A Few More FJ60 A/C Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I removed my old compressor and dryer today and am going to install the new stuff when it comes in tomorrow (hopefully). I bought a new dryer, belt, O-rings, and a lightly used compressor and clutch. I have been thinking of a couple of items:

1. After installing new O-rings, is it possible to use Teflon tape for the threads for a better seal on the compressor and dryer, or is it better just to tighten the fittings down dry? I just don't want any leaks with this $$$ R12 system refrigerant.

2. What are you guys typically paying to have a system vacuum tested and recharged with R12? I was quoted $ 60/lb at a shop down the street for the recharge.

3. I am not sure where the original leak was in my old system (PO said he had to refill it once a year until compressor burned out), but I am hearing that leaks are usually at fittings (i.e., compressor and dryer). Are there any other areas where FJ60s are know to develop leaks in the refrigerant lines?

Thanks.

cbmontgo said:
1. After installing new O-rings, is it possible to use Teflon tape for the threads for a better seal on the compressor and dryer?

No teflon on A/C fittings. The O-rings are all the seal you need.

cbmontgo said:
2. What are you guys typically paying to have a system vacuum tested and recharged with R12? I was quoted $ 60/lb at a shop down the street for the recharge.

Since your system has already been opened up, Find a clubmate with a compressor and gauge set/vac pump and do it yourself. Local parts house (CarQuest) is charging about $25/12z can, IIRC.

cbmontgo said:
3.Are there any other areas where FJ60s are know to develop leaks in the refrigerant lines?

The compressor front seal. The condensor, if it takes a hit from freeway debris.
I've never seen it happen, but the sightglass can also leak.
Get BG's FrigiQuiet. World's best A/C oil. And it comes with a UV dye. So if there is a leak, you'll see it under a blacklight.

I don't know for sure, but I would expect the A/C fittings to be either hydraulic-style or a simlilar special purpose fitting. Generally, these do not require teflon tape. On tapered pipe threads, the threads provide the seal and teflon tape helps with the seal. With hydraulic fittings (flare fittings, compression fittings, o-ring seal, etc.) the threads do not provide the seal. The seal is formed by the flare or o-ring mating against the seat. The treads just hold the flare/o-ring against the seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom