A Different take on DEPO/Projector convesion.....Quad projectors! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago I was preparing for my first actual road trip in my Landcruiser after about 4 years of owning it the only other road trip I took it on was for a weekend anniversary trip and it put about 800 miles on it. We were headed to Lake Tahoe from Vancouver, WA and I wanted to make for a nice drive. So I got caster plates from MetalTech to correct my alignment from the medium lift that was installed when I bought it. I also wanted to improve my lighting situation, which at the moment consisted of stock housings and HIDS. Ive done a full retrofit on my 06 Ram headlights before and while I had the money I felt like treating my self to the headlight conversion I had planned on years ago.

I currently work at a Acura dealership, and if you are familiar with retrofitting oem projectors you know that Acura OEM ones are some of the best. Well a good friend needed a headlight replaced in his 08 RDX and let me have his old one. I told my guy in parts about my plans and whoa and behold a few days later he hooked me up with the opposite side headlight.... and shortly after into the oven they went.

and here it is apart ( forgot to take pictures of both sides taken apart since this had to be a very fast build)

A week before my trip these fine pieces show up in the mail from ebay....

trim removed and less than a few minutes out of the box I had the first light into the oven....

sorry no oven pics as I had to really get this moving quickly with work during the day and other prep after such as inner front axle seals.

and the next day my goodies from theretrofitsource.com arrives and I laid everything out to begin test fitting.

Decided to build the shrouds first. Also decided on putting halos for a different effect...

well after 2 days and very very busy schedule I didnt get the chance to take any pictures of the chopping/fabbing and jb weld awesomeness, but did manage to get them done just in time to have a test run to work the day before I leave on my trip. Also plastidipped the grill, trim and corner light trim. Inner bezel on the headlights was also plastidipped just in case I didnt like it.

here another after about 3hrs of road time and first fill up...

1 hr later through the pass my driverside headlight falls out, previous owner had jb welded the tabs on and apparently all the activity didnt work out well for them and I ended my night in Redding with no corner light.

heres a example of light output while driving through shasta....

I ended up sourcing a corner light at a yard in sacramento a few minutes away from our hotel we would be staying at the next evening and it was replaced less than a day later. Unfortunately I didnt take any more light pictures since I was well on vacation. The 2000+ mile shake down went extremely well functionally. I used a regular old hi/lo hid harness for one side and then a custom one I built a few years back for another project. When I got back I decided I wanted to clean things up and make a custom shorter harness for the driver side headlight. And started with a bucket and box of scrap/spare wiring...

and made this wonderful piece....

And now all the detailed better pictures and views of the lights......

And heres the specs in plain description

Large Projector:
OEM Acura RDX projectors with retrofit source TSX clear lens conversion for maximum light output and color (these are low beam only projectors)
Apollo 2 shrouds with 100mm morimoto xb white halos and 90mm amber halos
55w d2s HID 4300k

Small projector:
retrofitsource generic mini H1 bixenon projector with mini gattling gun shroud.
moritmoto amber halo
35w H1 4300k

Wiring: Both custom relay harnesses that utilize a commonly found toyota junkyard starter relay. Wired to run all halos when parklights are on. All headlights run on low beam, and high beam functions on the minis utilizing its internal shroud.

Nice retrofit, I am in a process of gathering all the parts for my quad projectors retrofit. Will go with LS430 projectors (hope they fit) for low beam and LS460 for bi-xenon

Nice work! Has me wondering if those acura hids could be sourced from a scrap yard.
Any night shots of the high beams blazing away?

Nice work! Has me wondering if those acura hids could be sourced from a scrap yard.
Any night shots of the high beams blazing away?

Since most of the Acuras with hid projectors are fairly new it would be very rare to find one in a upull it type of yard, perhaps in a autosalvage or auto recycler that deals with late model imports would like those on car-parts.com but price at a yard would not make this feasable. Best bet is craigslist or ebay.

Since I'm currently running all 4 as a low beam I get extremely well lit ground and since my projectors in the high beam position are smaller and less power when high beams are switched on only the smaller weaker beam lights up everything above the main beams cutoff. Which is fine with me since it would just light up trees and road signs slightly better. Should I want better high beam action I would make the mini projectors point straightforward and be dedicated high beams allowing maximum stretch of the beam and height.

Compared to my dodge with the bixenon fxr conversion, the mini h1 high beam output is no where near as good. If I didn't get my main beam projectors free I would have used the fxr projectors again and run 4 bixenon to allow maximum high beam output.

Plain and simple my reasoning for my choices were that my rdx projectors were free, I could swap my 55w ballast to the minis and/or run them solely as high beams pointed straight ahead if I wanted a bigger high beam difference

Sorry for reviving an old thread.
Shadowless how hard was fitting the h1 mini into high beam housing?
I finally found a set of rhd depos out of Japan and I was thinking about doing quad h1 minis, or a mini d2s/h1 mini mix but I want to do as little cutting as possible.

Why RHD versions? Won't the beams be aimed all wrong or are you fixing that with your potential mods?

Nothing is impossible when you have fleabay. Change your user settings to USA, verify with seller that he will ship to Australia and you will achieved the impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom