A different starter issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
Done a lot of research this morning, and I see a lot of starter issues where it just clicks or does not turn over at all. My issue is the starter fires normally and sounds normal, but does not start, which to me seems like a fuel delivery issue. I had a club member say it may be a starter issue anyway, thought I would see what you guys think.....here is what happened:

So a couple of months ago I go out to my 100 at lunch and it won't start. Starter works fine, just won't catch. I think it might be low on gas, and a couple of hours later I call AAA and go down to the truck to wait...and when I try and start it, it starts instantly, no problem.
confused.gif
Last couple of months, no issues, then last night I run to Safeway and when I come out, again no start. Same issues, just filled the tank from 3/4 full a couple of days ago. I walk home (only 1.5 miles, and I was still in gym gear, shorts and sweatshirt!) and walk back a couple hours later, still no start. Call AAA to tow home. At midnight the tow truck driver calls and says he is 5 minutes out. I put the truck in neutral for the tow, and quick try to start it one more time...and of course it starts! It also started just fine this morning.

I was leaning towards the fuel filter, but that doesn't make any sense to me any more....maybe fuel pump? Since the starter sounds and acts normal, I am reluctant to replace the starter right now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

I would suspect fuel also. The simple thing to do would be to replace the fuel filter...if that's not the solution, I'd suspect the fuel pump.

I'd pray it's the filter. ;)

Steve

I would suspect fuel also. The simple thing to do would be to replace the fuel filter...if that's not the solution, I'd suspect the fuel pump.

I'd pray it's the filter. ;)

Steve

I like the idea...and probably will do it anyway...but since it happened twice randomly, I won't really know if it fixed it....

Anti-theft system, problem the the key chip maybe.

Was thinking about that, especially since I read Robbie's last column. I tried my other key and it also did not work. And why would it work again just fine a couple of hours later? Is there some sort of timer when a blank key tries to start it??

Sounds like how the pump fails in the Ls400, it acts up randomly. I believe there is a port under the rear seat to reach the pump. It's an easy R/r.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom