A follow up on the FF rear axles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Front and back brakes using Toy calipers and rotors.
Here is what I got so far.
After finishing the front disc brakes ,Thanks to Poser for saving me about $90 cnd when he suggested to go to newer wheel hubs, I took it on the highway for a 40 min drive for the first time.
I had driven it around town few times this past week, but yesterday and today were the first good days, weatherwise ,we had here since last Dec.
So far I didn't use any proportioning valve and I didn't change anything in the BMC, No proplems to report whatsoever . I have never driven any thing with better brakes. The rears didn't lockup at all
and I ried to use the brakes about every 5 min when I was driving , tried to get the rears to lockup , but they didn't. If things stay like this I will be completely satisfied with these brakes
I took the truck to the shop to do some welding in the back of the tub, and to weld the plates to the shackle mounts . I had those plates changed last weekend.
I promised to report to you how things go and this what I am doing now.
for the rest of the month ,I will run this sucker as hard as I can and figure out what is the best way to go about the axle shafts and the axle shaft seals.
So far the seals are holding very good and no leaks so far.
I tried to post pics, but body forgot to bring his d camera, I will do that soon , I know we all like to see pics.
Vic.

These are sf rear axles from fj40 that were modified to ff with discs using the hubs as in the front axles . I posted it back in Feb ,you can do search if you didn't see them before.
Some question about the brakes ,I couldn't answer back then , because I had the discs in the rear and was waiting to get discs in the front. Also I don't drive the truck in the winter . Now that I had the chance to test the brakes I am reporting back to the people that asked about them.
Vic.

Here are pic sof the rear and the front.

Just taken with wibcam.
Vic
reardisc1.jpg
reardisc2.jpg
frontdisc1.jpg

And

another one of the rear.
vic
reardisc3.jpg

Having read your first article on your FF rear set-up, I was thinking OK, pretty cool project. But I kept coming back to the same thought, "aren't we just reinventing the wheel?"

I, like yourself wanted a FF rear axle for some time. For some of the reasons you listed and then some. But I would have to disagree on which assembly, FF or SF, is stronger.

In my opinion the SF axle is a stronger rear both stock and/or modified hands down.........

I no longer participate in rock crawling and severly abusing my 4X4's. Too little time spent having fun, and too much time spent wrenching. It seemed like a weekend of fun usually meant a week or two of down time. Back in the day most of the wrenching was outside, no garage no fun.

Anyway, I wanted the FF because initially I was going to do a 5 speed(H55, another story) and liked the idea of the disc/e-brake set-up of the 70 series. I also liked the idea of running 80 series rear calipers with an 80 series master cylinder for 4 wheel disc without a propotioning valve. And like yourself wanted to apply a Toyota electric/cable locker.

After reading conversion articles, the 75 housing, giving the price and width, plus the ease of using the 80 series calipers with seemed the way to go. Stock 60 and 70 series axles could be purchase from the dealer for the locker application, although you could purchase a custom chromo for probably the same price if not less.

I have done quite a few things to my cruisers that I'm sure other would/will say "why?". But I try hard to not reinvent things that are applicable.

Hats off to your skills and motivation, just a little curious to "why", and still question your idea that FF are stronger than SF. All those two bearing do is increase load bearing. They have no significant value on torque ratings. In fact If I'm not mistaken OEM FF axles drop down to 30mm, where I think SF maintain 32mm? at their smallest diameter. That's without considering the whole locking hub deal, which I thought was an obvious weakness.

Still love the fact that everyone's cruiser is unique in some regards, Just never thought of mine being the best because of --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------blah blah.

. But I would have to disagree on which assembly, FF or SF, is stronger.

In my opinion the SF axle is a stronger rear both stock and/or modified hands down.........

sf is considered to be a stronger setup for torque, full floater is stronger for load. that's why one ton trucks are all full floater. using cruiser axles would make a hell of a full floater torque wise though. dana 60 full floater axles are dinky compared to a stock semi floater. that said, i run hybrid dana 60 full floaters so i can have the advantage flat towing. unlock the hubs and go. if you break on the trail, you don't lose a wheel.

sf is considered to be a stronger setup for torque, full floater is stronger for load. that's why one ton trucks are all full floater. using cruiser axles would make a hell of a full floater torque wise though. dana 60 full floater axles are dinky compared to a stock semi floater. that said, i run hybrid dana 60 full floaters so i can have the advantage flat towing. unlock the hubs and go. if you break on the trail, you don't lose a wheel.

Still, when you look at a SF axle, you might think "wow, 38 mm is a nice axle." But it still drops down to the 33 mm at the splines. Better than the FF though.

The availability of Poly Performance chrome moly axles completely changed my thinking about FF vs Semi-float. When I broke a rear semifloat on the Rubicon, I always thought I would eventually go to the FF. Now that the beefed up semi-float axles are a reality(and in my truck), I don't see the reason to run a FF at all. In fact, the 40 FF I've seen at Rubithon the last few years have been nothing but trouble. I can think of three broken axle shafts (same truck), broken hub studs and pins etc. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.

If you're at the point that you are breaking the Poly shafts, you should be upgrading to Dana 60s and forget about it.

With strength issues that is my point exeactly, but some people have different applications for their rigs. Not everyone is looking to push their rig to the same extremes. Anyway I've had pretty good luck lately in just picking the right line for myself and rig.

The availability of Poly Performance chrome moly axles completely changed my thinking about FF vs Semi-float. When I broke a rear semifloat on the Rubicon, I always thought I would eventually go to the FF. Now that the beefed up semi-float axles are a reality(and in my truck), I don't see the reason to run a FF at all. In fact, the 40 FF I've seen at Rubithon the last few years have been nothing but trouble. I can think of three broken axle shafts (same truck), broken hub studs and pins etc. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.

If you're at the point that you are breaking the Poly shafts, you should be upgrading to Dana 60s and forget about it.

That is well said I couldn't have said it better myself.
I am going to get the axles shafts made to almost same specs as the SF axle shafts also custom drive flanges.
I just wanted less hassle and tried to stick to Toy brakes. Also something that will be easier to maintain down the line. I still think I could endup with better axles than the stock FF with the wright parts.
I compare this to the stock FF rather than to the stock SF.
In my opinion this is better . You can tell from my suspension and tire size I am not much into offroading, but when I leave the main road water and mud can't be avoided around here. I am hoping to keep this rig for a long time and plan to get a complete aluminum body on it someday. If I do sell it ,I will keep the axles and the frame and put a complete aluminum body on them.
Thanks for all your replays
By the way when I first psted this it was as a response , I never intended this to be a buildup thread and I never had documented as such, but I had to do a lot of writing , because I was getting emails from people who wanted more info. To say the least this was not an easy undertaking and even frustrating at times,but my skills are very minimal.
Vic

Hi there, where do you get custom axle shfts made up? I need a custom 32 spline 70 series short shaft made.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom