A/C Recharge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, the A/C on my '95 (R134a) slowly started working less and less, and so I have a leak. My plan is to replace all the O-rings and the dryer. And while I have it open, I'll pull our the evap unit, clean the fins and such, and replace the expansion valve.

So here's my question: I don't plan on flushing the system out. How much PAG oil do I need to add back into the system? And am I forgetting anything? TIA.

If you're only be replacing the dryer, FSM calls for 10 CCs of ND-8 (same as PAG-46) oil. Take a look at the condenser before you start, if its really beat up you might want to consider replacing it.

Just the information I was looking for. And thanks for the condenser tip. Thanks.

Well, the A/C on my '95 (R134a) slowly started working less and less, and so I have a leak. My plan is to replace all the O-rings and the dryer. And while I have it open, I'll pull our the evap unit, clean the fins and such, and replace the expansion valve.

So here's my question: I don't plan on flushing the system out. How much PAG oil do I need to add back into the system? And am I forgetting anything? TIA.

While its open seriously consider pulling the evaporator and cleaning it out and or replacing it. Also replace the expansion valve at the same time. Do a search and you'll see how nasty the evaporators get over the years.

When replacing O-Rings and reconnecting fittings do yourself a favor and get a bottle of Nylog. One bottle will last you a lifetime and you won't have leaks from O-rings or connections.

Also, remove your schrader valves at all service ports and replace them with new. Use Nylog on the threads and also your service port caps (when finished recharging).

I have no affiliation with them....its just a good product that folks outside of the HVAC industry are mostly unaware of. I never do A/C work (lines, connections, O-rings) without it.

Nylog.jpg

So you coat the o-rings with the Nylog instead of the AC lubricating oil?

So you coat the o-rings with the Nylog instead of the AC lubricating oil?

Yes, and also put some any mating surfaces that join together and any threaded parts. It will stay flexible forever, will not make parts hard to disassemble later (easier actually) and is completely compatible with refrigerants (don't worry about getting into the system).

O-rings and Shrader Valves (and caps) are common leak points. Corroded lines, damaged Condensers, Corroded Evaporators...probably next. Front seal of compressor is usually a slow leak...but nearly last on the list.

A/C work in usually a PITA and not something you want to have to do twice. Nylog is cheap insurance you won't have leaks in areas you have used it.

Going to give the Nylog a try. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom