A+ certification (nerd thread)

N

nyk438

Might get a job offer to work as a CDNA (?) Basically is comptuter troubleshooting and that type of work. Now I've rebuilt/troubleshooted all my own computers, in fact the only computer that I haven't built is my laptop which I still want to take apart but it's under warranty. :D I've been told by my dad who is a tech and other people that I could pass the A+ cert test right now with what I know, my questions are how much does it costs to TAKE the test, I do not need to sit in a classroom and listen to a guy who knows the same amount as I do ro less (did this at a compUSA course). What am I looking at $40 for the book? It'd be nice to get this job and not have a fxxxin cashier job again this summer.

corbs

I don't remember exactly but it was some where between $120-200. You have to double whatever the correct amount, because there are two tests, hardware and software. I know, my memory sucks. Check the newhorizons.com website as that's the testing outfit I took my test at.

The tests aren't difficult but it is worth getting a book to learn some of the BS stuff on the test, stuff that you wouldn't normally need to know. There was some stuff that I learned only for the test and now it's completely gone (never ever used it before nor have I used it since). There's some "historical" type questions as well. . . Maybe try to find a used book, they're a lot cheaper, but make sure it's for the current test.

Good luck.

Is the cert. a requirement of the job? If not, don't bother.

I'm not a big fan of certifications. When I was working in California, the state was gettting MCSE, MCSD, MC-this-and-that for every swinging dick in the state who lost his job in the aerospace crash, getting out of jail, etc.

Lots of people came and went-- no real passion for what they do-- just hear it's a quick way to make big bucks.... I fired so many MCSEs that I lost track. I had one guy who-- courtesy of the state of California -- had every certification known to man. All the MCs, all the Cisco ones, all the A+-- everything. Guy was worthless as tits on a boar-- did not know the first thing about computers in the real world. Hired him as a technician, he couldn't setup a network if his life depended on it.

The best people in that business are the ones that are just passionate about what they do. Hell, even the ones who have degrees are overrated. The best programmers I have worked with did not have a Computer science or any type of computer degree-- most had some other type of degree, or none at all.

Steve

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star

A geek thread! I have to reply!

yea get a book and learn about SDRAM, crt monitors and ports.. and what a computer is! I took this A+ cert in college... 1300$!!! For crap!... there is some basic stuff in there, mostly an overview.. and how to count in HEX. That was about it.

Many companies do not require it... back in 2k if you had an a+ cert you could get a job for 60K! Now an a+ cert wont even get you an interview....

Net+ is better, but I'm out of the loop with schooling so Im not sure anymore. Wouldnt hurt to have it though... just dont spend over $400-$500 for it.

Safado

Kinda old, but if you want it, here's my opinion. The A+ Certification is the most worthless piece of crap out there. Wouldn't even list it on my resume if I had it. It only covers basic computer knowledge that ambitious 9 year olds have and doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you were dumb enough to give them money for it. Don't waste your time and money on it.
If it is a job requirement, and you really do have the knowledge, tell them that in the interview. Set a goal with the boss around when you should achieve it after being hired. Prove your worth and have the company pay for it. I would much rather have goal oriented employee than a paper certified one.

Prometric has the 2 A+ tests listed at $145 for each and you need both. If you have been building systems and know how to configure hardware in windows you would probably do ok in the test. I almost taught a MCSA/A+ course at the local college but the course was canceled because not enough people signed up. It would have been $3000 for the course. I got my MCSA, MCSE, MCP in 2002 ( was one of the first to take the MCSA test, Microsoft offered it free to group of people taking the MCSE tests 3 months before it went public with the test. Got my MCSA the day after I got my MCSE). I think the MCSE tests are now $125 and you needed 7 when I took them.

Kevin

Again, don't bother unless you need it for the job. These certs sound great to someone who doesn't know anything about computers, and probably reassures them, but they really don't mean that much.

THere are school innumerable who will, for a handsome piece of money guarantee that you will pass the test of your choice. And they suceeed. They teach you how to pass the test, but not necessarily to understand what it is you are doing.

That has significantly cheapened the value of these certs to many people.

Steve

They're retarded. Interviewing well will prove that you know way more than some random junk you can read in a book. I think employers are smart enough to recognize that the certs have little to no value, its like an online IQ test.

Top Bottom