a few questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 74fj40, Jun 24, 2005.

1. 74fj40

74fj40

Where do these things go and what are they for

[​IMG]

and how am i gonna figure out all this wiring?

[​IMG]

2. lingo

lingo

the one on the right goes under the radiator and crank pulley. the two in the middle are the inspection plates for the bell housing

3. fyton2v

fyton2v

Media:
    Albums:
    The wiring, as you've laid it out, should be self explanatory.

Haha. I bet I'm going to be in your exact situation in about 6 months.

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    The one at the top is a splash guard for behind one of the front wheels. Different from mine, so I don't know which side, but you should be able to figure it out from the bolt holes.

As for the harness. You need a wiring diagram for your year vehicle. It is just a jigsaw puzzle. Have fun working it out!.

5. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

The little one in the middle fits over the hole in the side of the bell housing where the clutch fork goes thru. The other side had one that was vented on the three speed being a 74 change over year it could have been the steel vented one or the rubber type that was solid with two opening pointed down.

John

6. Shawn Russell

Shawn Russell

Media:
    The on on the top left goes on the passenger side between the fuel pump and starter.

7. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    the red wire goes to the whatcha macall it and the blue one goes there and this one should go to the thingy. thats what my wires looked like and i decided just to rewire the whole damn thing, pain in the a$$. good luck

8. amandap

amandap

I also have an assortment of splash shields mostly similar to yours that I'm trying to find spots for on my 66 FJ 40. I put a 2F and four speed in it and it's a real puzzle figuring out where these shields can bolt up. Anyone got any good pics of a stock setup for at least a starting point? I'm figuring this will require some cutting and re-shaping of some of these pieces?

9. sonoranfun

sonoranfun

The middle size one that looks like a bowl goes right behind the engine so cover up the flywheel.

10. largenfirm

largenfirm

Wiring is not too bad, really - I suggest getting a large piece of cardboard, and taping the central part of the harness down.

Then, you can start labeling the connectors, and taping them down in topologicly appropriate positions. You can identify some of the connectors by matching them with unique connectors on the other components, but the best approach is to decode from a wiring diagram.

Once you know what everything is, go through the wiring with a fine-toothed comb, checking for continuity, looking for worn wires and connectors, and cleaning and repairing as you go.

Don't just abandon the harness and rewire - it's best to repair and refurb!

Kirk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.