A cornucopia of questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I feel I have a richer smelling exhaust then I should.

87 fj60 smogged did the lean drop and all rpms are set to spec.

Did a compression test on the rig here are the results.
Also can some take a look at my plugs and see what they think. They all looked pretty consistent to me.
Those compression numbers are dry.
I have also heard that the BSVS will help with an exhaust smell. Not sure though.
Any help would be great!

ABD5B456-6CF9-4C82-B638-D6B191E55D72.png

15DC5FAC-7967-438C-8EA7-C7631B30EF19.jpeg

3461A407-4BFF-4089-B529-03EA397C076A.jpeg

870CEC3C-B4B6-41FA-B9DC-FCF629610A44.jpeg

C67D1918-8DF2-4559-96A4-EFC70071BA4A.jpeg

on what do you base your feeling (smelling, really) that your tailpipe is too rich. an FJ60 won't run as clean as a modern car. How does it idle? how is the gas mileage? Do you know your AI system and your catalytic converter is working properly? Have you done a tail pipe test?

I 2nd that notion:
Catalytic Converter

(wait until the engine and exhaust are fully up to temperature before taking a nose sniff)

on what do you base your feeling (smelling, really) that your tailpipe is too rich. an FJ60 won't run as clean as a modern car. How does it idle? how is the gas mileage? Do you know your AI system and your catalytic converter is working properly? Have you done a tail pipe test?
Yeah it’s a very rich smell!

idles really good. No complaints on the way it’s performing

gas mileage is 13-15 I have pretty short trips and a lot of weight. Front and rear bumpers,RTT, awning.
I don’t know if the cat is working properly and I have never done a tail pipe test. I assum your talking about a emissions test?

I 2nd that notion:
Catalytic Converter

(wait until the engine and exhaust are fully up to temperature before taking a nose sniff)
Your saying smell with my nose or a sniffer tester like at a emissions tester

It's amazing how well these rigs run when they need some work.
As previously mentioned, they run rich before warmed up, and they run better rich after that too. Your plugs look great. If you are concerned adjust your valves and do a vacuum test. Just ideas, good luck.

It's amazing how well these rigs run when they need some work.
As previously mentioned, they run rich before warmed up, and they run better rich after that too. Your plugs look great. If you are concerned adjust your valves and do a vacuum test. Just ideas, good luck.
This was my vacuum.

C516ED83-B1B3-4EB1-AD23-CECC6FEEAA7F.png

I get the same reading and am at 4000 ft elevation. I got a wiggle that bounces a couple inches of mercury because I think I have worn rings on #4. I understand that that is low. Your mpg's are on par. I hope someone else with more experience chimes in.

On the compression numbers are the first number and the 6th to far apart percentage wise?

The 132 is low. 6 plug does look a smidge dark compared to the others. My hunch is worn rings too.
i am from the camp of almost worst case scenario, I found broken rings and landings on two of my pistons. My plugs were wet and very stinky.

Do as the others suggest and then just enjoy the truck.

Get some quality fuel and get out on the highway. Your motor is worn, but it's probably good to go for many miles. Keep your oil changed, watch your oil level, and keep an ear out and plan for the future.
That is what I tell myself

How about a leak down test?

Get some quality fuel and get out on the highway. Your motor is worn, but it's probably good to go for many miles. Keep your oil changed, watch your oil level, and keep an ear out and plan for the future.
That is what I tell myself

How about a leak down test?
I haven’t done a leak down. I’m sure there are a good amount of posts on it!

I haven’t done a leak down. I’m sure there are a good amount of posts on it!
It’s an awkward thing to do. Takes some trial and error. You need a good strong air compressor to use it. I have a tester, if you want to try it and have a compressor (not a cheap pancake one) and I can ship it to you. Not sure I’ll need it again. Kinda a one time use tool. I bought it at Harbor Freight. Lmk.

It’s an awkward thing to do. Takes some trial and error. You need a good strong air compressor to use it. I have a tester, if you want to try it and have a compressor (not a cheap pancake one) and I can ship it to you. Not sure I’ll need it again. Kinda a one time use tool. I bought it at Harbor Freight. Lmk.
I appreciate the offer, you don’t need to do that! I will try to find one locally and see what’s what.
I haven’t heard anything on the BVSV’s. do they make a difference in rich/lean running or the exhaust smell. The exhaust doesn’t stink like eggs. Just very gas heavy smell. I feel like I’m wine tasting. Try to describe this smell.

I appreciate the offer, you don’t need to do that! I will try to find one locally and see what’s what.
I haven’t heard anything on the BVSV’s. do they make a difference in rich/lean running or the exhaust smell. The exhaust doesn’t stink like eggs. Just very gas heavy smell. I feel like I’m wine tasting. Try to describe this smell.
Stock cat? The valves are cheap. Easy to swap out. Start w/ them and then go from there to a new cat? I’m desmogged so my truck will always stink once it’s rolling again.

There's nothing wrong with your engine. Stop worrying about it and just drive it. Your compression numbers are normal for its age.
The time to start thinking about engine rebuilds is when you notice you're stalling it occasionally on start off in first gear. When that starts happening, the compression is getting pretty low though you can still drive it for thousands of miles like that just fine. It just won't have quite as much oomph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom