A/C Squeal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My A/C works like a damn champ, but all the sudden I get a squeal on occasion when accelerating or sometimes at cruisin speed. Today when it started I hit the A/C button and that put a quick end to it. That's how I figure that it was A/C related.

It does not smoke and the A/C is AWESOME. Where should I start to rid the FJ of this annoying sound? Thanks.

AC Idler pulley bearing

I had the same intermittent noise. After replacing the AC Idley pulley bearing, no more noise. It's been almost a year since replacement. Dealership sell the AC idler pulley assembly for $40.

Interesting - my squealing is heat related. My A/C works great until it gets to about 95 degrees and higher outside (when you really need A/C). Come July and August, I basically have A/C for only the first few minutes of driving.

Wonder if that assembly is my problem also?

CW

My A/C works like a damn champ, but all the sudden I get a squeal on occasion when accelerating or sometimes at cruisin speed. Today when it started I hit the A/C button and that put a quick end to it. That's how I figure that it was A/C related.

It does not smoke and the A/C is AWESOME. Where should I start to rid the FJ of this annoying sound? Thanks.

Check the belt tension and condition.

Sounds like your a\c compressor clutch. Did you check the gap to see if it is too tight\rubbing? I had a worn compressor clutch and it made all kinds of noise before i replaced it. Pretty simple too, without losing any of your R12...Anyway, just a thought.

Rather than make a new thread, curious if anyone has diagnosed this before.

Just the like originator of this thread, I only get a squeal when I tap the AC button, turning it on. Seems to also coincide with accelerating.

Figured I'd try to solve this problem in the winter, so it's smooth sailing come summer :)

Sounds like a belt but I don’t have mine hooked up so I’m not one to give much guidance. When did you last change the belt or have you ever?

Sounds like a belt but I don’t have mine hooked up so I’m not one to give much guidance. When did you last change the belt or have you ever?
I had the fan belt changed almost two years ago, that's it. It actually snapped on the highway, the day I bought the truck hah.

What does it take the replace that pulley bearing?

I was getting squeals with the AC on, so I just pressed the AC button off and forgot about the problem.

Then it was raining badly so I ran the AC for an hour and once I got home, I saw that the pulley had ground a groove into the fan shroud.

If it makes a difference, I have R134 in my system.

Thanks,

Ara D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom