A clear winner between these 2 options???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if i leave out standard info...i am a TOTAL newb, but an excited one! Below are effectively same price.

Option 1: Jim Dickey addressed 87 FJ60 with about 250k miles on chasis, with Jim rebuilt engine, transmission, new brakes, new clutch, ARB bull bar, complete rust removal and paint color of my choice. Interior i would say is 7.5 or probably 8 out of 10

Option 2: 89 FJ62 with about 230k miles on chasis with newly dropped in rebuilt engine, brand new white paint job (zero rust also), new bumpers, interior 9 or maybe 9.5 out of 10, with transmission rebuild

both are wins as i am anything but mechanically inclined and they will be solid in that regard at least.

My biased reply would be the 60. +'s being known ownership, hardier transmission, bombproof 2F.

All that being said my second choice would be the 62:D.

haha...thanks. i guess i shouldnt have been so stupid to think that biased owners would actually help me with this tough decision :)

current pics of vehicles....the 60 has a lift as well, for what its worth. since its Jim's i dont worry about it having any issues and doubt thats a risky assumption.

white one is the 62 (obviously) and the gray (which would be painted my color of choice...probably fuschia, the 60
dickey2.jpg
dickey3.jpg
cars911.jpg

I like white, but I prefer the look and manual transmission of a 60. Unless there's a big difference in price, I would say this decision is 100% individual preference.

Let's see the pics!

Have you driven each of them? What do you think? I'd always choose EFI over a carb, but that's just me.

I drive my 60 and my girlfriends 62. The 62 is 'lazier', much easier to drive, but not exciting.
The 60 is a lot of fun, I prefer the manual transmission even in town. It feels more substantially built.

Whatever you do, please do not paint your cruiser fuschia... Why a hot pink cruiser? My girlfriends had purple bumpers and glitter; I power washed that crap off and primered over the purple for better resale value. I don't get it when people use bright yellow either...Ok maybe for old 40's...

How bad was the rust on the first one to start? I always like no rust.

The 62 is an all around more useful vehicle especially if you drive on the highway due to it having overdrive vs no overdrive with the 60. The efi saves a lot of headaches compared to the 2f.

Basically I had a 62 for my first cruiser and I loved it drove it everywhere, was content with it. Sold it bought a 60 couldn't stand not having overdrive or the mess of vacuum lines so decided to do an engine swap within a year.

65 is pretty close to the end of comfortable cruising speed with a 60 so just keep that in mind.

The 62 with an auto will off road better than the 60 with its not so good first gear as well.

I never trust a fresh paint job. The risk that the rust will show it's ugly face again at more places then in your nightmares about it, is too big. But if the guy who did it is trustworthy, it's a different story.
The 60 sounds better, especially because you apparently know the guy who did the rebuilds. But also I am biased, I'm sorry:D

If your not mechanically inclined then choose the FJ60 without a doubt. Cost for drive train repairs I think would be much lower and if you feel the need to learn how to work on your truck the FJ60 would be far better to cut your teeth on.
:beer:

I'd get the 60.

And only respray it as the factory color. Looks much better that way.

If you plan on wheeling "hard" and doing lots of upgrades like a lift and 35's then go with the 60. The 60 has the option of a doubler from marlin crawler. The 62 would be better for street use and moderate offroading. I love my fuel injection and the slightly higher horsepower. The one infoamous downside to the 62's are the A440F transmissions. They are horribly flawed in my opinion when they get past 200,000 miles or more. The A440F is expensive to fix and requires diligence (aka trany cooler and constant flushes.) If I were to do it all over I would get a 60 since I want to wheel hard. That being said, if you are mechanically inclined then neither model should be difficult for you. Pick based on looks or whether or not you want the control of the manual.

60 would also be my choice. There are many threads on here about the lack of a quality rebuild on 62 transmissions. They are not easy to get correct. Even if you work on them often. The 60 is basically bomb proof. Myself, I would put in a used tranny before going with a rebuild. You also have not posted up price points on the two trucks

If you plan on wheeling "hard" and doing lots of upgrades like a lift and 35's then go with the 60. The 60 has the option of a doubler from marlin crawler. The 62 would be better for street use and moderate offroading. I love my fuel injection and the slightly higher horsepower. The one infoamous downside to the 62's are the A440F transmissions. They are horribly flawed in my opinion when they get past 200,000 miles or more. The A440F is expensive to fix and requires diligence (aka trany cooler and constant flushes.) If I were to do it all over I would get a 60 since I want to wheel hard. That being said, if you are mechanically inclined then neither model should be difficult for you. Pick based on looks or whether or not you want the control of the manual.
thanks. no hard offroading and not big tires. the 62 makes more sense for me...still negotiating final price

You have to go with the 60. This seems clear to me, yes I drive a 60, but for a good reason. The auto trans in the 62 was rebuilt but won't last compared to a manual especially since the 60's was rebuilt also, the lift and bumpers takes alot of the work out of making your landcruiser more capable, and as long as the body work done on the 60 is good. I couldn't see somebody picking the 62 over that 60, unless you can't drive stick.

I never trust a fresh paint job. ...

x2.
Either of them could be really good, or not really. If you know the guy and trust his work, then that might make all the recent work done to either truck worth more. I don't know that either of those would be a 'clear winner' to me. But I do like 60's more than 62's :meh:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom