A few 40 questions I couldn't find answers for (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm entertaining the idea of adding a 40 to the garage to keep the 62 company and had a few questions. I searched and then even just went back 5 pages looking for it but couldn't find it.

1965 FJ40: It's with a soft top now, but is this year compatible to put the hard top with ambulance doors on?

What is possibility of adding a/c ? I live in Phoenix and wanted to use the 40 as a DD and the 62 for wheeling, so driving to work sweating doesn't sound that great. Are there links to someone who's done it? How hard and how much total money? Couldn't the ac from a later 40 be adapted?

Thanks guys!

I see CCOT sells an ac kit, but I don't know if that would work on a '65.

I think you can put the amby door top on but you will have to add a newer rear sil so that it seals right, also you will have to make new mounting holes for the bottom hinges, but it should work. There are also AC kits that will work but they are pricey.

why do you want the ambulance doors? If your soft top is original, you would have a tailgate, if not, you have half doors. Either way, when you take the top off, you don't have to fill the gap left by the ambulance doors, like in later models.

I am biased as I love the look of the half doors.

ac will be harder on the 135f motor if thats what it has still in it. this is because there are is no place to move the alt to. but it might have a later 2f in it

If it is a true soft top it might not take a hard top. Are the fixed nuts there along the sides to bolt the hard top down. The ambulance doors fit flush along the back and the early doors against the back so you would have to change both sides as well as the bottom plus spare tire carrier on the wrong side for ambulance to be opened from the inside. I been in a few 40s in Phx with a/c doesn't work that well if your getting off work at 5:00 PM and the cruiser been in the sun all day. No power steering/brakes manual transmission with the F135. I like my 40s but not as a daily DD.

John

Been there, done that. Live in Tempe AZ. Bought and installed the Vintage air unit. Running 134a freon. Unit was around $1000. Self installed. Good system. Make sure that your cooling system is in top notch condition.

I have the same question as Rabid. Why ambulance doors? I too like the look of a tailgate. Have you checked out the half-door made by Eshan from Pakistan? Seems like they'd be pretty sweet with the soft top.
I've got the CCOT a/c on my rig. It's worked ok in the past, but currently it keeps cutting on and off. Don't know enough to say whether it needs freon, it's a crappy install from the PO, or if it's just not that good of a unit. My 60 by contrast has a dealer installed York a/c and it's been working great this summer when the temperature has been in the mid to upper 90s. Could you put up a pic of your truck?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom