A few things inside, something for everyone! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
search...whats that?:p

1. How to tell if my TC has a VC? besides trying to get the vc to engage by humping is there a code on the tc itself or in the door sticker..something else concrete?

2. This is something i've noticed this winter: when the cruiser is warming up from a cold start, trans will stay in third until engine coolant is almost at running temp. Usually i just putter down the road at 35-40 until it shifts into od, but tonight i really tested it and got it to hold up to 2800 rpms in third...then i let off. Is this ecu programming or :confused:

3. Why would my cruiser pull to the left? TR ends have all been replaced, rebuilt front axle not too long ago, adjusted toe, tires R&B, new steering dampner. Last week i did LT's front axle test and had play in the driver wheel from 12-6 so i pulled of the hub cover and re-torqued the wheels nuts using LT's method....still pulls. Im going to pull the pass. side wednesday and retorque also, but there was no play in that side. What should be my next step.?

TIA :cheers:

search...whats that?:p

1. How to tell if my TC has a VC? besides trying to get the vc to engage by humping is there a code on the tc itself or in the door sticker..something else concrete?

2. This is something i've noticed this winter: when the cruiser is warming up from a cold start, trans will stay in third until engine coolant is almost at running temp. Usually i just putter down the road at 35-40 until it shifts into od, but tonight i really tested it and got it to hold up to 2800 rpms in third...then i let off. Is this ecu programming or :confused:

3. Why would my cruiser pull to the left? TR ends have all been replaced, rebuilt front axle not too long ago, adjusted toe, tires R&B, new steering dampner. Last week i did LT's front axle test and had play in the driver wheel from 12-6 so i pulled of the hub cover and re-torqued the wheels nuts using LT's method....still pulls. Im going to pull the pass. side wednesday and retorque also, but there was no play in that side. What should be my next step.?

TIA :cheers:
1. Look at the TC of an LC known to have a VC and compare visually.

2. Mine does that. I figure it is some kind of safety feature probably to protect the motor from blown head gaskets or bottom end damage by allowing the motor time to heat up uniformly.

3. Not sure if you had your current set of tires on at all before all of your alignment issues were addressed, but tires that are run on a front end that is out of whack will wear with characteristics associated with that poor handling condition. If you run the same tires on the corrected front end you will still experience problems due to the uneven tire wear. If that is the case you should try putting some new/evenly worn tires on the tightened up front end.

fzjs will not shift into OD untill warmed up. I have heard that it is intended to help the engine reach operating temp sooner in order to lower emissions and increase fuel milage. I have also heard it said that it is holding gear to warm up the trans to operating temp sooner. Either way this is an engineered operation and I would just drive it normaly.

fzjs will not shift into OD untill warmed up. I have heard that it is intended to help the engine reach operating temp sooner in order to lower emissions and increase fuel milage. I have also heard it said that it is holding gear to warm up the trans to operating temp sooner. Either way this is an engineered operation and I would just drive it normaly.

That could be why my truck will also force a lower rpm shift under throttle for a short while after being started. I always thought it was because of the risk that the aluminum head will expand faster than the iron block, but maybe its to reduce emissions.

My thinking is it would be more detrimental to the engine to hold the gear and not let it shift, therefore raising the rpms the cold motor is running at. I would perfer it to not let the engine rev past a certain low and shift into the next gear...its just different than anything ive driven.

As for the alignment issue, the tires have been recently b&r but not after i adjusted the left hub and toe. maybe i can borrow your tires for a ride, i got a new tow that will make it go fast ;)

That "stuck in gear" feeling is strictly to allow the catalytic converters to come up to operating temperature as quickly as possible in order to reduce exhaust emissions. Goes to normal after water temp reaches a certain criteria, can't remember what it was on the old 1FZ engine.

Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom