A/C vents are blowing out different temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone else experience this and what was the fix?

When all temps front and rear are set to "LO"...
  • Drivers side vents are cold
  • Passenger side vents are lukewarm
  • Rear floor vents are cold
  • Rear top vents are lukewarm
So it seems the A/C system is working but has a balance/controlling issue.
Boy I hope this doesnt require a new main head unit that controls everything!

Last edited:
This is a warranty repair issue according to my dealer. I have the same issue on my 2016. I’ll be getting it done in the next week or so.

Earlier this year I got a letter from Toyota saying the fix would be covered for 7 years or 125K miles. If the dealer balks, call Toyota.

Thanks for posting...
This was a problem I didn't know I had!

Scheduled for Friday service, I knew that it didn't feel as cold as it should.

My 08 did this recently and it was low on refrigerant. Like Stonepa said, I most likely have a leak. I just did a quick, cheap refill for now and it's been blowing ice cold for the last couple weeks. Will take it out of service in the next couple weeks and fully diagnose/fix the issue.

Do you still have that letter and if so, do you mind sending me a copy of it? I’m at the dealer now and they’re trying to charge me for the fix.

Earlier this year I got a letter from Toyota saying the fix would be covered for 7 years or 125K miles. If the dealer balks, call Toyota.

Do you still have that letter and if so, do you mind sending me a copy of it? I’m at the dealer now and they’re trying to charge me for the fix.
Yes I do. I’ll take a pic and post it.

Here is the critical part of the letter I received in January, 2022. It is the insert for the owners manual documenting the free fix for the HVAC issue.

thumbnail_IMG_3430.jpg

Since the summer heat has started here in Colorado, I've noticed that the middle row defroster vents are blowing hot air while the AC is running in AUTO in front and rear (both set to 72). I have no drawer system in the vehicle as of yet, and the sensors are not blocked. I'm wondering if the TSB that @ltsr posted is the issue. In the second half of the VIN in the bulletin, they begin with an H. My VIN's second half begins with a J. It appears I _may_ be suffering this issue. However, I'm outside of the 36 months listed on the TSB. Should I be calling Toyota to confirm? Which number should I call? I do have Techstream on a laptop along with the reader. Should I be checking for DTCs? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

@joltman my LC is currently at the dealership getting this TSB applied, along with another fix. they tried to charge me for the TSB yesterday but i have the toyota platinum VSC. I'm hoping to pick it up today, I can ask the service advisor to see how much they would charge out of pocket. i'll follow back up.

my front air vents were fine, but i finally sat in the 2nd row while my wife drove and noticed the fan speed was low no matter what setting. I feel bad as i had family over last month and it must have been hot in the 2nd and 3rd rows but no one said anything to me.

Update:
(sorry I'm late reporting back)

Two weeks ago I took the vehicle in and presented the TSB to the Service Advisor. He seeemed surpised and said he never heard of it but admitted they dont see many LC's in the shop. OK fine.

A day later he called and said they reprogrammed the A/C amplifier assy and confirmed the servos are working properly. To my suprise he said the system is low on refrigerant. I'm wondering, if low on refrigerant, how can one zone of the system be blowing cold fine and the other not? I would assume it all works or it doesn't but thats just me and my limited knowledge of things.

So that day they "recharged" the system and "added dye" and it has been working fine since. If there is a leak I assume this is only temporary.

They charged...

$189 to do the diagnosis and reprogram,
$189 to recharge the system,
$110 for an oil/filter change

So if you have this issue I'd skip the reprogram and go straight to the recharge, and go from there.

He also said I need brake pads soon :(

Update:
(sorry I'm late reporting back)

Two weeks ago I took the vehicle in and presented the TSB to the Service Advisor. He seeemed surpised and said he never heard of it but admitted they dont see many LC's in the shop. OK fine.

A day later he called and said they reprogrammed the A/C amplifier assy and confirmed the servos are working properly. To my suprise he said the system is low on refrigerant. I'm wondering, if low on refrigerant, how can one zone of the system be blowing cold fine and the other not? I would assume it all works or it doesn't but thats just me and my limited knowledge of things.

So that day they "recharged" the system and "added dye" and it has been working fine since. If there is a leak I assume this is only temporary.

They charged...

$189 to do the diagnosis and reprogram,
$189 to recharge the system,
$110 for an oil/filter change

So if you have this issue I'd skip the reprogram and go straight to the recharge, and go from there.

He also said I need brake pads soon :(
My dealership tried doing the same thing.
I told them I wanted the TSB flash.

They looked at me as if I have 4 eyes.
I'm 0 for 2 with getting proper service in my area.

Toyota dealerships continue to disappoint.

I got the tsb done at no cost probably due to having extended warranty. I did ask how much out of pocket, he showed me on my paperwork that the dealer charged toyota $82.79

Does Toyota send out these recalls to owners? I always make a point to ask about recalls, etc when I bring the truck in and always they say - nothing due.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom