Earth. If you search for Jackson, Wy. then head north on 89, it runs right by Lewis Lake (lakes on the left about an hour north of Jackson)

Dan

9. cruiserman

cruiserman

Dan, You suck. I want to borrow your canoe sometime.

10. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

It's there if you need it. We only take it out a few times a year. I lust loaned it to a 'Micronite' two weeks ago for a multi-day river trip in Oregon.

I've got Sydney in a kayak now, I'm thinking of trying to do something like Deadwood res. with Syd paddling a kayak and just put Sam in a life vest and tow him ;) since he'll be jumping out of the boat (or be thrown) about half way across.

11. cruiserman

cruiserman

We'd like to do some mild kayaking sometime. Let me know if you want to go. We'll probably do the Y class first.

12. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

'Watering the lilly pads on Moose Creek'

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.